Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Manhattan 97 68.79%
San Francisco 44 31.21%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yes, a lot of hippies are trust fund babies who have a safety-net via mom and dad that allows them to spend their lives engaging in political and social protests that they themselves have little to no connection to, a parody of sorts of the "ideal" average joe.

I still don't see what your point is.
There isn't a point per se, I'm just commenting. The truth is I like both cities a bunch, I just find this particular comparison and posturing between the two foolish and tiresome..This isn't the first time. And yes those are the ones who irk me the most, the so called "trustafarians". To give credit, I know many in the Bay Area aren't too fond of them either.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yes perhaps that wasn't the best comparison. But, many hippies do suck off the teet of the government check... Many will certainly get handouts when they are perfectly capable of performing work. Now, I am extremely pro helping the poor and people who want to contribute or those who are entirely unable to contribute. They should be given a base level quality standard of life, higher than what we currently have. Many abused a free ride of education and services, and at some point they became indoctrinated. Hippies do not want to contribute, yet they are protected by the government. If they would want to contribute, it is some form of Maoist derived zealotry, which I think is an illogical ideology for modern society. They probably wouldn't be saying the same thing if they lived in mainland communist China.
They generally just want to live their lives as they see fit. I don't know of any hippies who live in public housing, and can't ever recall seeing any use EBT or WIC at a store.

The way you guys describe "hippies" is really, really inaccurate... just droll repeating of tired South Park gags that were derived from stereotypes that guys who worked for defense contractors in the 60's had about those damn kids with their VW vans. I don't have any "love" for them, I don't really care that much about their lifestyles or choices, but I really don't get this over-the-top hatred. My only guess is that it's just to troll.

I take offense whenever someone implies that fellow Americans should be deprived of, or don't deserve, their constitutional rights because someone disagrees with their lifestyle. You rarely hear this sort of talk in SF... maybe that's one of the reasons I love it there.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's funny.

But that's also what makes New York so cool. As one of my friend's says, NYC is the "est." It's the gayest, the fastest, the biggest, the richest, the toughest, the bestest, etc.

Take the symphony for example. In most cities, there aren't really enough "critics" in the audience to discern the most subtle of mistakes during Brandenburg Concerto's No. 5. But in New York, an audience will simply get up and walk out if the performance is not to their liking. A solid, but flawed performance that might slide in DC, LA, SF or Chicago won't fly in the Apple. That's just the way it is.
Congrats, your post broke my Pretentiousness Meter.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:35 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Congrats, your post broke my Pretentiousness Meter.
What happened to all this salt-of-the-earth, real-man-liness...?

Has "tell it to the union" been replaced with "this Brandenburg is not up to par with the performance I heard over escargot at the gala at the Met last april?"

Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
They generally just want to live their lives as they see fit. I don't know of any hippies who live in public housing, and can't ever recall seeing any use EBT or WIC at a store.

The way you guys describe "hippies" is really, really inaccurate... just droll repeating of tired South Park gags that were derived from stereotypes that guys who worked for defense contractors in the 60's had about those damn kids with their VW vans. I don't have any "love" for them, I don't really care that much about their lifestyles or choices, but I really don't get this over-the-top hatred. My only guess is that it's just to troll.

I take offense whenever someone implies that fellow Americans should be deprived of, or don't deserve, their constitutional rights because someone disagrees with their lifestyle. You rarely hear this sort of talk in SF... maybe that's one of the reasons I love it there.
Public housing no (gov checks this too much)... I have definitely seen them use the cards though, no doubt! They are easy to get. And hey, doesn't Trey Parker live in LA?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

Then let the hippies live their lifestyle without my tax dollars funding it. Grapico is explaining exactly how I feel about hippies, he is a better writer than myself.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:39 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Then let the hippies live their lifestyle without my tax dollars funding it. Grapico is explaining exactly how I feel about hippies, he is a better writer than myself.
"...than I am."

Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
If I didn't know any better, y'all sound a little obsessively jealous of them... lol. The people I can't stand above all are those who live their lives concerned with what other people are doing. What are YOU doing that puts you on a pedestal to criticize others?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
If I didn't know any better, y'all sound a little obsessively jealous of them... lol. The people I can't stand above all are those who live their lives concerned with what other people are doing. What are YOU doing that puts you on a pedestal to criticize others?
Are you from the south?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:49 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Are you from the south?
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City