Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City has the most Elitist Residents?
Boston 24 11.71%
New York 72 35.12%
San Francisco 54 26.34%
Seattle 17 8.29%
Washington DC 25 12.20%
Other 13 6.34%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:07 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roman Emperor View Post
50% of New Yorkers actually own vehicles, but it's still not a car-dependent city. San Francisco is a walkable city. San Francisco is probably even more walkable than New York City since it's more compact than massive New York which has fringe areas of the outer-boroughs. At the core of each city, they are 100% walkable.

Atlanta is not heralded, Miami is not heralded. Many people like them but they're not exactly beloved. Los Angeles? People do not have the same massive love-affair with Los Angeles like they do with New York, London and Paris.

So you worship highways, wonderful, but why minimize people who like a city built around humans rather than cars?
I think that has more to do with their age and importance and less about their walkability.

I'm not even sure what arguing about New York's walkability has to do with the thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 02:58 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
"50% of New Yorkers actually own vehicles, but it's still not a car-dependent city. San Francisco is a walkable city. San Francisco is probably even more walkable than New York City since it's more compact than massive New York which has fringe areas of the outer-boroughs. At the core of each city, they are 100% walkable."

I'm pretty sure the core of EVERY city is walkable. Even Downtown LA is.

One you get out of San Francisco (a 7 sq. mile city) you need a car. It's why the Bay Area has so much traffic. SF as a city itself is a small part of the metro area that is not walkable.

"Atlanta is not heralded, Miami is not heralded. Many people like them but they're not exactly beloved."

They are, actually. It's just your nose in the air mentality that refuses to accept it.

"Los Angeles? People do not have the same massive love-affair with Los Angeles like they do with New York, London and Paris."

Again, elitist mindset. Love-Affair? NYC is hatable most of the year when it's not warm.

"So you worship highways, wonderful, but why minimize people who like a city built around humans rather than cars?"

Right. Because every time I'm in New York I'm kindly reminded how nice everyone is for a city built around humans

Old 06-05-2015, 03:21 PM

26 posts, read 38,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I'm pretty sure the core of EVERY city is walkable. Even Downtown LA is.
Downtown Los Angeles might technically be the core of Los Angeles, but it isn't really the core of Los Angeles. It's a rather dumpy, bleak, wasteland that people avoid at all costs. Bravo w/ the redevelopment efforts but to even suggest that the "core" of Los Angeles is even comparable to the core of top cities i.e. New York, London which is quite laughable. Yes, you can walk in Downtown Los Angeles but where exactly are you walking to? Methadone clinic? The action is on the Westside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Again, elitist mindset. Love-Affair? NYC is hatable most of the year when it's not warm.
Your crippling Napoleon Complex when it comes to all things New York seems to be clouding your judgement. To deny that New York is a very special and iconic place is to deny that the sky is blue.

New York is the world's favorite city, according to global survey

I know, it's kind of sickening to many for one city to get so much attention, praise and #1 trophies (in a myriad of very important topics - popularity, wealth, importance) but that's life. New York is certainly the high school jock, and brings out all types of feelings, rage and nonsensical bile-spewed outbursts of venom, dripping with envy of course, but you'll just need to get over it, no?

As they say - don't hate the player hate the game.

Last edited by Holy Roman Emperor; 06-05-2015 at 03:35 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 03:47 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
SF is only 7sq miles now

Old 06-05-2015, 04:00 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
Quote:
Downtown Los Angeles might technically be the core of Los Angeles, but it isn't really the core of Los Angeles. It's a rather dumpy, bleak, wasteland that people avoid at all costs. Bravo w/ the redevelopment efforts but to even suggest that the "core" of Los Angeles is even comparable to the core of top cities i.e. New York, London which is quite laughable. Yes, you can walk in Downtown Los Angeles but where exactly are you walking to? Methadone clinic? The action is on the Westside.
Wow your take on the world is so interesting you need to write a book!

Seriously, only a person with their head straight up their a** would say that Downtown LA is not the core of the city.

Now go race your yacht down the Hudson river near Battery Park with your caviar and signature cocaine.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:10 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
With the exception of the weirdo trolls on C-D, most Philadelphians (sic?) seem to be a pretty self-denigrating bunch.
Well I think the old money in Philly is very elitist.Not the average person.I don't see any city where the average citizen has this attitude in general.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:57 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

I'm not even sure what arguing about New York's walkability has to do with the thread...

This quote sums up C-D in a perfect nutshell right here.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:55 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,379 times
Wow ,Holy Roman slow your roll bro lol

The action in Los Angeles is not centered in one area but DTLA is certainly the core,L.A live,Staples center,Dodger Stadium adjacent to DTLA ,Fashion district, The historic Broadway area & plenty more,Than i guess you can say Hollywood blvd,Sunset,Wilshire, The Westside,Santa monica & other areas come next .

Its really hard to compare Los Angeles to other world cities because they've been around much much longer so i look at L.A as city so unique that it's on it's own level but still a world city by definition.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:06 PM

325 posts, read 255,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisSam View Post
Boston easily.

I think its got something to do with their education affiliations and snobbish sports fans who think we care about their teams winning.
Nonsense. True elitists view sports fans as just another example of the unwashed masses going after their collective bread and circuses, and have general disdain for the slavish obsession that people from the Midwest and South (and Pennsylvania) have for organized sports - clearly you live in boring places with nothing more elevated or important to do.

At least since Larry Bird retired.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:46 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,839 times
Quote:
I suppose facts tend to come off as elitist and snooty.
There are three parts to rhetoric: Ethos, Pathos, and Logos.

The facts, logos, are just the facts. But the way you present those facts, the ethos, can be elitist and snooty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City