Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:26 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
And there shouldn't be....
It’s best to let us decide this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 09:34 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
I get you man... I'm not Black but I'm very interested in why Black folks out of all racial groups have this need to stand separate from the rest... call me whatever you want but I don't understand why a city like SF or Seattle isn't also a Black mecca since all of my Black friends that live there are very successful and wealthy.
They don’t have the long sustained migration pattern and in turn, the Black populations in those areas don’t have the same amount of influence as some of these other cities do. It is actually quite basic if one has a simple understanding of said people’s history in this country in relation to residential and migration patterns on a national level.

As also mentioned, this isn’t or shouldn’t strictly be about where said people have to live to be “successful”, but about a more holistic discussion. I would assume that most, if not all of the Black posters on here have achieved some level of “success”, yet live in just about every region and type of city/area/neighborhood you could think of. So, we already have examples on the forum that prove that there are successfully Black people across this country.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:05 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
I'm not Black but I'm very interested in why Black folks out of all racial groups have this need to stand separate from the rest...
Bruh, what?

Listen man, certain things have started to come to the light about you, and if you really believe that blacks have a greater need than anyone else to seperate themselves...all I can say is that you're miseducated. Which, for someone so clearly enamored with black culture, to not understand black history and how that's manifested itself into modern black culture, is alarming...

And not just that, where have you been, who do you know, that you dont know of other groups who are plagued with similar social misgivings. Seriously? Just stop posting, man...

Old 02-01-2018, 04:33 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
lmao @ seattle!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2018, 06:12 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Lol what? DC and Kode had a whole argument about it a few pages back with Kode dismissing blacks with high salaries to Atlanta’s “black business owners” despite most black people in Atlanta being workers. That’s pretty much the comment that made me join this thread.
And yet Kode nor anyone else claimed that Blacks in Atlanta are the richest Blacks in America.

So yes, a huge strawman on your part.

Quote:
I’m trying to remember where I dismissed black people’s preferences but ok lol.
Oh so saying "Outside of the black race Atlanta is ignored" isn't dismissive? Yeah whatever dude.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:27 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
I get you man... I'm not Black but I'm very interested in why Black folks out of all racial groups have this need to stand separate from the rest... call me whatever you want but I don't understand why a city like SF or Seattle isn't also a Black mecca since all of my Black friends that live there are very successful and wealthy.
As an example on the Flip Side of this, Probably for the same reason they don't want to give Memphis, TN or even look its way as far as the Black Crown when Memphis has a Majority black population, Black city population is over 420,000 residents alone to entire city population around 650,000 and Memphis is the only Metro in the U.S so far with a population over 1,000,000 that is a Majority Black Metro. Atlanta can't even claim that, but you get my meaning. I know all of us look down on Memphis on here, we have all done it, the city just has that stigma of being poor, ghetto, crime ridden, etc. but i'm sure Memphis has way more than it's Fair share of successful Blacks, districts and areas out of that large population in its Metro.. I'm just saying By the way, no Black Capital Crown for you Memphis,,, don't expect one...lol

Old 02-01-2018, 06:29 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And yet Kode nor anyone else claimed that Blacks in Atlanta are the richest Blacks in America.

So yes, a huge strawman on your part.

Oh so saying "Outside of the black race Atlanta is ignored" isn't dismissive? Yeah whatever dude.

No one talked about rich black people at all so idk why you keep using that line. So it’s not a strawman on my part if you’re making it up. That’s typical of someone with poor debate skills.

I think my point was clear. Atlanta is the Black capitol as far as community goes, but as far as individual black success, Atlanta doesn’t offer a black man the opportunity to max out on his/her success hence the reason why black individuals from the south still make the choice to go up north or out west.

Understand me now? And that’s to the people on this thread who said Atlanta is where a black man goes to be successful.

And yes outside of the black race , Atlanta is just another city in the middle of America. Take it how you want it.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:36 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
No one talked about rich black people at all so idk why you keep using that line. So it’s not a strawman on my part if you’re making it up. That’s typical of someone with poor debate skills.

I think my point was clear. Atlanta is the Black capitol as far as community goes, but as far as individual black success, Atlanta doesn’t offer a black man the opportunity to max out on his/her success hence the reason why black individuals from the south still make the choice to go up north or out west.

Understand me now? And that’s to the people on this thread who said Atlanta is where a black man goes to be successful.

And yes outside of the black race , Atlanta is just another city in the middle of America. Take it how you want it.
Firstly, your definition of success is pretty narrow but that's another discussion.

Secondly, Atlanta is one of many cities a Black man may go to be successful. Who's said that Atlanta is the ONLY city where a Black man goes to be successful?

You major in strawmen buddy. Maybe you should just move along.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:40 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
As an example on the Flip Side of this, Probably for the same reason they don't want to give Memphis, TN or even look its way as far as the Black Crown when Memphis has a Majority black population, Black city population is over 420,000 residents alone to entire city population around 650,000 and Memphis is the only Metro in the U.S so far with a population over 1,000,000 that is a Majority Black Metro. Atlanta can't even claim that, but you get my meaning. I know all of us look down on Memphis on here, we have all done it, the city just has that stigma of being poor, ghetto, crime ridden, etc. but i'm sure Memphis has way more than it's Fair share of successful Blacks, districts and areas out of that large population in its Metro.. I'm just saying By the way, no Black Capital Crown for you Memphis,,, don't expect one...lol
You can blame the media for that. The media has made it seem that Atlanta is only place that has Black progress while other cities are just toxic cities for blacks.. And I think the poster moosehd proved my point where he claimed NYC blacks live with roomamates despite NYC having one of the largest black middle classes and black businesses in the country.

Not to mention Atlanta has a crime rate that’s not low and one of the leading cities for HIV rates. Lol people it make it seem that your problems are cured as a black man once you go down there while it would be toxic to be black anywhere else.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:51 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Firstly, your definition of success is pretty narrow but that's another discussion.

Secondly, Atlanta is one of many cities a Black man may go to be successful. Who's said that Atlanta is the ONLY city where a Black man goes to be successful?

You major in strawmen buddy. Maybe you should just move along.
Dude probably moved to Atlanta and got wiped out by the competition. Thought he was the best and brightest, got embarrassed and crept back home where he felt he was king. Now comes to post on a public forum as this weird anonymous Atlanta basher person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City