Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa, FL vs Austin, TX
Tampa 25 38.46%
Austin 40 61.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:32 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
LOL @ UT UCLA and Berkeley as commuter schools. Definitely not.

As stated before, USF was traditionally known as a commuter school. A quick search on google for this will turn up many results.

USF is not a peer of UT at all. Don't even try it. Using your logic, USF is peer of Harvard and MIT as well. UT's only peers are UCB, UCLA, Michigan, UVA, UNC etc. This is who they compete with for enrollment, academic posts, research funding, etc. If anything, the only peer in Florida UT-Austin has is University of Florida, though FSU is a flagship as well hence the increased higher price of state tuition at these public schools. USF only recently moved to flagship status and is certainly on the rise, but just isn't there yet.
Wrong. As much as I like UT, it is not in that category. UT is comparable to UF...they are actually ranked right next to each other....and significantly below UMich, Berkley, UCLA and Uva.

And UT and UF do not compete with the elite public ivies for enrollment as much as they should because Texas shot UT in the foot with the 10% rule and Florida shot UF in the foot with the CC transfer rule.

FSU is on par with USF. FSU only has a slightly better national reputation, but it is much clsoer to the same category as USF than to UF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:33 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
San Francisco is pretty lame.

L.A. decent. When people in CA want to go party for real they all go to Vegas or Miami.
No they don't. Quit making stuff up. Yes Vegas but why would they fly across the country to go to Miami when they have all they want and more in California with better weather and more activities? Besides, they would probably go to Honolulu before they even think about Miami.

Also, there is nothing lame about San Francisco.

Quote:
The hot babes from South America and white Mexicans go to FL.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:34 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
You have Central-Americans and Mexicans (mostly natives).

The hot babes from South America and white Mexicans go to FL.
I certainly wouldn't blame Eurobabes or South American hotties for avoiding Austin. They really wouldn't get the attention they think they deserve here, and wouldn't really stand out among the local women... remember, a Euro "10" is about an Austin "7".

It's somewhat subjective, of course... but if European/South American women factor so highly in a city choice, why not move to one of those European or South American cities, where you'll have the mother lode? Certainly there are cities much better for that than Tampa or Austin could ever hope to be.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:34 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was more than South Florida, I just said Austin gets a lot of tourist from other regions besides the Southwest and California.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 PM

16 posts, read 43,582 times
Quote:
LOL, Mexicans? You have never been to South Florida I guess.
I'm sorry, but this sounds kinda racist. You really need to chill out.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:36 PM

413 posts, read 819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No they don't. Quit making stuff up. Yes Vegas but why would they fly across the country to go to Miami when they have all they want and more in California with better weather and more activities? Besides, they would probably go to Honolulu before they even think about Miami.

Also, there is nothing lame about San Francisco.

Good try. California has brown sand and freezing water. Hardly similar to Miami's caribbeans feel. Not to mention Miami has the best clubs in the World. Honolulu is nogt nearly as exciting (full of Asians, instead of Latins/Europeans as Miami).

Weather is also better in Florida IMO.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Wrong. As much as I like UT, it is not in that category. UT is comparable to UF...they are actually ranked right next to each other....and significantly below UMich, Berkley, UCLA and Uva.

And UT and UF do not compete with the elite public ivies for enrollment as much as they should because Texas shot UT in the foot with the 10% rule and Florida shot UF in the foot with the CC transfer rule.

FSU is on par with USF. FSU only has a slightly better national reputation, but it is much clsoer to the same category as USF than to UF.
You maybe right. But from what I read on rivals, Texas ranking is a result of having a high number of enrolled students which is over 50,000. Because when you break it down by most degrees and programs, Texas is right up there with UCLA, UVA, Mich, and Berkeley. I tend to agree with you but Texas I think has the potential to join them. It was once known as a public ivy.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Good try. California has brown sand and freezing water. Hardly similar to Miami's caribbeans feel. Not to mention Miami has the best clubs in the World. Honolulu is nogt nearly as exciting (full of Asians, instead of Latins/Europeans as Miami).

Weather is also better in Florida IMO.
Why do I even bother?

Old 10-08-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I certainly wouldn't blame Eurobabes or South American hotties for avoiding Austin. They really wouldn't get the attention they think they deserve here, and wouldn't really stand out among the local women... remember, a Euro "10" is about an Austin "7".

It's somewhat subjective, of course... but if European/South American women factor so highly in a city choice, why not move to one of those European or South American cities, where you'll have the mother lode? Certainly there are cities much better for that than Tampa or Austin could ever hope to be.
Yes, Miami is where they go. It's in the US and doesn't feel American at all.

As far as women, I guess it's a preference. I find European and Latin babes to be much sexier and better dressed than Austin locals.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why do I even bother?
Do you really want to try telling us that Honolulu has the party reputation of Miami? Don't you think the Latin/European flavor of Miami has anything to do with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City