Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not sure if my is my computer but this link is bombing out on my pc
Try this How to Succeed In Retail Without Lifting a Shovel - Real Estate Bisnow (Philadelphia)

If it opens you can navigate from the top cursor where it writes 'Real estate Bisnow' under it are the list of cities that have a CRE/BNRE community and you can scroll through all recent real estate news/investments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Really? Wait I thought you said "tiny" office Market? As a metro the D.C. area is not so far ahead of Philly.

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island 1,210,387
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA 730,941
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI 508,712
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV 407,463
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX 363,201
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 356,615
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 335,563
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD 335,112
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH 298,256
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA 264,700
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 252,647 [LEFT]
Read more: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...#ixzz1oVEedAtf
[/LEFT]

As a city alone, I believe we are actually ahead of D.C.

Rank City/Urban area Country GDP in US$bn
1 Tokyo Japan 1191
2 New York USA 1133
3 Los Angeles USA 639
4 Chicago USA 460

5 Paris France 460
6 London UK 452
7 Osaka/Kobe Japan 341
8 Mexico City Mexico 315
9 Philadelphia USA 312
10 Washington DC USA 299
11 Boston USA 290
12 Dallas/Fort Worth USA 268

City Mayors: Richest cities in the world in 2020 by GDP

What are you talking about? I was talking about office space.

D.C. metro area has 453,964,000 square feet of office space in the metropolitan area.
Research

Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Well IMHO DC still has not gotten close to the point of diminishing returns in this regard.

Also like DC the vibrancy doesnt end at the CC borders

Will say agin though commercial expansion doesnt equal vibrancy and expansion without significantly increased density will only lessen the cohesion of density and require not only more people to live in the expanded area but als more to come and fill the expanded area. I actually disagree that it will increase the vibrance dramtically; though will likely add more liveable space albeit less vibrant overall; most will feel like Bethesda and not an urban core IMHO

I do like what is happening directly and around the current core of DC; that can be felt
Well, I'm glad I live in D.C. and I'm happy to see everything going on here. It doesn't really matter what you think and it also doesn't matter how Philadelphia compares to D.C. in the grand scheme of things. D.C. is a better city and region than Philly in my opinion so to each his own.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, I'm glad I live in D.C. and I'm happy to see everything going on here. It doesn't really matter what you think and it also doesn't matter how Philadelphia compares to D.C. in the grand scheme of things. D.C. is a better city and region than Philly in my opinion so to each his own.
Depneds on the criteria though I agree DC is very good area

DC has been booming for over a decade; that wont last forever but wont mean DC is a bad place.

I personally prefer Philly based on my time living in both but that is preference

Personally DC is among my favorites though and I only put NYC/Philly/Chicago/SF/Boston ahead though I have only personally lived in DC, NYC, SF, and Philly for context

LA is a wild card to me personally not sure whether I like DC or LA more

Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
I know there are 39.7 million square feet of office space in Center City alone (not including new construction or buildings planned/under construction).. idk about the entire metro however.

Center City District / Central Philadelphia Development Corporation Of Philadelphia

Obviously D.C. will have more office space. It is the Capitol of the U.S.... many government agencies fill your office space.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
I know there are 39.7 million square feet of office space in Center City alone (not including new construction or buildings planned/under construction).. idk about the entire metro however.

Center City District / Central Philadelphia Development Corporation Of Philadelphia

Obviously D.C. will have more office space. It is the Capitol of the U.S.... many government agencies fill your office space.
Downtown D.C. has 131 million square feet of office space. D.C. is about to surpass Chicago soon in Office Space. This comparison with Philly really is not even close.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Look, Philadelphia is not building any where near as much as D.C. Like KidPhilly said, D.C. is developing at an extreme rate and is really playing catch up in density. D.C. is gentrifying by redeveloping area's that burned during the Martin Luther King riots in the 1960's and the area's run down by crack and heroin. D.C. is trying to return to the days when it had a population of 800,000 and a density of 13,144. I'm definitely enjoying the ride! It won't happen over night but D.C. is getting a good start.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Depneds on the criteria though I agree DC is very good area

DC has been booming for over a decade; that wont last forever but wont mean DC is a bad place.

I personally prefer Philly based on my time living in both but that is preference

Personally DC is among my favorites though and I only put NYC/Philly/Chicago/SF/Boston ahead though I have only personally lived in DC, NYC, SF, and Philly for context

LA is a wild card to me personally not sure whether I like DC or LA more
No offense, but Philadelphia is pretty run down and depressed to be frank. It needs to be redeveloped with clean new buildings in my opinion. It's clear that it's an old industrial city. I'm not a fan of blue collar cities. That is one of the main reason's I am happy about the development in DC. The bars are coming off the windows and the crack heads are clearing out. The drive bye's are ending. You can walk around and feel safe in many area's now. It's a new day in D.C.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
No offense, but Philadelphia is pretty run down and depressed to be frank. It needs to be redeveloped with clean new buildings in my opinion. It's clear that it's an old industrial city. I'm not a fan of blue collar cities. That is one of the main reason's I am happy about the development in DC. The bars are coming off the windows and the crack heads are clearing out. The drive bye's are ending. You can walk around and feel safe in many area's now. It's a new day in D.C.
I was down there a couple weeks ago hanging out in Adams Morgan. It's definitely a bustling city. Maybe moreso than Philly is at night.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:04 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
DC has absolutely no industrial past, so has had much less to clean up. DC has pretty much no industrial now. DC is working with a clean slate, while Philly and Boston have hundreds of years of developement to work around, not only downtown but throughout the region. CC is jus so much more developed than DC's at least from a residential standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City