Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM

422 posts, read 815,722 times

Advertisements

Dude, they are on the borders. Come on man. Keep it real. I know this is a forum. I know these areas. I started to move to DC. However, the majority of the areas that I mentioned are high-crime environments. Not a knock on the city. Heck, I'm the person that said DC is at the very least #4 in influence. Don't get it twisted. I thought this was a downtown battle. DC's downtown doesn't tickle my fancy. Simply put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
War Zone? Capitol Hill, Senate and House offices are in NE and SE. Most of the rowhouses are nearly a million dollars. You don't know enough about DC to make a generalization. Large parts of NW DC are hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Slim DC kills Philly on things to do. It's that simple. Let's take a step away from the Monument and Libery Bell and dig a little deeper. Where in Philly can you see an actual Soviet ICMB? What about read every newspaper from around the world? Or learn about spy technology that the CIA and KGB employed during the Cold War. Or see the actual electric chair that killed some of our most craziest serial killers or murderers. The thing about DC is that it offers so many different things to do and see. DC has something for everybody.

You may be a FDA nerd and want to sit in on a hearing for the latest drug that combats sleeping disorders. Or take some time to trace your heritage and family tree. You can do that in DC. Or learn about Nazi propoganda during WW2. Philly is a great city but it really isnt on DC's level. DC has to many embassies and institutions that offer so many outlets for everyone.

Does Philly have a football team? Last time I checked they have never won a Super Bowl.
If people think DC is impressive now, just wait till all this stuff we are building is done! We are building multiple waterfronts, new museums, tons of highend upscale restaurants, downtown upscale shopping, new award winning urban parks, major improvements on our already world class transportation options (expansions to metro, streetcars, light rail, Capitol bike share expansions), extremely dense residential construction as far as the eye can see, and night life improvements that will rival some of the best spots in the nation. It's a wonderful day to be a resident in the DMV.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Slim DC kills Philly on things to do. It's that simple. Let's take a step away from the Monument and Libery Bell and dig a little deeper. Where in Philly can you see an actual Soviet ICMB? What about read every newspaper from around the world? Or learn about spy technology that the CIA and KGB employed during the Cold War. Or see the actual electric chair that killed some of our most craziest serial killers or murderers. The thing about DC is that it offers so many different things to do and see. DC has something for everybody.

You may be a FDA nerd and want to sit in on a hearing for the latest drug that combats sleeping disorders. Or take some time to trace your heritage and family tree. You can do that in DC. Or learn about Nazi propoganda during WW2. Philly is a great city but it really isnt on DC's level. DC has to many embassies and institutions that offer so many outlets for everyone.

Does Philly have a football team? Last time I checked they have never won a Super Bowl.

Seriously are you suggesting the only thing to do in Philly is see the Liberty Bell?

DC and Philly both excel in cultural offering; museums etc. In terms of theatre and fine arts might give the edge to Philly. There are unique things in all cities really. While the Smithsonian museums are fantastic there are things like the Mutter; Barnes, Constitution Center etc.

Also earlier you saud there are 900,000 people on the subay; false; the number of unique people on the subway any given day is less 500K and not all ever up in DT. Both have substantial daytime populations and both pretty good in nightime. The density of workers is actually higher in Philly believe it or not but less overall; There is also a significantly higher residential density (and will be significantly llarger and more dense after all the construction).

You reference China Town; first while in DC this is one of the more vibrant areas; the same doesnt go for Philly; not by any means the most vibrant area. One thing is for sure the Philly China town retains far more of the Chinesse culture than does DC; but what was the point of that comparison in the first place.

Once again you make statements that really dont make sense

Oh then the last call at 1:30 thing; actually no and many bars are open till 4 especially on the weekends. Lastly on that point DC bars are open 2 additional hours during the whole week in relative comparison; really this the delineator?

On ther FDA; interestingly enough many of the research on that drug in front of the FDA are taking place here. The college influence and community is vastly larger in Philly to boot

I like DC but this look at all the building is wonderful but not sure it makes it better or worse. It isnt yet adding the level of vibrancy and will see. DC has a bright future and will continue to get better but today still has some catching up to do

On your parking comment; supply/demand

Parking is more expensive in Philly in that regard and parking is much more readially found in DC quite honestly

But again all your points seem rather short sighted quite honestly. I am glad we have the liberty bell here though because what else would there be to do...

Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
They won plenty of championships before the superbowl was invented. And not every sports team can be kick as. We have one of the best baseball teams, hockey teams and Basketball teams. We also have kick ass soccer team. We had to let other cities be superior at at least one sport.

I would not say you have one of the best basketball teams either. That's a stretch.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:47 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Dude, they are on the borders. Come on man. Keep it real. I know this is a forum. I know these areas. I started to move to DC. However, the majority of the areas that I mentioned are high-crime environments. Not a knock on the city. Heck, I'm the person that said DC is at the very least #4 in influence. Don't get it twisted. I thought this was a downtown battle. DC's downtown doesn't tickle my fancy. Simply put.
What war zones are near DT DC? I'm just curious because DT DC is surrounded by near million dollar neighborhoods to the west, north and east. On the south, it borders the National Mall.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
If people think DC is impressive now, just wait till all this stuff we are building is done! We are building multiple waterfronts, new museums, tons of highend upscale restaurants, downtown upscale shopping, new award winning urban parks, major improvements on our already world class transportation options (expansions to metro, streetcars, light rail, Capitol bike share expansions), extremely dense residential construction as far as the eye can see, and night life improvements that will rival some of the best spots in the nation. It's a wonderful day to be a resident in the DMV.
What is so different here? What is different then what DC is DOING and what other cities in the entire US have already DONE. Philly has already completed 90% of these things and its also in the process of building "multiple waterfronts." While DC is trying to catch up to Philly, Philly is improving what is already done, and what DC hasn't even attempted to do yet. Philly is light years ahead of DC in almost every aspect.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
I would not say you have one of the best basketball teams either. That's a stretch.
Clearly you haven't been following Basketball this year.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
The Nationals have never won a World Series, nor did the Senators in the 11 years before they became the Texas Rangers. The Capitals have never won the Stanley Cup. The Wizards have one NBA championship, but that was back in 1978 when they were known as the Bullets. The Redskins have a few Super Bowl championships, but we just celebrated the 20th anniversary of their most recent one back in January. They've been largely irrelevant since. In fact, these days they make more noise in March and April than they do in January.

By the way, major professional sports teams in Washington DC have won four championships since 1960. In Philadelphia they've won seven.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:10 AM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Philly by far. D.C. is pathetically boring, it's density is half of San Francisco's.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
What is so different here? What is different then what DC is DOING and what other cities in the entire US have already DONE. Philly has already completed 90% of these things and its also in the process of building "multiple waterfronts." While DC is trying to catch up to Philly, Philly is improving what is already done, and what DC hasn't even attempted to do yet. Philly is light years ahead of DC in almost every aspect.
Lets be clear here! Philadelphia is dirty and poor compared to DC. The people look rough and the city looks rough. Philadelphia is not a white collar city, it is a blue collar city. Miles and miles of broke people and cheap housing. Philadelphia is not on anybody's radar. It's widely known that it is a poor blue collar city. People are not rushing to be in Philadlphia. It's dirty! If Philadelphia has built 90% of what DC is building already and still looks like a run down slum, then you wasted a whole bunch of money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City