Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 04:55 PM

373 posts, read 252,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Oakland is a regional hub, it isn't a national black hub. And even within its region its losing influence at a steady clip to Vegas...
Interesting fact, Oakland until 2016 was the only black major city on west coast and Oakland and New Orleans was only black cities west of Mississippi river.. To say it's not the black capital of California is absolutely HYSTERICAL. California has one of the lowest black percents in country. LA has 9pct, SF has 6pct, SD has like 5pct. Only major cities with a decent black population on west coast is Oakland (23.7pct) and Sacramento (14pct).. Oakland is the only major city on west coast to EVER have a black dominant population. Suburbs in CA have had blacks too at a point in time like Richmond, Compton, East Palo Alto, Inglewood but none of those cities are major or principal cities. LA and SF have black sections but it makes a low percent of their cities.

If I have a cup with 20oz of soda mixed with 8 oz of water and another cup mixed 10oz of soda and 1oz of water, WHICH CUP IS MORE WATERED DOWN? Oakland is blackest city and ONLY BLACK CITY WEST COAST HAD EVER HAD PERIOD!! Home of black panther party and many other things its contributed to african american community. If you dont know about it ask your daddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Oakland is a regional hub, it isn't a national black hub. And even within its region its losing influence at a steady clip to Vegas...
Vegas????? Lmao. Vegas has blacks that are gentrified from Oakland, Sac, LA county, etc.. They have no black history or culture and not even close to being the largest race in city. Only Oakland has ever done that

Old 03-23-2020, 06:16 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
Vegas????? Lmao. Vegas has blacks that are gentrified from Oakland, Sac, LA county, etc.. They have no black history or culture and not even close to being the largest race in city. Only Oakland has ever done that
I hear about Black folks from Vegas because of their high school sports and ik black people are moving there. I want to move to Vegas -I almost did in 2017.

From what I’ve heard Vegas is a very ungentrified culture, more the displaced rather than the displacers.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
That’s how I see it, I still really like Oakland fwiw

Old 03-23-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Oakland might be isolated from Black America in geography but it’s definitely still a known hub in Black America. Home of the Panthers and some of the most influential Hiphop trends and slang of all-time still is a fixture. Oakland/Bay Area also had relationships with cities like Kansas City, Detroit and Michigan and I know in Texas. A lot stems from the music and the other half strictly family ties. So at least in certain parts of the country Oakland feels less isolated than cities in the Northeast. At least to Black hubs in the South(outside of southeast) and the Midwest.
Oakland had influential slang not music. And in love Bay Area music till this day-specifically because it’s so unique and different. p-lo, Iamsu, Sage, kool John, keek da sneak,, Andre Nickatina et. Al, have a sound I don’t hear anywhere else. I love the Bay for its exuberance and how different it is.

I don’t think people acknowledge the slang they speak is Bay. Because honestly it’s just a word or two at any given time that people are using from the Bay.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:06 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Tion, the only thing I'll grant you is there was a brief window you could call Oakland a "black" city. That window lasted a generation, maybe 30-35 years tops, and has been gone...

This weird thing you're doing comparing Oakland to New Orleans is way off base. New Orleans has black history dating hundreds of years, Oakland hasn't even made it 100 yet. Don't do that...

When Oakland was at its blackest, Los Angeles was also blacker and was still multiple times larger, with a black population multiple times greater in real volume. Oakland at no point ever in life had a more pronounced, deeper, more far reaching and influential black culture than LA. Stop it. Oakland had its height and I also agree at its peak was more nationally relevant than it is today, but was never more relevant than Black LA...

Here's a fact for you, the LV black population is now halfway to Bay Area (~255k to ~502k, CSAs), and is growing while The Bay continues to shrink. In part, as you said, from Bay refugees. At the rate of growth and decline LV and The Bay could have near equal black populations in just 15 years, but you think The Bay isn't losing ground to Vegas? Because also, black entertainment that used to primarily center around The Bay is also transferred to LV, and to a lesser extent Phoenix...

