Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 02:21 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I don't. How disingenous of you, as usual
I just find it odd and disrespectful that some posters are ashamed of Atlanta's blackness and try to minimize and deny it. I think Atlanta's blackness is what makes it unique and it should be embraced by residents such as yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 02:54 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You are correct...Marshall, Texas

Marshall, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me...
Uh, I see. Where?

Not to take anything away from Marshall, but I think the claims they make are a bit of exaggeration at best or a flat out reorganization of history at worst.

Particularly in the HBCU department.

Wiley College
and what else?

And Wiley against Howard, Tuskeegee, Hampton, Dillard, Wilberforce, and Fisk (the last two historically)? I won't even bring in Spelman, Morehouse or AU into that conversation as I don't want it to seem like I'm being biased...and it would get a bit embarrassing for Wiley.

But seriously, Marshall, TX?

Old 10-20-2010, 03:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Uh, I see. Where?

Not to take anything away from Marshall, but I think the claims they make are a bit of exaggeration at best or a flat out reorganization of history at worst.

Particularly in the HBCU department.

Wiley College
and what else?

And Wiley against Howard, Tuskeegee, Hampton, Dillard, Wilberforce, and Fisk (the last two historically)? I won't even bring in Spelman, Morehouse or AU into that conversation as I don't want it to seem like I'm being biased...and it would get a bit embarrassing for Wiley.

But seriously, Marshall, TX?
Go back here to see how Marshall entered the conversation.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I can see U ain't movin, and neither am I!LOL.We just have to agree to disagree.
Its not about who has more and for how long.Capitals do change you know.Since the question is not one of historical emphasis,then for me its Atlanta.Part of what makes people identify with a place is recognizing the history and accomplishments.While many people know of New Orleans unfortunately its not held in the revered status (as it should).To much negativity(unfortunately)is associated with it.Southern cities like Memphis,Birmingham,Jacksonville all have a stigma do to the poverty and corruption by their own leaders.Atlanta actually could have been included in that to an extent.We turned that corner I think after the Olympics.Yet even then due to Bill Campbell's reign some negativity only now has subsided.

I believe the future is bright for New Orleans now because people recognize what they almost lost.But for the majority of A.A. its gonna take a lot longer to realize this
NO actually seems to be more of a blending of cultures not just one maybe thats why it isn't considered a black capital (although I don't believe there is one). A lot of NO culture has to do with the mixing of African/French & Spanish/Native cultures. This happened because the French and Spanish (Portuguese as well) allowed their slaves and the natives to assimilate into their culture more. And that's not just in NO either (Also in the Caribbean, Brazil & Latin America). Where as blacks in anglo-saxon colonies tended to practice their traditions in secret (we were not totally stripped of our traditons like the history books tell you). Much of AA culture actually came about because of segregation. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Civil Rights Movement, Harlem Renaisance, The Nation of Islam, Hip Hop, Blues, Pop, R&B, Black Power Movement, Black Arts Movement, Gospel music, Rock and Roll, Doo wop, house, techno, many dance styles, the black church etc just as important as anything in NO to african american culture? many of these were created in other cities.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:15 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Go back here to see how Marshall entered the conversation.
^Even with that said no need for him to throw Willey College under the bus. HBCU have a hard enough time getting respect as it is. If he understood the demographics of Texas he would understand Marshall, Texas significant to black Texans. The majority of those native black Texans roots came from East Texas. Marshall at that time was the cultural capital and still in many regards considered the culture capital of East Texas. Bishop College and Wiley College laid the foundation for the civil rights movement in the state of Texas. Rather the poster wants to acknowledge it or not it is his business. When it comes to subjects regarding "Black America" this is the main reason I make such sarcastic comments because some Atlantans disregard the rest of black history as if there’s trump all. Black America is bigger than the 1.7 million blacks that encompass Metro ATL. Knowledge is infinite people...If there is a such thing as a black capital Atlanta wins no contest.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 10-20-2010 at 05:28 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 05:22 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
ha ha you got jokes...but nope it aint Fort Worth...I don't expect an Atlantan to know the answer to the question considering everything begins and end in ATL as far as the black experience in America.
ouch!Hey man.I have stood up for Dallas (especially) black roots many of times when YOU were getting hammered by the "Houston Homies"

Old 10-20-2010, 05:38 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
I just find it odd and disrespectful that some posters are ashamed of Atlanta's blackness and try to minimize and deny it. I think Atlanta's blackness is what makes it unique and it should be embraced by residents such as yourself.
I gotta take up for Johnatl.That is not what he was saying.He is often speaking out against racist,sexist or other remarks.With this comment I agree with him.The only reason I did not say anything is because he already did.

We have had a topic about this before on C-D where I brought up that very same thing.I mentioned something to the fact that in order to be a truly international city it must be unified in one culture.The wording I could have said better as I originally said it was a positive thing about Atlanta being less black.Some "psuedo" liberal white guy from a Northern state who hates Atlanta asked me why would I want to diminish the black population of Atlanta as that is the only thing(in his mid) that made it unique.He then turned it around and tried to act as if I was the one who said diminish when in reality I only meant that every great city has to grow and change to become more accepting and wordily of all culture.We cannot be selfish but we can respect what we have by also respecting other newcomers ways as well

When I explained,he got really indignant and acused me of being a racist!I told him Im black,he preceded to tell me off and feign like he was defending the honor of the black race.Even though the other posters (whom were black) also understood what I said.

So no that is not what he meant.Go back and look through many of his post and you will see he is a very open ,honest and fair poster.In fact most of the Atlanta posters are like that.Black,Asian or white

Old 10-20-2010, 05:39 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
LOL! Try again.

You could not possiby be more insulting if you tried, which I'm sure you will.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I gotta take up for Johnatl.That is not what he was saying.He is often speaking out against racist,sexist or other remarks.With this comment I agree with him.The only reason I did not say anything is because he already did.

We have had a topic about this before on C-D where I brought up that very same thing.I mentioned something to the fact that in order to be a truly international city it must be unified in one culture.The wording I could have said better as I originally said it was a positive thing about Atlanta being less black.Some "psuedo" liberal white guy from a Northern state who hates Atlanta asked me why would I want to diminish the black population of Atlanta as that is the only thing(in his mid) that made it unique.He then turned it around and tried to act as if I was the one who said diminish when in reality I only meant that every great city has to grow and change to become more accepting and wordily of all culture.We cannot be selfish but we can respect what we have by also respecting other newcomers ways as well

When I explained,he got really indignant and acused me of being a racist!I told him Im black,he preceded to tell me off and feign like he was defending the honor of the black race.Even though the other posters (whom were black) also understood what I said.

So no that is not what he meant.Go back and look through many of his post and you will see he is a very open ,honest and fair poster.In fact most of the Atlanta posters are like that.Black,Asian or white
Just so you'll know, you are speaking to the exact same poster that you reference. He is using a new name. It appears his hatred of Atlanta has only grown worse.

And thanks for the props!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 PM

442 posts, read 828,176 times
Quote:
I find it stupid that certain closet racist poster would try to patronize the Atlanta posters by claiming there is nothing but "black music" in Atlanta, as if so called "black music" even exist and subsequently implying all black people only like what is portrayed as "black music" ( rap, r&b) which is a lie at best; meanwhile Atlanta has a very diverse music scene from hip hop to metal to trance to noise and everything in between. Nice try though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City