Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London or New York
London 53 42.06%
New York City 73 57.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:35 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
yea it is nice. But madison square garden being ugly , wow lol all opinions i guess, but like ohio said their are projects being done to rehab it.
True...but I think this is one area where even New Yorkers will concede. London has the better looking stadiums in the city. O2, Emirates, and Wembley are all badass (IMO Chelsea's stadium is tacky and ugly)...and the new Olympic stadium are only going to help London's argument in this area.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 17,870 times
It's interesting to see (predictably) so many people voting New York in this thread. I'm not sure if these stats are entirely relevant to the topic as this is a bit businessy but a few stats to put into the pot lifted from my blog -

- 4 out of the top 5 law firms in both cities are in London including the top 3
- 6 out the top 10 selling music acts of all time are from London including the top 2 (Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones)
- The top ten largest companies in both cities by market capitalization are split 50/50 - the largest being HSBC in London
- 4 out of the 6 largest investment bank offerings firms are in New York although HSBC in London is the largest
- The New York stock exchange is 10 times larger than London by market cap but London trades more companies
- 3 out of the 5 largest interdealer brokers from both cities are in London including the top 2
- Of the $1.3 trillion dollars traded in forex in London and New York, 67% of that is in London
- roughly 104 million people pass through New York's airports each year compared with 121 million for London
- The West End in London has performed more theatre shows than Broadway - many of which open on Broadway after the West End although both are in a league of their own compared to anywhere else on the planet
- New York has many more skyscrapers due to tough planning regulations and opposition in London
- 4 out of the top 6 ranking universities in both cities as assessed by QS are in London including the top 2
- 4 out the 5 largest accountancy firms are London headquartered including the largest, Pricewaterhousecoopers
- 6 out of the top 10 restaurants in both cities as assessed by S.Pelligrino are in New York including the top 4
- GDSS this year voted Selfridges in London the worlds best department store, beating Bloomingdales
- 7 out of the 10 largest sporting arenas in both cities are in London including the largest Wembley stadium
- 3 out of the top 5 insurance firms are in London although AIG in New York is the largest

Loads of other stuff but I'm off up the pub - check out londonandnyc.com for more useless facts like the above!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:25 PM

^^ Cool info!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:01 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosnail View Post
It's interesting to see (predictably) so many people voting New York in this thread. I'm not sure if these stats are entirely relevant to the topic as this is a bit businessy but a few stats to put into the pot lifted from my blog -

- 4 out of the top 5 law firms in both cities are in London including the top 3
- 6 out the top 10 selling music acts of all time are from London including the top 2 (Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones)
- The top ten largest companies in both cities by market capitalization are split 50/50 - the largest being HSBC in London
- 4 out of the 6 largest investment bank offerings firms are in New York although HSBC in London is the largest
- The New York stock exchange is 10 times larger than London by market cap but London trades more companies
- 3 out of the 5 largest interdealer brokers from both cities are in London including the top 2
- Of the $1.3 trillion dollars traded in forex in London and New York, 67% of that is in London
- roughly 104 million people pass through New York's airports each year compared with 121 million for London
- The West End in London has performed more theatre shows than Broadway - many of which open on Broadway after the West End although both are in a league of their own compared to anywhere else on the planet
- New York has many more skyscrapers due to tough planning regulations and opposition in London
- 4 out of the top 6 ranking universities in both cities as assessed by QS are in London including the top 2
- 4 out the 5 largest accountancy firms are London headquartered including the largest, Pricewaterhousecoopers
- 6 out of the top 10 restaurants in both cities as assessed by S.Pelligrino are in New York including the top 4
- GDSS this year voted Selfridges in London the worlds best department store, beating Bloomingdales
- 7 out of the 10 largest sporting arenas in both cities are in London including the largest Wembley stadium
- 3 out of the top 5 insurance firms are in London although AIG in New York is the largest

Loads of other stuff but I'm off up the pub - check out londonandnyc.com for more useless facts like the above!
Really cool info, and I think alotta people aren't giving due credit to London either. I'm not saying it's number 1, just that people seem to vote down London pretty blindly. (Not thinking of anyone in particular, just saying in general)

But anyway, the sky scraper one seems a lil petty. New York also has way more sky scrapers cause Manhattan's on a tiny island and needed to build up, the cities just developed differently and have different needs. You don't need a hundred sky scrapers to make a good skyline anyway.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Really cool info, and I think alotta people aren't giving due credit to London either. I'm not saying it's number 1, just that people seem to vote down London pretty blindly. (Not thinking of anyone in particular, just saying in general)

But anyway, the sky scraper one seems a lil petty. New York also has way more sky scrapers cause Manhattan's on a tiny island and needed to build up, the cities just developed differently and have different needs. You don't need a hundred sky scrapers to make a good skyline anyway.
True...but I don't think you realize how ridiculous the NIMBYs are in London.

There was a legitimate campaign by a woman who was trying to get all skyscrapers in London deconstructed. How ridiculous is that?! They had a lot of support too if I remember correctly. A little bit on the insane side.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:59 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
NYC. Imo its not even close. The only reason London gets this kinds of ratings is because its in Europe, where everything urban is percieved to be superior to that of the Americas
lol i've noticed that. i'll take nyc though i'm of english descent so london's still cool.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:05 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
True...but I don't think you realize how ridiculous the NIMBYs are in London.

There was a legitimate campaign by a woman who was trying to get all skyscrapers in London deconstructed. How ridiculous is that?! They had a lot of support too if I remember correctly. A little bit on the insane side.
Lol, yeah that is pretty bad.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
In all truthness few places can beat the banks of the Thames in West London for charm.
Completely agree. I used to love taking a late night walk and looking at Parliament lit up across the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City