Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 06:23 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Eek have you ridden any of these systems or are you just resting on your laurels that NYC has the best system because youdon't have a frame of reference? And if we throw in buses and commuter rail it doesn't necessarily help NYC's case anyways. Mexico City's army of peseros and luxury intercity buses would be in the running then.

Besides it's hard to argue that the MTA is the best system in the world when it's not even properly funded and has to cut service. And ridership declined last year while on-time performance also fell. Wish I could post links right now but I'm typing this out on my phone.

If the NYC is your favorite subway that's fine because it's subjective. But to just assume it's the best in the world when few observers (who have ridden all systems) would agree is doing NYC a disservice. We need better mass transit funding formulas in this country to compete with countries that value mass transit.
there is no one overall "best system in the world" that EVERYONE agrees with so...

and nyc is and always will be in the discussion when it comes to best subway systems in the world. we are and always will be top 5 in this discussion (tokyo, moscow, nyc, hong kong, etc.)

even with the service cuts, we have more lines than any other city, iirc.

take away 5 more lines and we still are on par with any city that you can name.

with that said, the service cuts did not just have lines taken away and stations emptied. the M is taking up where the V left off and the Q where the W left off. again, there are plans to extend the 7 line and a new line (the T aka the 2nd av subway) is being worked on.

if the nyc subway is not your favorite then fine, but for americans to sit at their computer and **** on our system when this is the only system in the country that can even go toe to toe with any of the best systems in the world and be on par if not outright win against them is sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
With EEK there one of the biggest NYC homers. Everything in NYC is better regardless if he travels or not. In his mind Nothing can compare to NYC.
CD is full of ppl that don't root for their own.

full of ppl that look for some sort of fault in their own country and put the world, mainly europe, on some sort of pedestal.

i have LIVED in europe and have visited various countries outside of the U.S., for the record.

but i'm a nyer so that means i'm uncultured, sheltered, and ignorant about the rest of the outside world and the u.s., right?

i call a spade a spade. nyc is a great city and many around the world agree. many would say its the best city on the planet. many more would say that than those that wouldn't.

but to answer your question, no, nothing compares with nyc. especially in america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
The trains are practically empty between 2 and 4 am they can use that time too pressure wash walls and clean up access trash etc
vacuum train

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51hiYXjQlc8

pressure washing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPfVdHTeluI

oh ok tho.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:58 PM
eek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btu64vcGHXM

but none of the above will be "good enough" for those that just don't like nyc.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 PM

175 posts, read 287,128 times
Just the fact that NYC has express trains does give it the edge...

Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
eek

a few nyc pros:
-24 hours
-air conditioned cars and stations
-express trains
-larger cars (makes a diff, trust me)
-you go farther for less; its more affordable to the average joe
-more (?) wheelchair accessible stations, iirc

also, ppl are acting like the paris metro and the london tube don't see its share of graffiti...rome (which admittedly hasn't been mentioned) definitely has its share of graffiti.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM

175 posts, read 287,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
a few nyc pros:
-24 hours
-express trains
-you go farther for less
-24 hours is a big plus, although the system is looking quite tired. The railcars are tired which is why NY subway cars give a rougher ride.

-I think all systems offer that, at least I hope so

-Definitely a plus

-Depends, NYC subway cars are different sizes,but not any bigger than WMATA cars for instance. The seating arrangement does give them more capacity though.

-Another big plus

Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
a few nyc pros:
-24 hours
-express trains
-you go farther for less
Air Conditioned stations? Where , they can't air condition a station......unless it has platform screen doors and only a few stations will have those. Some stations have fans but many do not. 24hr service is good , but the system should be shut down for a cleaning. The PATH cleans its Tunnels and Stations once a day and its a 24/7 system. At the rate the MTA keeps raising the fare , it will be higher then DC's by 2020. Some of the cars are very dirty , and some do not have heat or air conditioning. The system needs to be expanded into Queens and Brooklyn and the Light Rail network needs to be expanded into Jersey.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:37 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Air Conditioned stations? Where , they can't air condition a station......unless it has platform screen doors and only a few stations will have those. Some stations have fans but many do not. 24hr service is good , but the system should be shut down for a cleaning. The PATH cleans its Tunnels and Stations once a day and its a 24/7 system. At the rate the MTA keeps raising the fare , it will be higher then DC's by 2020. Some of the cars are very dirty , and some do not have heat or air conditioning. The system needs to be expanded into Queens and Brooklyn and the Light Rail network needs to be expanded into Jersey.
all old cars (the dirty ones for example that still run on the J/Z sometimes or the C train) are being retired, tho. most lines are operating the new cars. most of the old cars have been put in the bottom of the ocean to serve as artificial reefs.

there isn't a train car operating right now in nyc that doesn't have air conditioning.

the PATH doesn't carry anywhere near as many passengers daily so of course its cleaner.

the fare hikes are ridiculous, i'll give you that, but in all honesty, we're still paying a lot less than even cities in the U.S., let alone the world. we get far more bang for our buck. that is not justifying the service cuts or the fare hike but it is what it is.

bk doesn't need an expansion as far as lines, IMO. eastern queens does, but again, they are covered by the lirr and many buses.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,095 times
Miami clearly has the larger longer skyline, there's really no argument.

We have the better subway system too.

Third largest skyline outside of LA and NYC.

MIAMI!

GO MIAMI SKYLINE! GO GO GO....

Yeahhhhh!

Green quarter! Donnie wants a kiss like on showtime.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
NYC is the best in the US by almost any metric.

In regards to the world, it's a contender with its own pros and cons. Comparable transit systems would be those of London, Paris, Berlin, Moscow, Tokyo, Seoul and Shanghai. I personally wouldn't put NYC on the top of this list for a lot of reasons, but it is in the same tier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City