Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Charlotte or Knoxville?
Knoxville 7 26.92%
Charlotte 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:42 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Why consider Charlotte and not Nashville????????

Well, good point. If the crime is soo high in Charlotte then why not move to Nashville because the crime isn't any different. Are there any good suburbs right outside the city that dont have soo much crime. (This is what I was going to do if moveing to Charlotte). Plus I do love country music!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Well, good point. If the crime is soo high in Charlotte then why not move to Nashville because the crime isn't any different. Are there any good suburbs right outside the city that dont have soo much crime. (This is what I was going to do if moveing to Charlotte). Plus I do love country music!
As with most cities, crime is pretty much localized to certain pockets of the city that most people know to stay away from. Find the right neighborhood and it's not going to be much of an issue.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
As with most cities, crime is pretty much localized to certain pockets of the city that most people know to stay away from. Find the right neighborhood and it's not going to be much of an issue.
I know that city of Charlotte has a higher crime rate overall then i like to even think of but I understand that N. Charlotte (Not Huntersville etc.) but within the loop. Is this true. If not I was considerin Concord. I like everything about there except not knowin how much into the race track i could get into. But assumin I wanna be inside the city limits of Charlotte. How is N. Charlotte?

Old 08-20-2010, 04:07 AM

187 posts, read 460,253 times
Charlotte Vs Knoxville isn't even a real comparsion...You're comparing NC's biggest city against TN's 3rd biggest city...I was born and raised in Knox and i lived in Charlotte for almost 2 years...Theres no comparsion between the two at all...A fair comparsion would be Winston Salem or Greensboro VS Knox...Then Knox would probably be better than both those cities...Charlotte is a good city..Theres nothing wrong with it that can't be found in other cities as well...The crime in Charlotte is not really all that much worse than any other city its size...Nashville and Memphis both,As well New Orleans..All about the same size as Charlotte...They all have higher crime rates than Charlotte...Most of the crime there isn't random..Minus the few dumb people who leaves valuables out in plain view and then when there car or house gets broken into it makes the city look bad..It really isn't tho

Old 08-20-2010, 02:40 PM

Let me make all posters aware that I am aware that Charlotte and Knoxville are not good comparisons for many reasons however due to the fact that I am trying to compare the two to get an idea of which city I would be happier in I am doing so... I need differences. Can anybody tell me why one might be better then the other considering my wants.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:56 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,064 times
You are going to have more choices as far as shopping, eating out, concerts, clubs, a better airport, and public transit in Charlotte.

If you prefer the smaller-city feel, college town vibe with awesome scenery Knoxville is best for you.

Charlotte is growing fast, and while traffic is not as bad as it is in other cities the same size, it is progressively getting worse. I've been in CLT 5 years and have never been a victim of crime. There are lots of families and transplants here.

The two cities are really different. It's all about what vibe you want the most.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
You are going to have more choices as far as shopping, eating out, concerts, clubs, a better airport, and public transit in Charlotte.

If you prefer the smaller-city feel, college town vibe with awesome scenery Knoxville is best for you.

Charlotte is growing fast, and while traffic is not as bad as it is in other cities the same size, it is progressively getting worse. I've been in CLT 5 years and have never been a victim of crime. There are lots of families and transplants here.

The two cities are really different. It's all about what vibe you want the most.

I guess now I need to figure out the differences in the vibes between the the two cities. I should ask between the two cities from people have visited or been to both what vibe did they get about the place. I am leaning torward Knoxville at the moment but that could change. Considering im in Columbus right now. I did a Cost-of-Liveing comparison and Charlotte would be a little more to live but houseing would be cheaper, knoxville it would take less to live overall, more natural beauty, better college (since I will be attending), less traffic, better roads etc. But im only about 90% sure...

Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Ultimately what type of filed of work are you looking at? This is also something worht considering. I would choose Charlotte because of the ammenities and the continued progression. Don't be fooled, even with the transplants this area is still Southern, but more of New South. I encourage you to visit both areas. BTW, the safest part is South Charlotte. Stay away from certain parts of East Charlotte and West Charlotte. The closer to the perimeter of the city you get, the better. The exception is the actual center city, arguably the safest part of town.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:18 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
I guess now I need to figure out the differences in the vibes between the the two cities. I should ask between the two cities from people have visited or been to both what vibe did they get about the place. I am leaning torward Knoxville at the moment but that could change. Considering im in Columbus right now. I did a Cost-of-Liveing comparison and Charlotte would be a little more to live but houseing would be cheaper, knoxville it would take less to live overall, more natural beauty, better college (since I will be attending), less traffic, better roads etc. But im only about 90% sure...
From everything you've posted, it seems as though Knoxville is more your speed.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Ultimately what type of filed of work are you looking at? This is also something worht considering. I would choose Charlotte because of the ammenities and the continued progression. Don't be fooled, even with the transplants this area is still Southern, but more of New South. I encourage you to visit both areas. BTW, the safest part is South Charlotte. Stay away from certain parts of East Charlotte and West Charlotte. The closer to the perimeter of the city you get, the better. The exception is the actual center city, arguably the safest part of town.

I couldn't afford S. Charlotte if I wanted too lol, I have been wondering however, what the crime is like in N. Charlotte. To me it seems the most affordable while still keeping most of its safety. Is this an accurate dipiction of this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City