Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse slums/ghettos?
Baltimore(Bodymore) 93 30.29%
Detroit 214 69.71%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:50 AM

37,130 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I actually think Detroit has more major cities closer by than Baltimore:

Four hour limit outside Baltimore nets you 1)Richmond, 2)Hampton Roads/Tidewater, 3)Pittsburgh, 4)DC, 5)Philadelphia and 6)NYC.

Four hour limit outside Detroit nets you 1)Chicago, 2)Toronto, 3)Buffalo, 4)Cleveland, 5)Columbus, 6)Indianapolis, 7)Cincinnati, 8)Grand Rapids. Add 22 minutes more, and you also net 9)Pittsburgh.

Plus, if you want to count some midsize cities Kalamazoo (330,000), Flint (400,000), Fort Wayne (400,000), Lansing (500,000), London Ontario (500,000), and Toledo (600,000).

I don't think there will ever be anything slated between Detroit proper to Toronto. You will have to connect on the Light Rail to go downtown to the border, than take the bus across the border, then get off at the Windsor train station. They are building a new bridge - I know it would be too much for planners to think about adding a rail line on it...sigh....
You're right. I guess it's a bit of a toss-up when you're weighing how close the other cities are (in Baltimore's case, Philadelphia and DC are very close and quite large) and how many cities there are--the overarching point being that neither is isolated.

It'd be amazing if there were better border crossing procedures and Via Rail actually did cross through Windsor to Detroit as one continuous line from Quebec City out to Chicago via Montreal, Toronto, and Detroit. Also if the line that went through NYC also went through that patch of Canada. Planning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 08:02 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're right. I guess it's a bit of a toss-up when you're weighing how close the other cities are (in Baltimore's case, Philadelphia and DC are very close and quite large) and how many cities there are--the overarching point being that neither is isolated.

It'd be amazing if there were better border crossing procedures and Via Rail actually did cross through Windsor to Detroit as one continuous line from Quebec City out to Chicago via Montreal, Toronto, and Detroit. Also if the line that went through NYC also went through that patch of Canada. Planning!
I find it hard to believe but true that you can drive across the Baltimore Metro area from the Philly Metro area to the Washington Metro Area in an hour (51 miles as the crow flies.)

Old 01-12-2017, 11:32 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I actually think Detroit has more major cities closer by than Baltimore:

Four hour limit outside Baltimore nets you 1)Richmond, 2)Hampton Roads/Tidewater, 3)Pittsburgh, 4)DC, 5)Philadelphia and 6)NYC.

Four hour limit outside Detroit nets you 1)Chicago, 2)Toronto, 3)Buffalo, 4)Cleveland, 5)Columbus, 6)Indianapolis, 7)Cincinnati, 8)Grand Rapids. Add 22 minutes more, and you also net 9)Pittsburgh.

Plus, if you want to count some midsize cities Kalamazoo (330,000), Flint (400,000), Fort Wayne (400,000), Lansing (500,000), London Ontario (500,000), and Toledo (600,000).
Yeah Detroit has a couple more 1M+ metros within a four hour drive. If you count midsized cities though, Baltimore has Wilmington, Harrisburg, Allentown/Bethlehem, Scranton/Wilkes Barre, etc. close by as well as smaller regional destinations like Annapolis, Ocean City (MD and NJ), Rehoboth Beach, Cape May, Atlantic City, Shenandoah, the Poconos, etc.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:55 AM

10 posts, read 18,305 times
Detroit, by a meter. Been there a few times...it reminds me of brooklyn back in the day with its isolation and bombed out buildings, abandoned factorys and stray dogs walking the street. Barbed wire fences, urban prairies, and sidewalks that look like a bomb was detonated on them.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:28 AM

555 posts, read 861,782 times
I've never been to Baltimore, but have been to Detroit many times for music festivals. It looks like a war torn 3rd world country. I'd be surprised if Baltimore was even close to Detroit in this category.

Sidenote: Detroit is awesome for photography for all the ruined and older abandoned buildings

Old 09-08-2019, 10:21 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Detroit. Baltimore is not as bad as people make it out to be. And crime is going down
Not anymore, lol. Baltimore's on track to surpass it's all time homicide record this year. You posted this before Freddy Grey.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:22 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
I've never been to Baltimore, but have been to Detroit many times for music festivals. It looks like a war torn 3rd world country. I'd be surprised if Baltimore was even close to Detroit in this category.

Sidenote: Detroit is awesome for photography for all the ruined and older abandoned buildings
Baltimore and Philadelphia also have thousands of abandoned buildings.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:27 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Detroit. Baltimore is not nearly as desolate as Detroit, it has plenty of help being within the DC-Boston corridor, isn't bankrupt, and Baltimore doesn't have the "abandoned" feel Detroit, and other Midwestern rust belt slums have.

That said, efforts are definitely under way in gentrifying the slums of Detroit.

Edit: Forget abandoned buildings, another category Detroit trumps BMore in is vacant lots. Tons more in Detroit without question.

Last edited by CCrest182; 09-08-2019 at 10:36 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 09:51 AM

52 posts, read 36,359 times
Yes both these cities have horrible slums but I think Detroit is in worse overall state then Baltimore.more abandoned land more abandoned houses and just looks terrible in certain areas. I wouldn’t feel safe driving an armored tank through some of those areas at night.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Detroit. Baltimore is not nearly as desolate as Detroit, it has plenty of help being within the DC-Boston corridor, isn't bankrupt, and Baltimore doesn't have the "abandoned" feel Detroit, and other Midwestern rust belt slums have.

That said, efforts are definitely under way in gentrifying the slums of Detroit.

Edit: Forget abandoned buildings, another category Detroit trumps BMore in is vacant lots. Tons more in Detroit without question.
I agree. As a person whose profession is working with vacant buildings in Baltimore, what always strikes me is that most of the houses that have been abandoned are either still standing vacants or rehabbed and reoccupied former vacants. The number that has been demolished is relatively small when compared with Detroit, etc. A brick rowhouse can sometimes survive decades of abandonment and still be brought back.

Not only is Baltimore not bankrupt, it ran a secret surplus in the current year's budget. I don't think the politicians want anyone to know that because it would drive demands for major cuts in state aid. The city should have cut taxes instead of keeping the surplus under wraps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City