Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 08:49 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times

Advertisements

What are the criteria you guys are using to determine what the black capitals of America are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 03:41 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
What are the criteria you guys are using to determine what the black capitals of America are?
I think the criteria should be simply the most populous Black metros of each state and/or sub-regions of the country.

Old 12-27-2023, 03:59 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
I think the criteria should be simply the most populous Black metros of each state and/or sub-regions of the country.

I think a thread like that came and went that was black by cultural relevance by region a few years back. Where I divided the nation into like 12/13 black cultural regions and we spoke for a long time.

Each state or region seems like too much. It's just not necessary. I think it clear its Atlanta. With runner up going to DC. I.e its not THAT ambiguous.

Old 12-27-2023, 04:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I think a thread like that came and went that was black by cultural relevance by region a few years back. Where I divided the nation into like 12/13 black cultural regions and we spoke for a long time.

Each state or region seems like too much. It's just not necessary. I think it clear its Atlanta. With runner up going to DC. I.e its not THAT ambiguous.
From a data stand point, it would be very hard to see any other place but Atlanta being it especially if were just talking about African Americans. When foreign born black people enter the equation that would push DC further up, but I still don't see it from a demographic standpoint. But again I am only looking at demographic and growth data, not things like cultural institutions, nightlife, education, etc.

I think its also important to point out that the DC is a lot more multicultural than Atlanta which makes it harder for DC to be the "capital" of a particular race.

But again it all depends on what parameters people want to set on this debate.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

I meant in a sum up fashion as we covered it completely. Atlanta being the De Facto Afram Capital is cool and as I stated in the past I would go with D.C from a historical standpoint.

Old 12-27-2023, 10:39 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Keep in mind that, in several countries, including Australia, Brazil, Canada and the United States, the capital of the country is not its most populous city.

I would consider the "capital" of Black America to be the city that has the greatest influence on Black culture and the Black economy, regardless of population.

Atlanta IMO fits this description better than any other city (=metro) in the country, at least right now.

MDAllstar: I know you didn't ask me, but usually "larger" in a discussion of city size is synonymous with "more populous", period, and how densely that population is packed together matters less if at all. In your second hypothetical, the city of 3 million would be the largest even though the least populous of those three cities is the densest.

That said, the smallest of those three would probably look and feel the most like a "city" for the same reason.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Keep in mind that, in several countries, including Australia, Brazil, Canada and the United States, the capital of the country is not its most populous city.

I would consider the "capital" of Black America to be the city that has the greatest influence on Black culture and the Black economy, regardless of population.

Atlanta IMO fits this description better than any other city (=metro) in the country, at least right now.

MDAllstar: I know you didn't ask me, but usually "larger" in a discussion of city size is synonymous with "more populous", period, and how densely that population is packed together matters less if at all. In your second hypothetical, the city of 3 million would be the largest even though the least populous of those three cities is the densest.

That said, the smallest of those three would probably look and feel the most like a "city" for the same reason.
"Greatest influence" have too many subjectivities tied to it. It's one the major league Black centres that's experiencing it's shine in modernity.

"Black economy"? How?

True about that population difference for actual capitals and major cities of countries but this is Ethnic Capitals per say and that changes. Heck, who knows what would be debated as "Black Capital" in 2100 or 2200 america.

Old 12-28-2023, 04:39 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Size and density matters though. Anyone in this region will tell you they can work from either DC or Baltimore, go to dinner and parties in either DC or Baltimore and most people do. Even DC’s reality TV show Potomac Housewives has people living in Virginia and Hartford County MD. That’s the point though. Half the Black people support the Ravens and the other half support the Commanders. If we fly Southwest, we fly out of BWI. United and international, we fly out of Dulles. American, we fly out of DCA. I have tons of friends that live in Howard County, Anne Arundel County, Baltimore county, and Baltimore city. I can get to them all in 30 minutes leaving from my home in Ward 7 DC on the BWI parkway or Route 50.

