U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.32%
Phil 17 1.77%
DC 93 9.71%
Atlanta 560 58.46%
Memphis 10 1.04%
New ORleans 24 2.51%
Houston 16 1.67%
Seattle 11 1.15%
Chicago 26 2.71%
Detroit 66 6.89%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.04%
There is none. 74 7.72%
Voters: 958. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:07 AM

7,862 posts, read 11,978,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Man, I tell you.. Some people come across so irritated and bitter by blacks attraction to Atlanta. I mean, no one talks about whites moving to predominantly white cities like Seattle or Portland because of cultural preferences or because they "want to succeed in those things in the white community".
THIS. It's so prevalent on many threads here related to those cities (and I'd throw Austin in to the mix as well), it's just no one is out right saying it. Yet, as this thread has shown, if Black folks want to do the same thing in moving to Atlanta or DC it is some how bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 09:14 AM

28,941 posts, read 26,242,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
THIS. It's so prevalent on many threads here related to those cities (and I'd throw Austin in to the mix as well), it's just no one is out right saying it. Yet, as this thread has shown, if Black folks want to do the same thing in moving to Atlanta or DC it is some how bad.
And then there's the implication that a Black person can't be "an individual" in Atlanta or that having a large community network as a resource is somehow a bad thing. I could go on and on.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:20 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,729,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I only say that because of the prevailing narrative that Birmingham in particular could have been something like Atlanta today if not for several factors. That seems to eat some people up.
For sure, but unless they were around in the 50’s and 60’s when the cities were somewhat comparable it just doesn’t make much sense today. The overwhelming majority of Alabamians embrace Atlanta.

But...

There are certain native Georgians on this forum who make a point to frown upon and distance themselves from Alabama while embracing TN and NC. I think that fuels disdain here on C-D, but not on the ground.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
For sure, but unless they were around in the 50’s and 60’s when the cities were somewhat comparable it just doesn’t make much sense today. The overwhelming majority of Alabamians embrace Atlanta.
I get it and I know this forum isn't representative of reality. But interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
But...

There are certain native Georgians on this forum who make a point to frown upon and distance themselves from Alabama while embracing TN and NC. I think that fuels disdain here on C-D, but not on the ground.
I think a lot of that is based on politics, or the fact that TN and NC have at least one sizable, growing, and progressive city.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:57 AM

2,059 posts, read 1,334,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Me being a Black man from Georgia and knowing it's history, politics and what it's really all about, yes I will admit I feel some kind of way. It's almost as though it's a Trap for most, all over a hype, no comment there. I know too may that have moved from other places and have said it and it was the worse decision of their lives! I know this state and it's politics. Now DC is a different story, I feel blacks could do better there more so than Atlanta for a number of reason, again this is my opinion and to each it's own.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Me being a Black man from Georgia and knowing it's history, politics and what it's really all about, yes I will admit I feel some kind of way. It's almost as though it's a Trap for most, all over a hype, no comment there. I know too may that have moved from other places and have said it and it was the worse decision of their lives! I know this state and it's politics. Now DC is a different story, I think feel blacks could do better there more so than Atlanta for a number of reason, again this is my opinion and to each it's own.
Atlanta is not to blame for people thinking that simply because they were Black, they could move there and a good job and a big house would fall in their lap simply because they were Black. People fail to do their research and bring little to no skills or qualifications to the table (not in all instances but in many) and their move to Atlanta turns out to be a disaster, and now all of a sudden Atlanta is the seventh realm of hell? Give me a break man.

DC is a great city in its own right but guess what? There are Black people that don't like DC. There are Black people who have disaster stories about moving to DC. And just as you talk about the effect that Georgia politics has on Atlanta, the same is true of DC whenever the Republicans control Congress.

These extremes on your part have just gotta stop man.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:12 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,729,219 times
Quote:
I get it and I know this forum isn't representative of reality. But interesting nonetheless.
There’s another Texas poster who is the same way. Whenever anything positive is posted with regard to Atlanta, you can count on him to come galloping in with contrarian rhetoric.
Quote:
I think a lot of that is based on politics, or the fact that TN and NC have at least one sizable, growing, and progressive city.
While smaller in stature, outsiders tend to see Huntsville as Alabama’s ‘it city,’ but you’d be hard pressed to find a native who agrees with the sentiment.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
There’s another Texas poster who is the same way. Whenever anything positive is posted with regard to Atlanta, you can count on him to come galloping in with contrarian rhetoric.

While smaller in stature, outsiders tend to see Huntsville as Alabama’s ‘it city,’ but you’d be hard pressed to find a native who agrees with the sentiment.
I see what you're saying about Huntsville, but it's still a rather small place. If it were closer to Birmingham's size, it would play a bigger role in shifting perspectives about the state overall.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:58 AM

2,059 posts, read 1,334,911 times
Quote:
Atlanta is not to blame for people thinking that simply because they were Black, they could move there and a good job and a big house would fall in their lap simply because they were Black. People fail to do their research and bring little to no skills or qualifications to the table (not in all instances but in many) and their move to Atlanta turns out to be a disaster, and now all of a sudden Atlanta is the seventh realm of hell? Give me a break man.

DC is a great city in its own right but guess what? There are Black people that don't like DC. There are Black people who have disaster stories about moving to DC. And just as you talk about the effect that Georgia politics has on Atlanta, the same is true of DC whenever the Republicans control Congress.

These extremes on your part have just gotta stop man.

I can agree with some of that, there are levels to this. There are people with degrees who have said this but thats neither here nor there... This is a blog buddy and every one's opinions will be different all based off of experiences and what you are looking for and the type of person you are.. No worries or hard feelings and your opinion is respected

Old 01-30-2018, 11:16 AM

18,437 posts, read 26,551,706 times
Quote:
But the attitude towards Dallas seems to be because it's not Black enough.
Mostly true but he goes beyond that in the Texas forum. Even in this thread, he posted he wants Amazon to go to Dallas so it can whiten the metro up thus further making Houston the premier and ultimate destination for Blacks in Texas. He backhand compliments both cities. It's pretty childish either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City