Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More favorable impression? Boston or Philadelphia
I prefer city of Boston moreso than Philadlephia 23 46.00%
City of Philadelphia appeals to me more than Boston 17 34.00%
I have a more favorable impression of metro Boston 4 8.00%
I Prefer Philly metro moreso than Bostons 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 12:21 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times

Advertisements

I think I would feel more at home in Philly than Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 04:57 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Except in sports.
Truth lol. Philly sports teams make me want to drive over the Walt Whitman in reverse.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:32 AM

385 posts, read 400,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdefinitely View Post
I honestly found DC more intriguing of a city than Boston.

Philadelphia is incredibly gritty IMO. Very blue collar town for the most part. Lived there for 3-4 years. Lived near some bad areas but any Philadelphiean knows how infamous North Philly neighborhoods are. Even then, I have walked in the ghettos of Philly after 12am alone and a few people just gave me nods. Was never bothered.

Boston reminded me of a much bigger, loud Providence, RI. And I'm a fan of Providence.

DC to me was a very unique city, it had the similar idea that one part of town (N. Philly as comparison) that if ignored, the rest of the city is great and vibrant. It felt relatively safe.

Boston feels much safer than DC and Philly which is definitely a plus.
I think Philadelphia being gritty adds to its charm. The gritty , and edge and straight up attitude gives it that shock and charm in some strange way. I cant imagine this city being any other way. The city may be historic but i think the grit will let you know you aren't living on the pacific coast highway lol. But i've never been to Boston but from reading posts and seeing pictures i do feel we both have similarities ...like one big family.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:36 PM

251 posts, read 307,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
I think Philadelphia being gritty adds to its charm. The gritty , and edge and straight up attitude gives it that shock and charm in some strange way. I cant imagine this city being any other way. The city may be historic but i think the grit will let you know you aren't living on the pacific coast highway lol. But i've never been to Boston but from reading posts and seeing pictures i do feel we both have similarities ...like one big family.

Philly is looser and edgier. Boston is cleaner and uptight.

I choose Philly quite easily. Also people wise too.

Boston is cool though.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:46 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Agreed. Philly is definitely a city that grows on you and doesn't let go once it has you.

This statement is so true lol.

"The city that loves you back."
True story. I've been to Philly about six times and I like it even more each time I visit. I'm a New England native so my loyalties are with Boston, but Philly is my favorite city on the East Coast to visit.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:07 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfart View Post
Boston is uptight.
Since when?

Old 12-24-2014, 06:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times
Quote:
Well, Boston is whiter (honkier) and cleaner. Its nice but kinda fake to me, thus unattainable.

Philly has a large AA influence that Boston doesn't and you can kinda feel it.

As a white dude from a diverse upstate NY city, I gravitate towards Philly. More real and gritty.
So white people are fake?

Old 12-24-2014, 09:10 AM

251 posts, read 307,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
So white people are fake?
I like diversity and I like grit and character.

Boston is very homogenous and white in comparison to other cities of it's stature and it's also too pristine. It almost does seem fake to me. I like my cities to have some grit and edginess to them. Paris, London, Philadelphia, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc all do. I like clean but it's almost too clean.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:40 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
I'm more familiar with Philly, but both cities give a good impression. There are probably larger areas of Philly that are not nice (in terms of safety, etc) compared to Boston, but I used to go to Philly a lot when I lived on the east coast and most of the city is beautiful. It's got a unique feel to it with the colonial feel, and it doesn't seem overly gentrified compared to a lot of other cities.

I've been to Boston a couple times in the summer, and around the Charles River is gorgeous. Also I loved the downtown too, and the housing stock in the neighborhoods. it also has that same colonial feel that runs through the city like Philly.

2 east coast gems.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:55 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
I like diversity and I like grit and character.

Boston is very homogenous and white in comparison to other cities of it's stature and it's also too pristine. It almost does seem fake to me. I like my cities to have some grit and edginess to them. Paris, London, Philadelphia, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc all do. I like clean but it's almost too clean.
Dont let facts get in the way.....

http://www.cityofboston.gov/newbosto...dem_report.pdf

http://priceonomics.com/the-most-and...es-in-america/

Or the Boston Public Schools valedictorian list:

Boston’s 2013 valedictorians - Metro - The Boston Globe

Ever visited Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan, East Boston, Allston, Cambridge, Somerville, Malden, Quincy, Everett? Not exactly the picture you paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City