Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:24 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,581 times

Advertisements

yeah that hipster Olympics video is HYSTERICAL.

to get back on topic:

the hipster capital of America would clearly be NYC based on sheer numbers. As far as hipster per capita goes, it has to be Boston. College is a haven/breeding grounds for hipsters, and Boston is the college capital of the world; there's about 5 million colleges in the boston metro lol. Boston must have at least a 1:4 hipster to regular human ratio.

in terms of self-sustaining hipster havens I'd have to say SF, Seattle, LA, CHI, and cities like these would be up there.

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 10-25-2010 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
existentialism is a branch of philosophy lmao; that's like saying "i hate math; its just as stupid as algebra."

anyways, I completely agree: philosophy is incredibly boring; but anyone who's ventured beyond introductory level philosophy classes can tell you that it is anything but pretentious. Pseudo-intellectuals (such as hipsters) give philosophy a bad name and do in fact make it seem like a pretty pretentious discipline. in reality, philosophy is almost completely based on logical and analytical thinking (though existentialism does loosen up these constraints a bit). A bunch of the phil. courses I've taken would look like a math class to most people; contrary to popular belief (thanks to hipsters and the like) philosophy isn't some obscure BS where stoners sit around and talk a bunch of nonsense. having a background in philosophy is arguably the most beneficial foundation for one to pursue a career in Law. And that's what I'm doing it for; not to impress a bunch of d-bags at the local coffee house.

the bottom line is hipsters suck. hopefully your not one--but if you are, I hope someone from your city here on CD finds you riding your stupid vintage bicycle and sticks a stick in your spoke causing you to fly over the handle bars and rip your size 00 womens jeans/shatter your steve urcle glasses.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oh god that bit on philosophy put me to sleep a bit sorry. i don't wear skinny jeans..... but if it's very important for you, i do wear levi's. i do ride bikes but only cause it is cheaper.... sorry if you find that pretentious.

unlike you, i will not wish bad things for you. i hope the greek gods look upon you and rid you of your boringness and give you a shot at a threesome, or orgy.... or something that's far from boring. obviously sonic youth won't do it for you.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:24 PM

172 posts, read 485,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
existentialism is a branch of philosophy lmao; that's like saying "i hate math; its just as stupid as algebra."

anyways, I completely agree: philosophy is incredibly boring; but anyone who's ventured beyond introductory level philosophy classes can tell you that it is anything but pretentious. Pseudo-intellectuals (such as hipsters) give philosophy a bad name and do in fact make it seem like a pretty pretentious discipline. in reality, philosophy is almost completely based on logical and analytical thinking (though existentialism does loosen up these constraints a bit). A bunch of the phil. courses I've taken would look like a math class to most people; contrary to popular belief (thanks to hipsters and the like) philosophy isn't some obscure BS where stoners sit around and talk a bunch of nonsense. having a background in philosophy is arguably the most beneficial foundation for one to pursue a career in Law. And that's what I'm doing it for; not to impress a bunch of d-bags at the local coffee house.

the bottom line is hipsters suck. hopefully your not one--but if you are, I hope someone from your city here on CD finds you riding your stupid vintage bicycle and sticks a stick in your spoke causing you to fly over the handle bars and rip your size 00 womens jeans/shatter your steve urcle glasses.

So much anger against a group of people who really have no effect on your life... Or do they? Did your girl recently dump you for a hipster? I'd like to know the back-story to this bizarre hatred of yours!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Personally I think philosophy is about the most stupid, boring and pretentious studies out there. It's just as stupid as existentialism. I mean.... I know that greeks invented orgies and philosophy but man.... it's quite fathomable to believe they get laid. Thanks though!
Uhh Existentialism is part of philosophy, continental philosophy. Most of your top philosophy depts are more analytical with smaller continental specialties. Though it is discussed of course... It would be pretty hard to get an academic position just based on existential philosophy.
Greeks inventing orgies, while I am not sure orgies are an invention per se, but come naturally among species is more akin to anthropology, or if you want to specifically target greek culture then that would be more a course in classics, not philosophy. If you did want to relate it back to philosophy however you'd probably have to look more specifically towards hedonist philosophy of ancient greeks, probably even more specifically epicureanism.

LoL @ philosophy being pretentious, do you even know what pretentious means?

Last edited by grapico; 10-25-2010 at 10:33 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesDrifter View Post
So much anger against a group of people who really have no effect on your life... Or do they? Did your girl recently dump you for a hipster? I'd like to know the back-story to this bizarre hatred of yours!

because, they pride themselves on being NON conformists--and look down on people who conform with any type of clique; yet they comprise one of the biggest and most easily identifiable (due to ALL Of THEM CONFORMING) 'cliques' in society today! hipsters EPITOMZIE hypocrisy.

All other clique's--no matter how weird and stupid they may be--at least remain consistent with the image (or 'clique') they desire and take pride in affiliating with.

Examples:

-Emo kids don't identify themselves as optimists.
-Jocks don't identify themselves as bookworms.
-Preps don't identify themselves as poorly dressed, dirty scrubs.

