Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Manhattan 97 68.79%
San Francisco 44 31.21%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 PM

9 posts, read 8,812 times

Advertisements

Can someone please please pleeeease answer my question?

Why do you guys from the bay love Boston and hate Philly? What has Philly ever done to you guys? Montclair acts as if he knows Philly by heart yet he's never been here.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Mike View Post
Ever been to DC or Philly 18Montclair?
Both are great, but I dont consider them as complete as San Francisco & Boston precisely because their Downtowns are not up to snuff vs Boston and SF either because they lack shopping and amenities to compare.

Nothing personal, they are great cities overall, but as far as Downtowns, SF and Boston are above Philadelphia(Although I love its skyline and ambience-only thing lacking is shopping) in my opinion--DC especially has a very drab downtown that appears more like an urban version of an office park. Sorry I've never been impressed with DT DC.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:55 PM

Philly is a 300 year old city. How could it not be complete? Boston's downtown is okay, but Philly trumps it. Dcs downtown is okay but the nightlife is great. Philly has more than Boston. How is Boston over Philly?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Philly is a 300 year old city. How could it not be complete? Boston's downtown is okay, but Philly trumps it. Dcs downtown is okay but the nightlife is great. Philly has more than Boston. How is Boston over Philly?
Don't get me wrong, I really like Philadelphia, but we are choosing our preferences here and I personally feel that Boston's downtown has better amenities as far as shopping and that might sound trivial to some but we are each entitled to our opinions. Also, I noticed that Downtown Philadelphia has a bunch of random parking lots and I dont like that.

Otherwise I think Philadelphia has a better skyline than Boston and has a much better cluster of downtown highrises than San Francisco as well(and Philadelphia's tallest buildings are the best of the 3 cities imo), but SFs skyline looks and feels much larger and denser in person in my experience.

And there is a veneer of class and prestige(that I like) that permeates all over downtown San Francisco and downtown Boston that is very clear and noticeable. Both are similar to Manhattan in that respect.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:11 PM

90 posts, read 207,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Don't get me wrong, I really like Philadelphia, but we are choosing our preferences here and I personally feel that Boston's downtown has better amenities as far as shopping and that might sound trivial to some but we are each entitled to our opinions. Also, I noticed that Downtown Philadelphia has a bunch of random parking lots and I dont like that.

Otherwise I think Philadelphia has a better skyline than Boston and has a much better cluster of downtown highrises than San Francisco as well(and Philadelphia's tallest buildings are the best of the 3 cities imo), but SFs skyline looks and feels much larger and denser in person in my experience.

And there is a veneer of class and prestige(that I like) that permeates all over downtown San Francisco and downtown Boston that is very clear and noticeable. Both are similar to Manhattan in that respect.
Both are similar to Manhattan? Hahahahahahaha!!! Delusional Jesus!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popnet View Post
That's right, the Lord can help us solve all our problems-including delusion. Im glad you've found the path, now take it and be saved.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Haha nice.

I've been to Boston before and I sure do like there shopping but Philly has class written all over it. I don't know about prestige. That's a little boring to me. I think Philly is a city for both. The reason why Philly is constantly rated as one of the top fun cities in America.

I respect your opinion but you know.... SF downtown reminds me of a bigger Pittsburgh. Nothing wrong with that but that's just my way of seeing it. Philly is pretty prestigious by the way. Just certain parts are different than others. The city has all kinds of different neighborhoods. From rich to poor, Italian to Irish, Rican to African American. The city of neighborhoods! That's why its the most classy city in PA and down. Its a celeb favorite and when you mention that your from Philly around the country, they would always smile and say awesome. When you mention that your from Boston, you don't get much of smile. I blame sports though lol. Boston is stereotyped as a boring loserish nerdy cold racist city. I disagree though. Its a great city but I do think most Americans prefer Philly. Our media alone shows it. We have everything.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnet View Post
Lol.... He was doing so well. And then he had to spoil it all with his last sentence.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Haha nice.

I've been to Boston before and I sure do like there shopping but Philly has class written all over it. I don't know about prestige. That's a little boring to me. I think Philly is a city for both. The reason why Philly is constantly rated as one of the top fun cities in America.

I respect your opinion but you know.... SF downtown reminds me of a bigger Pittsburgh. Nothing wrong with that but that's just my way of seeing it. Philly is pretty prestigious by the way. Just certain parts are different than others. The city has all kinds of different neighborhoods. From rich to poor, Italian to Irish, Rican to African American. The city of neighborhoods! That's why its the most classy city in PA and down. Its a celeb favorite and when you mention that your from Philly around the country, they would always smile and say awesome. When you mention that your from Boston, you don't get much of smile. I blame sports though lol. Boston is stereotyped as a boring loserish nerdy cold racist city. I disagree though. Its a great city but I do think most Americans prefer Philly. Our media alone shows it. We have everything.
Well, I respect your opinion but I will stand by my opinion based on my experiences that San Francisco wins based on the overall quality of its downtown ambience, amenities and vibrancy.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024$sx1024$s and weights 1035$sKB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024$sx682$s and weights 616$sKB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024$sx768$s and weights 312$sKB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024$sx768$s and weights 562$sKB.

But that doesnt mean Philadelphia is not also great.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 PM

O_O holy sh... at the 1st picture. That is crazy. That's great street activity. Gotta visit SF soon. I see philly's got a little competition now lol.

Some pm rainrock to show this guy how its done ^.^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City