Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City has the most Elitist Residents?
Boston 24 11.71%
New York 72 35.12%
San Francisco 54 26.34%
Seattle 17 8.29%
Washington DC 25 12.20%
Other 13 6.34%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to which cities residents come off as most elitist, to me these are the top 5 (In alphabetical order) from my perspective, but curious on yours, and why that might be.

Boston
New York
San Francisco
Seattle
Washington DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
I would go with DC as a percentage. There is both southern and northern elitism there...

Old 09-10-2010, 08:35 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
I don't live in any of those but in general I have a tendency to come off that way at times. So these things can exist anywhere.

But from what I know, I think San Francisco, its more of the "I really don't care where you come from" + "We're in San Francisco, nothing else matters" + "This is the best city in the world, no one cares what you think about it" type of thing going on. I don't know that's personally what I've always thought when visiting there. But egos like that exist in many large cities. I really don't know though, and I don't want it to come off as bashing San Francisco, because that was not my intention.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:37 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
NYC - you wouldn't believe how snobbish and elitist people can be here, it really can get to be annoying...

and based on C-D NYC homers do come off as extremely Elitist.....Philadelphia not far behind...again this is based on C-D homers.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:39 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
NYC - you wouldn't believe how snobbish and elitist people can be here, it really can get to be annoying...

and based on C-D NYC homers do come off as extremely Elitist.....Philadelphia not far behind...again this is based on C-D homers.

Good morning Black Beauty - BTW I still like Pittsburgh

Old 09-10-2010, 08:40 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I don't live in any of those but in general I have a slight tendency to come off that way at times. So these things can exist anywhere.

But from what I know, I think San Francisco, its more of the "I really don't care where you come from" + "We're in San Francisco, nothing else matters" + "This is the best city in the world, no one cares what you think about it" type of thing going on. I don't know that's personally what I've always thought when visiting there. But egos like that exist in many large cities. I really don't know though, and I don't want it to come off as bashing San Francisco, because that was not my intention.
I could see that, SF has a lot of pride for being different than a lot of the U.S.
You are right it can be in any city, definitely exists in pockets in Chicago also, but not as the percentage basis.
I specifically remember this real estate agent going off on Gold Coast and how great it was, blah blah blah and had a stick up her ass etc. I asked her if something was Streeterville, and she was like No darling, and gave me this big spiel as if I were to be so impressed by the location and how fabulous it is in that area...

Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times
In my experience, transplants living in NYC. Not native New Yorkers. But people from all over the country moving to NYC, thinking anything outside of NYC is beneath them, even though they aren't well traveled at all.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
San Francisco and New York City.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:08 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Elitist can mean different things depending on location and perspective.

Elitist overall would be New York City. Wall Street, Madison Avenue, Park Avenue, Broadway, it's all about the money and showing it off.

Elitist in a political sense, that honor goes to San Francisco. It's nouveau-riche but ultraliberal at the same time. Kind of a Hollywood type of area only with fewer celebrities.

Elitist on a smaller city or suburban scale, Scottsdale, Arizona! It's like a desert southwest version of South Beach, lots of Barbie-Ken clones with fake plastic parts and $40,000-per-year millionaires strutting around.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:52 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
I think I have encountered the biggest ego's in Boston. DC is up there too. NYers love their city, but I felt they were less elitist than Bostonians. The SFers that I have met were not that snobish, and the people I met in Seattle were beyond friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City