Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:57 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
The one thing I wish Tampa had is a good public transportation system with decent options. I heard something about a future light rail system?
Its in the works. Its all planned out, it just needs to get voter approval. Its great that the High speed rail is underway though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 12:41 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Its in the works. Its all planned out, it just needs to get voter approval. Its great that the High speed rail is underway though.
Yeah that will be nice instead of having to drive to Orlando. How fast will it get you to O-Town like 30 minutes? That would be great for Magic games.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:20 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Of course it wasn't to my satisfaction because it didn't answer the question.
Yes I did. You just didn't like the answer, LOL.

Quote:
So Charleston has a internationally acclaimed festival. If its so acclaimed why haven't I heard of it.
Because maybe you don't know much about internationally acclaimed performing arts festivals? But if you're questioning the validity of my statement, here's your proof:

Culturally vibrant, Charleston nurtures theater, dance, music, and visual arts, showcased each spring during the internationally acclaimed Spoleto Festival USA.
Charleston and Beyond - New York Times

For 17 glorious days in late May and early June, Charleston gets a dose of culture from the Spoleto Festival USA. This internationally acclaimed performing-arts festival features a mix of distinguished artists and emerging talent from around the world.
Spoleto Festival USA | Charleston Features | Fodor's Travel Guides

Quote:
Tampa has parades and festivals too.
But it doesn't have an internationally acclaimed performing arts festival. Spoleto USA isn't just any old festival, so you can't sweep this under the "Tampa has that too" category because it doesn't.

Quote:
Charleston has nationally renown cuisine, so does Tampa, with nationally acclaimed restaurants such as The Columbia, and Bern's Steak House, and have you ever eaten a Cuban sandwich? It was invented in Tampa.
No, not just a restaurant here and there; nationally-renowned cuisine along with the nationally acclaimed restaurants. People come to the Charleston for the food (among other things).

"Charleston is one of the few American cities that can claim a distinctive regional cuisine."
USATODAY - Guides - Charleston

Quote:
Charleston has Plantations and Gardens. Tampa has Gardens but no plantations in the immediate city limits.
Not just plantations and gardens--historic plantations and gardens. I'm not talking about an amusement park like Busch Gardens here so you can point to that and say, "See, we have gardens!" In Charleston, you have:

• Magnolia Plantation and Gardens, a 17th century estate, acquired in 1676 by the Drayton family, which features America’s oldest gardens (c.1680)

• Boone Hall Plantation, one of America's oldest working, living plantations which dates back to the mid-1700's

• Middleton Place, an 18th century rice plantation and National Historic Landmark comprising 65 acres of America’s oldest landscaped gardens

And a few others.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if Charleston has historical sites and buildings more important than Tampa's. That wasn't the question I asked.
Dude, we can't have an honest dialogue if I point out things that Charleston has that Tampa doesn't and then you say "That doesn't matter." Again, in Charleston you have:

• Fort Moultrie, which is where the first American victory over the British Navy occurred in 1776

• Fort Sumter, where the first shots of the Civil War were fired in 1861

• Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon, considered to be one of the three most historically significant Colonial buildings in the nation, was built in 1771 and was where various signers of the Declaration of Independence were held prisoner during the Revolutionary War

• The Charleston Museum, the first museum built in America, founded in 1773

• Congregation Beth Elohim, the fourth oldest synagogue in the United States and the oldest in continuous use

• Heyward-Washington House, home of Thomas Heyward, Jr., signer of the Declaration of Independence and temporary residence of George Washington during a stay in the city

And there are others. These are historical sites of a much higher caliber than what's in Tampa, so you can't just point to an old church or courthouse in Tampa and say, "See, we have those too." Again, I'm not talking about any old historic site or building, but those that are significantly nationally. A couple of other cities can say they have historic sites and buildings like these, but Tampa's not one of them.

Quote:
Tampa just has more to offer, and you can almost find everything in Tampa that you can in Charleston but more.
Ahhh, I see now you had to amend your statement to say "ALMOST everything" since I've demonstrated that Tampa doesn't have everything that Charleston has. At least you're giving Charleston some credit here (but not quite enough, IMO).

Old 08-16-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Yes I did. You just didn't like the answer, LOL.

Because maybe you don't know much about internationally acclaimed performing arts festivals? But if you're questioning the validity of my statement, here's your proof:

Culturally vibrant, Charleston nurtures theater, dance, music, and visual arts, showcased each spring during the internationally acclaimed Spoleto Festival USA.
Charleston and Beyond - New York Times

For 17 glorious days in late May and early June, Charleston gets a dose of culture from the Spoleto Festival USA. This internationally acclaimed performing-arts festival features a mix of distinguished artists and emerging talent from around the world.
Spoleto Festival USA | Charleston Features | Fodor's Travel Guides

But it doesn't have an internationally acclaimed performing arts festival. Spoleto USA isn't just any old festival, so you can't sweep this under the "Tampa has that too" category because it doesn't.

No, not just a restaurant here and there; nationally-renowned cuisine along with the nationally acclaimed restaurants. People come to the Charleston for the food (among other things).