So The Bay is losing black people fast, Vegas is gaining black people, black cultural events and entertainments are growing in Vegas while shrinking in The Bay (there's almost nothing dedicated for blacks in SF anymore, the most prominent city of The Bay)....but Oakland is still the winner here?

Oakland will always remain a California legacy city for blacks, as California is somewhere with a youthful black history. Its national 15 minutes of fame were quick and are long gone, but it will be a regional spot for blacks heading west, probably forever...

Old 03-23-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Tion, the only thing I'll grant you is there was a brief window you could call Oakland a "black" city. That window lasted a generation, maybe 30-35 years tops, and has been gone...

This weird thing you're doing comparing Oakland to New Orleans is way off base. New Orleans has black history dating hundreds of years, Oakland hasn't even made it 100 yet. Don't do that...

When Oakland was at its blackest, Los Angeles was also blacker and was still multiple times larger, with a black population multiple times greater in real volume. Oakland at no point ever in life had a more pronounced, deeper, more far reaching and influential black culture than LA. Stop it. Oakland had its height and I also agree at its peak was more nationally relevant than it is today, but was never more relevant than Black LA...

Here's a fact for you, the LV black population is now halfway to Bay Area (~255k to ~502k, CSAs), and is growing while The Bay continues to shrink. In part, as you said, from Bay refugees. At the rate of growth and decline LV and The Bay could have near equal black populations in just 15 years, but you think The Bay isn't losing ground to Vegas? Because also, black entertainment that used to primarily center around The Bay is also transferred to LV, and to a lesser extent Phoenix...

So The Bay is losing black people fast, Vegas is gaining black people, black cultural events and entertainments are growing in Vegas while shrinking in The Bay (there's almost nothing dedicated for blacks in SF anymore, the most prominent city of The Bay)....but Oakland is still the winner here?

Oakland will always remain a California legacy city for blacks, as California is somewhere with a youthful black history. Its national 15 minutes of fame were quick and are long gone, but it will be a regional spot for blacks heading west, probably forever...

Black LA is only comparanle to Oakland because the city of LA is bigger in general. Black LA is extremely outshined by white LA, Mexican LA and maybe asian LA. Black Oakland outshines them all. Black Oakland is OAKLAND.

And u said 35 years ago Oakland was black prominence? Nah Oakland black population got surpassed by whites just 4 years ago. Oakland is a major city with major sports and a major image and is known as a black city around the world even though its changed recently. LA is known for much other races and cultures before its known for its blacks. Many think of Bloods and crips, a styld of rap and and khaki suits when they think of LA blacks. Oakland is known historically for black prominence since before the black panther party, sideshows, unique music sound, place tupac repped, gritty and black flavor. Black LA is mostly known because movies made since hollywood is here.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:42 PM

LA black culture influence doesnt make it a black city. The people do and LA don't have enough blacks for a city its size but Oakland does have that. Population, culture an and prominence for its city. LA is a major Mexican city tho... and then white after that. Not black though. LA is influential period because of hollywood but it doesnt change the fact of what it is. LA has more total blacks and probably more influential than Oakland, New Orleans, Atlanta, St. Louis, Baltimore because hollywood but the difference is all these cities are black cities and LA is not.

Last edited by tion91; 03-23-2020 at 08:51 PM..

Old 03-23-2020, 10:28 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
the bulk of black area lives in the northeast and southeast so yes Oakland is isolated. the bay area is just not as influential or important to black america as it used to be.
You from 908? Elizabeth. Oakland is a lottttttttttttttt more relevant and of importance to Black America than Elizabeth New Jersey. Bottom line there's Black people outside of the southeast and Northeast and you have to acknowledge that there are intermingles with other regions outside of those 2. Black people from Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Michigan, Kansas, Arkansas, Ohio share a lot more in common with the Bay Area than they do with Black folks in New Jersey. And I'm just being vague but Oakland's influence on Black Culture is still easily relevant and resonates with a good chunk of Black Americas even today.