If you’re strictly referring to pop culture, Atlanta is absolutely most popular for the reason I stated earlier. If you’re talking prestige, then it’s DC. I think people are talking about pop culture when they vote for Atlanta and they would be right. Music, Movies, and style, and many other things come out of Atlanta. Unfortunately, it’s also the downfall of Black culture historically. Things are just different now! Values and manners are different now. It’s ghetto and social media has allowed it to even influence DC kids. Everyone wants to be like Atlanta so in that way, you’re right. NYC and LA have impacted American culture in similar ways. That’s the power of media and imagery.

DC gave us BET and Black excellence. Black excellence started to change once BET started leaving DC during the rise of the south and Atlanta. Hip Hop rappers started having poor grammar and annunciation and the world fell in love with it.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 12-28-2023 at 04:56 AM..

Old 12-28-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Size and density matters though. Anyone in this region will tell you they can work from either DC or Baltimore, go to dinner and parties in either DC or Baltimore and most people do. Even DC’s reality TV show Potomac Housewives has people living in Virginia and Hartford County MD. That’s the point though. Half the Black people support the Ravens and the other half support the Commanders. If we fly Southwest, we fly out of BWI. United and international, we fly out of Dulles. American, we fly out of DCA. I have tons of friends that live in Howard County, Anne Arundel County, Baltimore county, and Baltimore city. I can get to them all in 30 minutes leaving from my home in Ward 7 DC on the BWI parkway or Route 50.

If you’re strictly referring to pop culture, Atlanta is absolutely most popular for the reason I stated earlier. If you’re talking prestige, then it’s DC. I think people are talking about pop culture when they vote for Atlanta and they would be right. Music, Movies, and style, and many other things come out of Atlanta. Unfortunately, it’s also the downfall of Black culture historically. Things are just different now! Values and manners are different now. It’s ghetto and social media has allowed it to even influence DC kids. Everyone wants to be like Atlanta so in that way, you’re right. NYC and LA have impacted American culture in similar ways. That’s the power of media and imagery.

DC gave us BET and Black excellence. Black excellence started to change once BET started leaving DC during the rise of the south and Atlanta. Hip Hop rappers started having poor grammar and annunciation and the world fell in love with it.
LoL, What? I think that's an incredible leap to conclusion and correlation isn't causation along with inaccuracy.

Old 12-28-2023, 02:24 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I have tons of friends and family in Atlanta. Anyone who has never heard anyone talking about scammers and posers in Atlanta probably doesn’t live there and has no connection to the city. This is common knowledge amongst the residents there which is why they hate transplants so much. They are the problem!

If this is new to you, I question how long you have been in Atlanta or your familiarity to Atlanta. I mean, just go listen to vlogs about Atlanta and you’ll hear the complaints. The type of people coming to Atlanta is the problem.
That's a rather outdated perspective. The biggest complaints about transplants these days are transplants' complaints that Atlanta isn't like wherever they're from ("Delta is ready when you are"), there are too many of them making traffic worse and housing more expensive ("We full!"), and not distinguishing Atlanta from its suburbs ("XYZ ain't Atlanta"). In their heyday, scammers/posers were sharing airtime with those who were disappointed that their lives didn't automatically improve by moving to the metro area from another region of the country. The 15 minutes of fame for scammers/posers came to end around the time the recession hit in '08 and when Atlanta's pop culture and fim/TV/music profile started rising nationwide. The latter even gave some of the scammers/posers opportunities to go legit and achieve success above-board.

Today what defines Black Atlanta more than anything is its political significance as evidenced by recent high-profile mayoral race results, Stacey Abrams' initial gubernatorial campaign, the death of Rep. John Lewis, 2018 midterm election developments, Sen Warnock's first partial-term election to the Senate and his subsequent full-term election victory against Herschel Walker, the state's flip to the blue column politically, and Charles Blow's call to make GA a Black political stronghold. Along with that is its economic performance and potential for its Black residents which is reflected by metro Atlanta's consistent top rankings for best places for Black Americans nationally, the imperative to improve racial equity in the city proper, and the announced investments in 2020 targeted towards benefitting the region's Black workforce and the AUC institutions beginning in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City