-Hipsters identify themselves as nonconforming individualists who blatanly perceive people in 'cliques' as being inferior....... but they dress the same, hang out in the same places, use the same lingo, listen to the same music, watch the same kind of movies, etc. you get the point.

this kind of thing just bothers me.

imagine if a gang of emo kids with black womens eyeliner, tight black clothes, long black shaggy hair covering one eye, mutilated wrists, and "life sucks" tattoos started criticizing you for being an overly emotional pessimist.

imagine if brock lesnar criticized stephen hawking for being a meat-head.

imagine if marlyn manson criticized...well.....anyone....for being weird.

imagine if anyone from the 'Atlanta/NYC/OC/Jersey/DC Housewives' series criticized...well...anyone...for being superficial.

this is the type of hypocrisy that hipsters are guilty of.

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 10-25-2010 at 10:45 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
I am equally bothered of hypocrisy among the hipster populations, but this population specifically tends to trend, through their trends no less, towards having all the more of the hypocrites in subcultures today.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:56 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
The main reason I find Hipsters annoying is because they tend to retain all of the worst qualities of the internet generation. A lot of them seem to think that they're superior human beings because they learned everything they know about life outside of their white bread suburbs from a computer screen... these are the same people who claim to be "far more open minded than the mainstream" but in reality see minorities as cute, cuddly and (most importantly) firmly below them on the social ladder which is what allows them to pretend to have something in common. Why else do you get a ****load of rich hipsters living in The Mission, a predominantly latino working class neighorhood that has issues with gang violence? It's not like the Hipsters ever truly connnect themselves to the neighborhood... for them it's just a way of proving that they're "not pretentious" and "authentic" or whatever bull**** they think they're proving. Strangely enough, the overflow of Hipsters in SF is finding its way to Fruitvale (equivalent Mexican neighborhood in Oakland) Temescal (historic black neighorhood) and West Oakland (historic black neighborhood). The saddest part of this is that these people end up driving the housing prices in the area up another grand BECAUSE THEY'RE ACTUALLY RICH, and they eventually kick the locals out. And once the area suddenly becomes "too pretentious" (ie there's too many other hipsters for them to stand out as the lone 'individuals') they start the **** over again and gentrify another neighborhood. Did I mention that the vast majority of hipsters are white? I wonder why that is...

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 10-25-2010 at 11:08 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Uhh Existentialism is part of philosophy, continental philosophy. Most of your top philosophy depts are more analytical with smaller continental specialties. Though it is discussed of course... It would be pretty hard to get an academic position just based on existential philosophy.
Greeks inventing orgies, while I am not sure orgies are an invention per se, but come naturally among species is more akin to anthropology, or if you want to specifically target greek culture then that would be more a course in classics, not philosophy. If you did want to relate it back to philosophy however you'd probably have to look more specifically towards hedonist philosophy of ancient greeks, probably even more specifically epicureanism.

LoL @ philosophy being pretentious, do you even know what pretentious means?
Good to see another CD'r with a head on their shoulders.

Note how in his post, while trying to criticize people with a background in philosophy for being boring and how it blows your mind to think that they could get laid, he said "it is quite fathomable to believe how they even get laid". so he basically just said something equivalent to "its easy to understand how philosophers get laid".

I wonder if while trying to sound smart he mistakenely said fathomable instead of UNFATHOMABLE, or if this is just some of that characteristic hipster irony that I am simply incapable of comprehending.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
This is exactly the kind of **** I'm talking about:

Did you know that white people are now the largest demographic in Oakland? And its not because a huge number of them came either... it has more to do with areas like the Oakland-Berkeley border (historically black neighborhood) becoming increasingly gentrified and too expensive for the people who were living there before... the black demographic decreased the most. Oh yeah, did I mention Berkeley is the baby SF of Hipsters? Gotta love CAL... all those starving CAL hipsters reduced to having to live in South Berkeley/North Oakland because... they chose to.

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 10-25-2010 at 11:23 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 11:18 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,186,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Ironic, isn't it? "Look at those loser, douchbag, good for nothing, poser, PRETENTIOUS Hipsters" I also love Sonic Youth(although I'm faaar from being a Hipster).
lol! I love this comment! +1
Hey, you know how to find the biggest hipster on a thread? It's a person who appears to hate hipsters the most in the forum yet seems know more about hipster than anyone else on the thread. I guess it's just not ironic enough just admit they're hipsters, so they have to go online and bash the very culture they've indulged themselves in.

Admittedly, I might be a hypocrite because to some extent I do the same thing. I love indie music, old school bands, skinny jeans, vintage cloths, art, riding my bike, etc. Although, I'm really not all that pretentious (I'm generally pretty open minded and excepting of people), and I also refuse to wear fake glasses just to be trendy. It's kind of a strange culture in that no one wants to admit they're a hipster because there is such a negative connotation attached to the word. I'm sticking with the theory that hipster's denial of their hipsterness is just another way to prove how ironic they are.

EDIT: Sorry polo... I couldn't do the +1. It said I need to "spread it around."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City