Quote:
Vegas? VEGAS? LMAOOO Look Vegas Black population might be seeing an increase(due to it's affordability) but it's still relatively new in the conversation of Black hubs/meccas/etc. in Black America general. When you think Vegas you think the strip. You don't think Black anything and that won't change for a very long time. When most Black folks visit Vegas we do like every other tourist and stay confined to the strip. It's Black Californian's who generally migrate there because it's cheaper. It doesn't have influence though because Cali influences Vegas and have been doing so since they started migrating that way in the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I hear about Black folks from Vegas because of their high school sports and ik black people are moving there. I want to move to Vegas -I almost did in 2017.

From what I’ve heard Vegas is a very ungentrified culture, more the displaced rather than the displacers.
Yeah Black people love talking about Bishop Gorman High school. When talking about high school sports that's the ONE that gets Black people migrating all over the country to Vegas *sarcasm*. Please I'm from Texas and if your not from Cali/Florida or Texas than nationally known you ain't that talked about. Why? Cause you don't have enough talent that resonates with the public on a national level.

The most recognized athlete from Vegas is Floyd Mayweather Jr. and he's not even from Vegas his name is just synonymous with Vegas cause he made his career there and he lives there now. Oakland has recognizable athletes that remind you how unapologetically Black Oakland is. When you see these athletes you know "Oh yeah they embody Oakland". Marshawn Lynch/ Marcus Peters/ Gary Payton/ Damian Lillard/ Jason Kidd/ Bill Russell/Frank Robinson/ Andre Ward/ Paul Pierce..etc...etc.etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Oakland had influential slang not music. And in love Bay Area music till this day-specifically because it’s so unique and different. p-lo, Iamsu, Sage, kool John, keek da sneak,, Andre Nickatina et. Al, have a sound I don’t hear anywhere else. I love the Bay for its exuberance and how different it is.

I don’t think people acknowledge the slang they speak is Bay. Because honestly it’s just a word or two at any given time that people are using from the Bay.
Too Short birthed a lot of people styles first and foremost that's still relevant to this day. 2pac might not have had a "regional" sound to his music but he gives credit to Oakland for being his biggest influence when it came to his music. Oh and for a good couple of summers everybody was biting the Bay Area sound when DJ Mustard started stealing their production. From Tyga to 2 Chainz to Big Sean to Drake everybody was rapping over Bay inspired production. I mean at least Drake shot a video in Frisco and paid his respect to the area. The Bay area probably produced the most slang words in hip-hop period so it's way more than just a word or two.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:51 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
LA black culture influence doesnt make it a black city. The people do and LA don't have enough blacks for a city its size but Oakland does have that. Population, culture an and prominence for its city. LA is a major Mexican city tho... and then white after that. Not black though. LA is influential period because of hollywood but it doesnt change the fact of what it is. LA has more total blacks and probably more influential than Oakland, New Orleans, Atlanta, St. Louis, Baltimore because hollywood but the difference is all these cities are black cities and LA is not.
exactly. When you think of LA, Black culture might not even be the first thing that comes to your mind. LA definitely has a well respected and influential Black culture and it helps that Hollywood is in LA so for that alone we get a glimpse of many different facets of LA culture. But the black culture in LA isn't the dominant culture in the city period. Black culture is synonymous with the city of Oakland. When you think Oakland, you think Black for the most part. Even non Black people in Oakland are heavily influenced by Black culture and it don't even come off disingenuous either.

Also Oakland's Blackness was on full display nationally in films like Black Panther, Sorry to Bother You, and Blindspotting. 3 critically acclaimed films and 1 that was a game changer. Again even with Oakland Black populace shrinking, it's influence is still relevant in Black America. The fact that the NBA put "The Town" on Golden State Warriors jersey's shows how influential the black culture is in Oakland. A lot of people know The Town is Oakland. Even GSW embodied Oakland's culture which is heavily influenced by Black culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City