Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the liveliest?
Memphis 5 4.13%
New Orleans 15 12.40%
Atlanta 57 47.11%
Philadelphia 13 10.74%
DC 31 25.62%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly born Jersey raised View Post
Ther he goes again...Was that supposed to be a correction ???Just listen to this guy I don't know if I like him or even wnt to talk any more....Peace love & soultrain "chocolate city"
Well you obviously don't know anything about DC. You already put your foot in your mouth when you assumed we didn't have carnival..lol...maybe you should visit since it seems you have never even been to DC.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:52 AM

191 posts, read 214,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Pump the brakes!..lol...Nobody is saying everyone is uneducated that is blue collar. Try to put what I said back in context since you took it out of context. I was speaking about his claim that black DC residents aren't making much money and have high unemployment compared to white residents. I was explaining that the high unemployment across the river is mainly because of the lack of blue collar jobs in their community. The high poverty and low education level as well as the amount of residents with a record makes it very hard to get a job in that area of DC. Philly is not on the same level as DC from a professional standpoint on sheer numbers of white collar jobs so I don't even know why you challenged that. Plenty of people make money in blue collar jobs but there has to be a job to work at also.

The city is trying to change that though. They are bringing a ton of new projects across the river providing economic development that will create new construction jobs and retail jobs in ward 7 and 8 which badly needs it. You need to slow down and read before you respond. I was describing wards 7 and 8 which is spot on. Nobody is talking about you and people you know.

Philadelphia doesn't have as many professionals ad dc is strictly because of politics. Philadelphia is a very professional city no doubt about it.

kind of sucks that in dc you need all of this bullsh%t just to get this stupid ass job. More professional? Sure take it. Unemployed? Yea you can take that to and stamp it on the back of dcs ass.

While Philadelphia job market is more diversified than dc and any other white collar city, there are people hear who haven't went to college and making over 70k a year.

so I never understood being happy that your city is white collar when a bunch of your communities are unemployed.

I made a thread about this and people prefer cities with a mix of both collars

Old 06-30-2011, 12:55 AM

149 posts, read 161,862 times
Quote:
Well you obviously don't know anything about DC. You already put your foot in your mouth when you assumed we didn't have carnival..lol...maybe you should visit since it seems you have never even been to DC.
You sitll talkin to me?? Foot in mouth huh? You get the percentace from the 56% black pop. figures back for me.You know the ones making 42k a year livin 700 a month apts...mister white collar????

Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Luxury View Post
Philadelphia doesn't have as many professionals ad dc is strictly because of politics. Philadelphia is a very professional city no doubt about it.

kind of sucks that in dc you need all of this bullsh%t just to get this stupid ass job. More professional? Sure take it. Unemployed? Yea you can take that to and stamp it on the back of dcs ass.

While Philadelphia job market is more diversified than dc and any other white collar city, there are people hear who haven't went to college and making over 70k a year.

so I never understood being happy that your city is white collar when a bunch of your communities are unemployed.

Cosign.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:

There are people here making over 100,000K without a degree...lol...Infact, my friends dad never went to college and he retired from the CIA making 250,000 dollars a year...Most government jobs you don't even need a degree. You just move up the ladder.

We have the lowest unemployment rate of all major metro area's in the whole country. Our unemployment rate is like 5.7% right now. What is the Philly metro's? I think we are doing just fine.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
There are people here making over 100,000K without a degree...lol...Infact, my friends dad never went to college and he retired from the CIA making 250,000 dollars a year...Most government jobs you don't even need a degree. You just move up the ladder.

We have the lowest unemployment rate of all major metro area's in the whole country. Our unemployment rate is like 5.7% right now. What is the Philly metro's? I think we are doing just fine.
he must've been working for YEARS. I don't know who let him work the job without a degree especially a government job making that much.

since I'm going to assume he worked there for well over 25 years. He got the job when no one could get in college since it was to difficult and expensive to get in..

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
he must've been working for YEARS. I don't know who let him work the job without a degree especially a government job making that much.

since I'm going to assume he worked there for well over 25 years. He got the job when no one could get in college since it was to difficult and expensive to get in..
No, actually he designed security systems and safe rooms etc. all over the world. It was the kind of job he can't talk about. He started in the mail room and worked his way up. You might not know this, but the government is about experience over anything else.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 AM

Philadelphia is 8.4 not bad but that doesn't mean DCs job market is more diversified than Phillies job market.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:

Jeez you guys resurect me.... Gov't jobs?? This is gettin funnier by the moment gov't does not hire outsuders ANYMORE it's all with in! I think I went into this My uncle actually worked in admin with gov't in DC hired contractors for the gov't.So yeah I can see the blue collar move up real high in the gov't unless prior military you just don't get those jobs.You know the guys you mentioned earlier that are blue collar & probably all have "records"...hospitals for that matter higher contractors now...just business.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly born Jersey raised View Post
Jeez you guys resurect me.... Gov't jobs?? This is gettin funnier by the moment gov't does not hire outsuders ANYMORE it's all with in! I think I went into this My uncle actually worked in admin with gov't in DC hired contractors for the gov't.So yeah I can see the blue collar move up real high in the gov't unless prior military you just don't get those jobs.You know the guys you mentioned earlier that are blue collar & probably all have "records"...hospitals for that matter higher contractors now...just business.
that exactly what I'm saying. There's no way big gov jobs like designing safe rooms and fixing security do not require college degrees to get in. At least not anymore. If that was the case colleges would not be making money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City