Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will LA's CSA pass NYC CSA in the Future?
Yes, LA will pass NY 39 22.94%
No, LA will not Pass NY 90 52.94%
Yes, LA will pass NYC not by a lot 15 8.82%
No, LA will not pass NYC but will come close 35 20.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Bro24 View Post
Thats not right But I guess they do need PA to keep the number spot!

not right how - Dude do you ever leave CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 07:16 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
New York City CSA: 22,232,494 (+4.08%)
Los Angeles CSA: 17,820,893 (+8.84%)

New York City MSA: 19,069,796 (+4.08%)
Los Angeles MSA: 12,874,797 (+4.12%)
Riverside MSA: 4,143,113 (+27.29%)

New York City: 8,391,881
Los Angeles: 3,831,868

If it does happen (which I do think it will) it will all be thanks to Riverside's growth. Los Angeles MSA is seeing modest growth rates. Where as right now Riverside is blowing up, similar to the way Phoenix did, Riverside LITERALLY came out of no where and nearly added 1 million people this decade, which is large for any metropolitan area of its size.

Here are some California state population predictions and Riverside's role in it all- here is an excerpt:
Quote:
Over the next half-century, California's population will explode by nearly 75%, and Riverside will surpass its bigger neighbors to become the second most populous county after Los Angeles, according to state Department of Finance projections released Monday.

California will near the 60-million mark in 2050, the study found, raising questions about how the state will look and function and where all the people and their cars will go. Dueling visions pit the iconic California building block of ranch house, big yard and two-car garage against more dense, high-rise development.
Another excerpt:
Quote:
Southern California's population is projected to grow at a rate of more than 60%, according to the new state figures, reaching 31.6 million by mid-century. That's an increase of 12.1 million over just seven counties.

L.A. County alone will top 13 million by 2050, an increase of almost 3.5 million residents.
Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jul...e-population10

People need to remember Los Angeles has become a hotbed for immigration from Asia & Mexico, and will continue to be. Even in hard economical times, most want Los Angeles (including people who live there) to lose some population to sustain itself better economically but it will continue adding more people along the way. It just like New York City is a major port of entry, and it is increasing on immigration more.

But its just my opinion though that Los Angeles CSA will surpass New York City's CSA, I haven't really factored nor thought about the possibility of Philadelphia or San Diego mergers. But I probably don't want to either (as I don't have the raw statistics to say when or if these will ever happen), I'm just talking about raw growth from what they have already right now.

Remember, this is all my opinion though.

And to Bro: I tried repping you, its weird, its been like a week and a half and it still tells me to spread the rep around before giving it back to you. I guess I need to go out there and start repping random people LOL just to get this done!

PS- I also hope you guys realize that Los Angeles has the MOST room to grow out of any CSA in the country, a whopping 32,000+ square miles. Even with mountains taking a good 5,000 square miles or so, it still has lots of barren land to grow larger. Here is a visual:

Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 PM

62 posts, read 79,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well merging of two smaller CSA/MSA makes a smaller one

Philly and NYC may be merged this census, it only missed by less than 1% on one county in 2000. So the answer is no, the combined NYC/Philly CSA will be over 30 million soon.

And the connection of Philly and NYC metros is already much more cohesive and significant than is the LA and SD relationship, they are also far closer
Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LA isn't far behind, considering theres so much land being developed and so much more space waiting to be used I think LA will pass NY! LA CSA is Growing faster than the NYC CSA as well. Peace It's my opinion. I respect your opinion as well.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post

If it does happen (which I do think it will) it will all be thanks to Riverside's growth. Los Angeles MSA is seeing modest growth rates. Where as right now Riverside is blowing up, similar to the way Phoenix did, Riverside LITERALLY came out of no where and nearly added 1 million people this decade, which is large for any metropolitan area of its size.

Here are some California state population predictions and Riverside's role in it all- here is an excerpt:

Another excerpt:

Source: 60 million Californians by midcentury - Los Angeles Times

People need to remember Los Angeles has become a hotbed for immigration from Asia & Mexico, and will continue to be. Even in hard economical times, most want Los Angeles (including people who live there) to lose some population to sustain itself better economically but it will continue adding more people along the way. It just like New York City is a major port of entry, and it is increasing on immigration more.

