Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: detroit vs chicago in fashion
detroit 12 19.05%
chicago 47 74.60%
both equal 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
OK OK, I can dig it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
And also whoever said that you can find detroit swag by visiting any auto repair shop in america had me rolling all day on sunday when i read the post on my phone while i was at work lmaooooooooooooo.

I told all my friends that joke and each were crying of laughter. How do you say something like that smh lol.

No offense detroit but it was very funny.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,994 times
heres the point. Chicago has been known for being a place with style. Detroit is known for having its own specific style which is pretty original and recognizable from other cities. Detroit is known for its flair and originality, a lot of great designers and other creative professionals spring up from Detroit. Our Detroit Fashion Week has industry spoonsors like AVEDA Corporate, Revlon Distributors, CW50 is a media sponsor and the like rather than a lot of liquor companies and local small businesses. DFW is listed on many of the industry fashion calendars as is chicago and other domestic fashion weeks. detroit has been interviewed by Womens Wear Daily, CNN Money came to Detroit to interview our designers at Detroit Fashion Week and our colleges, fashion academies and university programs participate in our event. I can't say we are any better than Chicago but I can say the industry and industry press recognizes us as legit.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:45 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
There is a difference between detroit and chicago fashion? Thats like saying there is a difference between San Diego and Malibu fashion.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:47 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus Woodward View Post
I think this thread was created because I said in another fashion thread that Chicago people cant dress, and well, compared to how fly on average us Detroiters get they cant. Fashion and sense of style are two different things but I think the creator of the thread failed to understand that distinction.

And no I'm not going to go back and forth trying to prove my opinion is the correct one with all of you, because it is an opinion. Though I will say I got that idea about Detroit people being better dressers from my old lil one thang that I had in Chicago back when I was at MSU. In fact she approached me in a club full of native Chicago folk and said "you must be one of them Detroit boys, I could tell ya'll got that swag about yall" so take that as you will.

5ive8ight5ive, if I am guessing right that is the area code for the Rochester, NY area. If so, you honestly are downing Detroit and you live in ha... Rochester, NY. lol. What do they wear up there overalls and gasmasks to protect themselves from the fumes from the meth labs? And living in the "Woodward and Birmingham" area is not Detroit, honestly by your posts I wouldn't be surprised if you have never set foot in Michigan and are under the age of 15.

And crime wise Southside and Westside of Chicago = Detroit. Please don't act like there is a difference between the two, we all know that subtract the North and northwest side that Chicago would be no different from us, in fact, probably worse. There is no neigborhood in Detroit that can compete with the mayhem that is Austin, trust me. And plus you guys have that weird gang issue out there....

But back to your regularly scheduled program I just couldn't let detroitlove hold the D down by herself.
That was the first thing I thought was this thread was started because you said Chicago people can't dress. Thought I was the only one. Most people on this site haven't stepped foot in MI let alone Detroit. The people on this thread are clearly being biased becase its Chicago and clearly don't know what we wear here in Detroit. You hit the nail on the head with your comment about the crime there. Like I already said I have HELLA fam in Chicago and its metro, most of whom are from the Robert Taylors and many who remained in the ghetto for years after they were torn down. I don't go for downtown, I go for family. Most of my family now lives in the burbs tho and the ones remaining in the city are trying to move for the same reason the others did........crime. Thanks love, I'm always holding the D down

Old 10-04-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
There is a difference between detroit and chicago fashion? Thats like saying there is a difference between San Diego and Malibu fashion.
yea there is. Like I said on my other thread some of it is very similar but Detroit has always had our own style. Well from what I've seen. We pretty much don't dress identical to anyone. The Metro and the city itself.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by option_b View Post
heres the point. Chicago has been known for being a place with style. Detroit is known for having its own specific style which is pretty original and recognizable from other cities. Detroit is known for its flair and originality, a lot of great designers and other creative professionals spring up from Detroit. Our Detroit Fashion Week has industry spoonsors like AVEDA Corporate, Revlon Distributors, CW50 is a media sponsor and the like rather than a lot of liquor companies and local small businesses. DFW is listed on many of the industry fashion calendars as is chicago and other domestic fashion weeks. detroit has been interviewed by Womens Wear Daily, CNN Money came to Detroit to interview our designers at Detroit Fashion Week and our colleges, fashion academies and university programs participate in our event. I can't say we are any better than Chicago but I can say the industry and industry press recognizes us as legit.
Ditto

Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
OK OK, I can dig it.
Thanks

Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 PM

RT tho, what I want to know is does Chicago support local designers? especially urban wear? what are some? I'm asking because a lot of times Detroiters will support local brands like moci, al wissam, golden hanger, uneek clothing, burn rubber and a few more. Hence why I posted those particular videos.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:56 PM

Wondering around on the internet and found this site (well really on facebook lol) NEGASH.::::::.Official Website (http://www.negash83.com/site/ - broken link)

shoe company started by two guys one from Detroit the other from New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City