"Charleston is one of the few American cities that can claim a distinctive regional cuisine."
USATODAY - Guides - Charleston

Not just plantations and gardens--historic plantations and gardens. I'm not talking about an amusement park like Busch Gardens here so you can point to that and say, "See, we have gardens!" In Charleston, you have:

• Magnolia Plantation and Gardens, a 17th century estate, acquired in 1676 by the Drayton family, which features America’s oldest gardens (c.1680)

• Boone Hall Plantation, one of America's oldest working, living plantations which dates back to the mid-1700's

• Middleton Place, an 18th century rice plantation and National Historic Landmark comprising 65 acres of America’s oldest landscaped gardens

And a few others.

Dude, we can't have an honest dialogue if I point out things that Charleston has that Tampa doesn't and then you say "That doesn't matter." Again, in Charleston you have:

• Fort Moultrie, which is where the first American victory over the British Navy occurred in 1776

• Fort Sumter, where the first shots of the Civil War were fired in 1861

• Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon, considered to be one of the three most historically significant Colonial buildings in the nation, was built in 1771 and was where various signers of the Declaration of Independence were held prisoner during the Revolutionary War

• The Charleston Museum, the first museum built in America, founded in 1773

• Congregation Beth Elohim, the fourth oldest synagogue in the United States and the oldest in continuous use

• Heyward-Washington House, home of Thomas Heyward, Jr., signer of the Declaration of Independence and temporary residence of George Washington during a stay in the city

And there are others. These are historical sites of a much higher caliber than what's in Tampa, so you can't just point to an old church or courthouse in Tampa and say, "See, we have those too." Again, I'm not talking about any old historic site or building, but those that are significantly nationally. A couple of other cities can say they have historic sites and buildings like these, but Tampa's not one of them.

Ahhh, I see now you had to amend your statement to say "ALMOST everything" since I've demonstrated that Tampa doesn't have everything that Charleston has. At least you're giving Charleston some credit here (but not quite enough, IMO).
Yes, I amended my statement because up until you last post, your didn't answer my question the way I intended it to be answered. But now you have.

Spoleto Festival USA seems cool, but its not so great that I wouldn't put that into a category of Parades and festivals which I do. Tampa has that. It just depends on what kind of Festival/Parade your looking for.

No, Its not a couple of restaurants that make Tampa Cuisine so special, its the rich blends of Spanish, Italian, Latin, Cuban and Greek foods as well as great local seafood. Anyone who knows anything about Tampa Cuisine would agree that its very underrated and one of Tampa's best kept secrets.

Yes, Charleston has Plantations in which Tampa does not have. And I know they are Historic, that seemed pretty obvious. But Tampa does have Gardens, like the USF botanical gardens, Plant Park, and Eureka springs park. and though I wasn't talking about Busch Gardens, I should because the grounds there are beautiful.

I would put History into a Category as well. Both cities have historic sites. Though Charleston has more rich and nationally relevant history, Tampa has quite a history to that most don't know about.

Please understand that I am not taking anything from Charleston. I know very much of its historical significance, and its old southern charm and culture. I just think Tampa has a little bit of that itself that most people don't know about, plus a lot more which IMO makes me think Tampa is the better overall city.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:55 AM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Spoleto Festival USA seems cool, but its not so great that I wouldn't put that into a category of Parades and festivals which I do. Tampa has that. It just depends on what kind of Festival/Parade your looking for.
The Spoleto Festival has an international reputation and attracts a remarkable pool of talent from all corners of the globe. So I would agree that it's not in the same category as any parades and festivals in Tampa. It's well beyond.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The Spoleto Festival has an international reputation and attracts a remarkable pool of talent from all corners of the globe. So I would agree that it's not in the same category as any parades and festivals in Tampa. It's well beyond.
Well, if one doesn't care for performing arts, than it would be just another parade.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:18 AM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Well, if one doesn't care for performing arts, than it would be just another parade.
Well, yes, I suppose. Just another parade. Profiter de la vie commune.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 13,697 times
Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. Its cheaper to live in Tampa and even though the roads are not the greatest in the bay area they are way better than Charleston. When it comes to Greek though, it is pretty hard to beat Tarpon Springs, and still be in the US. I absolutely loved the TB area when I lived there. I can't say the same for Charleston, though there are worse places. I met some nice people there, and still have friends there, but Charleston is not my cup of tea. There is one thing I can think of that the Charleston area has that the bay area doesn't have within a reasonable distance and that is the ability to take a drive in your car and not meet another car for some time. In other words, you can get out and enjoy some relaxing driving. Hard to get that in the TB area.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:59 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with anything? I suppose if one doesn't like Sports, then Tampa's sports are irrelevant to the conversation. If this is your argument, what's the point in having a discussion?

I like both, but I think Charleston is unique enough to win for me. I've been to the Spoleto Festival (on accident), and it was the best festival I've ever been to!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What does this have to do with anything? I suppose if one doesn't like Sports, then Tampa's sports are irrelevant to the conversation. If this is your argument, what's the point in having a discussion?

I like both, but I think Charleston is unique enough to win for me. I've been to the Spoleto Festival (on accident), and it was the best festival I've ever been to!
My point went right over your head. I'm sure Spoleto festival is great, but Tampa has festivals too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City