But its just my opinion though that Los Angeles CSA will surpass New York City's CSA, I haven't really factored nor thought about the possibility of Philadelphia or San Diego mergers. But I probably don't want to either (as I don't have the raw statistics to say when or if these will ever happen), I'm just talking about raw growth from what they have already right now.

And to Bro: I tried repping you, its weird, its been like a week and a half and it still tells me to spread the rep around before giving it back to you. I guess I need to go out there and start repping random people LOL just to get this done!

PS- I also hope you guys realize that Los Angeles has the MOST room to grow out of any CSA in the country, a whopping 32,000+ square miles. Even with mountains taking a good 5,000 square miles or so, it still have lots of barren land to grow larger. Here is a visual:
Well put I was just about to post all that lol!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post

Another excerpt:

Just one point, as the metro (Riverside/Bakersfiled) grows and becomes more concentrated away from LA, it will likely just become it's own metro and not meet the LA CSA requirements, almost a reverse engineering away from CSA status, more jobs in the core of the new populous means more and more people closer to the LA MSA will need to traverse the border. So at 4+ million for riverside/bakersfield say 40% are employed, 250K have to crooss the border with LA to maintian this status, I am not trying to be the contrarian but at some point and maybe soon LA will lose this from the CSA not gain more. It is actually going to become harder and harder to maintain the CSA status over time.

I really think people need to look at the functionality and impact of growth and not just keep adding, there is other factors at play.

Also this was not really directly specifically at anyone, I quoted as the specific references of Riverside/Bakersfield are paramount to the rationale and functionality that comes with growth of the new core and large counties by area. In this respect the large counties will actual eventually work against the LA CSA count.

Not to mention the NE is actually working in an opposite sense given the relatively small county sizes.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:26 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times
Quote:
The NY CSA is pretty much Developed while The LA CSA is isn't! How much room is left in the NYC CSA to grow. LA has has a whole dessert to develop on.
You ain't got the water.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Just one point, as the metro (Riverside/Bakersfiled) grows and becomes more concentrated away from LA, it will likely just become it's own metro and meet the CSA requirements, almost a reverse engineering away from CSA satus, more jobs in the core of the new populous means more and more people closer to the LA MSA will need to traverse the border. So at 4+ million for riverside/bakersfield say 40% are employed, 250K have to crooss the border with LA to maintian this status, I am not trying to be the contrarian but at some point and maybe soon LA will lose this from the CSA not gain more. It is actually going to become harder and harder to maintain the CSA status over time.

I really think people need to look at the functionality and impact of growth and not just keep adding, there is other factors at play.

Also this was not really directly specifically at anyone, I quoted as the specific references of Riverside/Bakersfield are paramount to the rationale and functionality that comes with growth of the new core and large counties by area. In this respect the large counties will actual eventually work against the LA CSA count.

Not to mention the NE is actually working in an opposite sense given the relatively small county sizes.
That would be weird a new CSA 1 hour away from LA! Philadelphia to me should be its own CSA.

Philadelphia: CSA- 6,385,461.. 8th Largest in the US.

I got one question Why is Philly's CSA Combining with NY CSA. Thats not even right lol!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LA isn't far behind, considering theres so much land being developed and so much more space waiting to be used I think LA will pass NY! LA CSA is Growing faster than the NYC CSA as well. Peace It's my opinion. I respect your opinion as well.
again if the population grows in the land away from LA the requirements for this area to stay part of CSA will be lost, subtraction by addition for the LA CSA - just do the math it is really pretty simple - the population is increasing away from LA CSA border, that means more and more difficulty to retain the combined CSA status, this has happened in others area of the country already. You have blinders on to believe this is not the case

Old 08-29-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
That would be weird a new CSA 1 hour away from LA! Philadelphia to me should be its own CSA.

Philadelphia: CSA- 6,385,461.. 8th Largest in the US.

I got one question Why is Philly's CSA Combining with NY CSA. Thats not even right lol!

Simple answer is Mercer County NJ - the link between NYC and Philly MSAs

Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
You ain't got the water.
I Could pray for a el -nino!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City