Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Charlotte or Knoxville?
Knoxville 7 26.92%
Charlotte 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,465 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that Although Knoxville, Tn is quit a bit smaller then Charlotte, Nc it still has just as much to do. From what I can see, it appears that Knoxville is a Medium-Sized city that has alot of different festivals, its real laid back, alot of different festivals and things of that nature. Overall just a real "homey" feel. It seems to be a rather small city with ALOT to do and alot of stuff doing on for it. At first I was thinkin Charlotte is where I want to be but then I'm starting to think to myself that Knoxville is friendlier, more southern in culture, less crime even then the city center of Charlotte (unless your in a suburb). They have a rather high 9% tax rate but no income tax. I did the Cost-Of-Liveing Calculator online and even though you dont get paid as much in Knoxville it makes up for in low cost of liveing. Would most people choose Charlotte simply cuz ints the "in" thing to do? For the true southerners born N' bred, which would you choose personally ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
If you want a "more Southern" city, go with Knoxville. Personally, I prefer Charlotte and think it has more to offer.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
If you want a "more Southern" city, go with Knoxville. Personally, I prefer Charlotte and think it has more to offer.

Anyway you could elaborate?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Charlotte has professional sports, hosts major events from time to time, has a new, state-of-the-art cultural campus, and several other amenities that Knoxville doesn't have. Also, since it's been growing much faster over the past several years than Knoxville, there have been more non-Southerners moving here that has somewhat altered or diluted the local Southern flavor. Knoxville has been growing more slowly, so it doesn't have that to worry about.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I really don't see a valid comparison here. Charlotte is a much larger city and is on a completely different tier than Knoxville. A more valid comparison to Knoxville would be Chattanooga, Winston-Salem or Greensboro.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I really don't see a valid comparison here. Charlotte is a much larger city and is on a completely different tier than Knoxville. A more valid comparison to Knoxville would be Chattanooga, Winston-Salem or Greensboro.

Ther'es not, it's strictly for me tryin to decide which city is better in all aspects. I'm tryin to decide between the two. which would YOU choose? or could you answer any of the question listed about the two?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Ther'es not, it's strictly for me tryin to decide which city is better in all aspects. I'm tryin to decide between the two. which would YOU choose? or could you answer any of the question listed about the two?
I've never been a big fan of Knoxville; I've found it to be a rather homely city in the middle of a beautiful area. You wouldn't think so since it's home to UT, but I find it to be one of the most unimpressive campuses I've seen...too much concrete.
Charlotte I like very much; nice city, good downtown, lovely neighborhoods. My sister and niece both live there and love it.
Keep in mind that my impressions of Knoxville are just that...impressions formed over years of consulting at the UT campus. I always seem to ruffle some Knoxvilleans' feathers, as many that post on here seem to really like it.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:08 AM

331 posts, read 903,871 times
Charlotte is more well rounded than Knoxville IMO

Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Charlotte

Old 08-19-2010, 10:37 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
It seems to me that Although Knoxville, Tn is quit a bit smaller then Charlotte, Nc it still has just as much to do. From what I can see, it appears that Knoxville is a Medium-Sized city that has alot of different festivals, its real laid back, alot of different festivals and things of that nature. Overall just a real "homey" feel. It seems to be a rather small city with ALOT to do and alot of stuff doing on for it. At first I was thinkin Charlotte is where I want to be but then I'm starting to think to myself that Knoxville is friendlier, more southern in culture, less crime even then the city center of Charlotte (unless your in a suburb). They have a rather high 9% tax rate but no income tax. I did the Cost-Of-Liveing Calculator online and even though you dont get paid as much in Knoxville it makes up for in low cost of liveing. Would most people choose Charlotte simply cuz ints the "in" thing to do? For the true southerners born N' bred, which would you choose personally ?
Why consider Charlotte and not Nashville????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City