Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?
Miami 32 39.51%
Boston 49 60.49%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 PM

287 posts, read 498,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Is there a reason people shouldn't prefer Boston's food options?

Boston has amazing seafood options: lobsters, clam chowder, mussels, crabs, etc. are very popular here. Not to mention some great options when it comes to Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, etc.

Why would people think Miami beats Boston in food?
Miami's diversity is a big enough reason. Though I can't comment on the taste of each dish I would assume you have far more exotic and domestic options in Miami then Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
- Life style: Boston (Miami feels like a vacation to me, not a place to live)
- Economy overall: Boston
- Education (K-12 & higher ed): BOSTON
- Metropolitan Area population (MSA): Larger is Miami
- City Area population (city proper): Boston
- Professional Sports: Boston
- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings): Boston
- Public Transportation: Boston
- Major Interstates and other roads (optional): Both ok
- Airport: Boston - Miami if I include Lauderdale
- Housing: Boston
- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..): Boston - better overall
- Proximity to other locations: Boston
- Diversity (people and culture): Miami
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate): Boston
- Art galleries: Boston
- Music scene: Miami
- Museums: Boston
- Parks: Boston
- Shopping: Miami
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?): Boston Summer Miami Winter

Old 09-07-2010, 01:30 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
Miami's diversity is a big enough reason. Though I can't comment on the taste of each dish I would assume you have far more exotic and domestic options in Miami then Boston.
Well a great deal of the diversity of Miami is Latin American-based...is there really a big difference between the foods of each country? It should also be noted that while the population isn't anywhere near that of Miami, Boston does have a significant population of people from the West Indies (especially Haitians & Dominicans)...not to mention a good amount of Brazilians. Somehow Mass has the second highest population of Brazilians in the country behind Florida. The two states combine to make up 39% of the Brazilian population in the United States (22% in Fla; 17% in Mass).

For some reason I keep thinking the Latin American countries usually just have different variations of serving rice and beans with a meat (ignorant I know).

For some reason it reminded me of a quote from The Simpsons. Newscasters are talking about the diversity of a crew of a NASA spacecraft:

Newscaster 1: "Now let's look at the crew a little"
Newscaster 2: "They're a colorful bunch! They've been dubbed the 'Three Musketeers' heh heh hehe
Newscaster 1: "And we laugh legitimately. There's a mathematician, a different kind of mathematician, and a statistician."

Old 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Miami. Then again, it could have been Miramar vs. Boston and I would take Miramar. I hate Boston. Nothing against Miramar.
Haha, Miramar. I have family in Miramar. They live on the county line between Broward and Dade. Nice neighborhood they live in to. But the city is a ghetto suburb.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
Miramar as in ?
NCO, Basically summed it up by saying "El Monte". Miramar is sort of to Miami, what El Monte is to LA. Well, actually, ANY LA suburb will do. Miramar may be Miami's version of Bellflower, Cerritos, Paramount, or whatever LA suburb that borders LA and Orange County.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,121 times
Quote:
So what? A skyscraper is a skyscraper. Normal people don't look at a skyline and say "Well that's pretty...but wow it would be so much better if that was an office building instead of a condo". I've never really understood the "it's a condo so it doesn't count" argument.
s.

I think most people understand it. Most cities have a variety of buildings, while Miami is just a sprawling skyline with a bunch of condos and nothing else. Those condos are flashy and all but its kinda boring.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
s.

I think most people understand it. Most cities have a variety of buildings, while Miami is just a sprawling skyline with a bunch of condos and nothing else. Those condos are flashy and all but its kinda boring.
I suppose I mis-spoke.

I understand why people say it...I just don't think it's a valid argument most of the time. Would you say Hong Kong (http://lucienhuisstede.nl/images/hong%20kong.jpg - broken link) or São Paulo aren't impressive or less impressive because many of their high-rises are condo towers? Granted, these cities are much, much larger than Miami, but just as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Miami. Then again, it could have been Miramar vs. Boston and I would take Miramar. I hate Boston. Nothing against Miramar.
I suppose I shouldn't be bothered by this...but why do you insist on saying you hate Boston in every Boston thread on this forum? How about answering the criteria listed by the OP and tell us why you feel the way you do.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Hong-kong does have more of a mix of residentional, and office tower looking buildings but i still would not find it as impressive as Chicago or Philadelphia architecture.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Wow...um...ok I guess we just have much different opinions on that one.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Wow...um...ok I guess we just have much different opinions on that one.
Crap. i screwed up on that one lol. I meant Sau Paulo. Hong-kong though is very impressive though. Especially that night skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City