Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:26 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Yeah kiddo..you're mos def in your feelings..you and your pal. But I think i may have a solution..take a break from the internet..breathe..and then go out in enjoy DC and all of its glory..somebody has to right? and hey its still daytime so if your hurry you may be able to catch the DT vibrancy?
Yes we will, that is what all the wealthy black people do in DC. Unfortunately for Philly, Black people don't have wealth and prestige compared to DC. I think a poster mentioned that before. It's the main reason black people praise DC so much. It's made for us and we love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 03:31 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
DT DC has the most construction of the three but it needs the most help by far to make its dt near the level of Boston or Philadelphia. Even architecturally its new construction is sterile and bland and all the same one or two colors. Office workers and subway commuters it has but after that it's still not up to par with the other two no matter how many cranes you see.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:36 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yes we will, that is what all the wealthy black people do in DC. Unfortunately for Philly, Black people don't have wealth and prestige compared to DC. I think a poster mentioned that before. It's the main reason black people praise DC so much. It's made for us and we love it!
LMAO!! I. AM. DONE! You DC guys are...I dont even know a word to describe it...pathetic would be putting it nicely...but even that's not strong enough. You two and your emotions...

Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I agree. It bugs me because I used to live in DC and really do love the city. I don't know why a handful of the DC posters on this forum really have a major chip on their shoulder. In terms of all-round activity, DC isn't on par with Boston or Philadelphia. Spare me the, "but DC has x amount of square footage and x number of people during the day!" rant. I've lived it. I am down there at LEAST twice per year. Great city, but the downtown p*ssing contest on this particular forum is off-putting. I hope people on this forum who haven't been to DC don't think this is what all DC residents are like.

So, let me get this straight

DC posters say:

center city is very vibrant and will probably always have more people walking on the street consistently but it covers such a small area which is the reason it has more density. DC posters then say DC is improving though and we are building a lot of projects which will improve the city.

Philly posters say:

Those buildings are sterile.
DC is sterile.
DC is this and DC is that.

DC posters get offended and call a spade a spade:

Highlighting the fact Philadelphia has about 40,000 vacant houses
Philadelphia is broke compared to DC
Philadelphia is dirty

Analysis:

This is somehow our fault for defending ourselves? You need to wake up sir!

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-08-2012 at 03:55 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
LMAO!! I. AM. DONE! You DC guys are...I dont even know a word to describe it...pathetic would be putting it nicely...but even that's not strong enough. You two and your emotions...
It's not their fault, their cities main industry is Lieing , I believe some call it politics, afterall.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
So, let me get this straight

DC posters say:

center city is very vibrant and will probably always have more people walking on the street consistently but it covers such a small area which is the reason it has more density. DC posters then say DC is improving though and we are building a lot of projects which will improve the city.

Philly posters say:

Those buildings are sterile.
DC is sterile.
DC is this and DC is that.

DC posters get offended and call a spade a spade:

Highlighting the fact Philadelphia has about 40,000 vacant houses
Philadelphia is broke compared to DC
Philadelphia is dirty

Analysis:

This is somehow out fault for defending ourselves? You need to wake up sir!
That is false first of all... I wouldn't mind if you two weren't so hysterical and spitting out facts that have no bearing anywhere close to truth. First of all that number is the amount of vacant buildings (homes,industrial, factories, manufacturing plants, old projects that are no longer used) AND vacant land (vacant lots and parking lots). That is not JUST homes. We have a 4% vacancy rate in residential units in Center City...

Second we are not broke at all... we are actually doing very very well.. our school district is broke, but the city is not. The city weathered the recession very well and is still doing well.

Third, Philly is no longer dirty... sure it has some dirty slums, but Center City is cleaner than Manhattan... unless you are calling Manhattan dirty too. You have no idea what you are talking about and because you are losing this pole you cling to the old philly is crime ridden and philly is dirty stereotype that was true in the 70's and 80's, but is no longer true today.

It's 2012, I don't think you understand that. Philadelphia has been taking great strides since the 90's to pull itself out of the whole it was in in the 70's and 80's. DC is just starting to pull itself out of that same whole.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
You didn't dispute it either. Why? Because what I said is true. Why do you think black people flock to DC and Atlanta? For us, it's the land of opportunity, that's why.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:00 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
You didn't dispute it either. Why? Because what I said is true. Why do you think black people flock to DC and Atlanta? For us, it's the land of opportunity, that's why.
Where ethnic groups succeed has nothing to do with the city... at all. It's funny that you mention DC as a "black" city when you have actually been losing flocks of blacks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...JQB_story.html

"DC" is the land of opportunity for black blah blah blah, but they're being priced out of the city?! Yeah that makes sense....

the land of opportunity for blacks is reserved for Atlanta.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It's not their fault, their cities main industry is Lieing , I believe some call it politics, afterall.
exactly.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
That is false first of all... I wouldn't mind if you two weren't so hysterical and spitting out facts that have no bearing anywhere close to truth. First of all that number is the amount of vacant buildings (homes,industrial, factories, manufacturing plants, old projects that are no longer used) AND vacant land (vacant lots and parking lots). That is not JUST homes. We have a 4% vacancy rate in residential units in Center City...

Second we are not broke at all... we are actually doing very very well.. our school district is broke, but the city is not. The city weathered the recession very well and is still doing well.

Third, Philly is no longer dirty... sure it has some dirty slums, but Center City is cleaner than Manhattan... unless you are calling Manhattan dirty too. You have no idea what you are talking about and because you are losing this pole you cling to the old philly is crime ridden and philly is dirty stereotype that was true in the 70's and 80's, but is no longer true today.

It's 2012, I don't think you understand that. Philadelphia has been taking great strides since the 90's to pull itself out of the whole it was in in the 70's and 80's. DC is just starting to pull itself out of that same whole.
Hey sherlock, you are the reason we are even in this debate. Yes, You! I said from the beginning center city was more vibrant than DC. Infact, I haven't really mentioned center city at all in this thread. I just posted projects going on in DC that are improving our city. Go back and read. When KidPhilly and yourself started attacking DC is when I shined a light on your city. I have a lot of family in Philly so I try not to shine a light on what Philly is really like for many of its residents. But, when you start attacking DC for no reason, that is when I feel it's neccesary to give you all a reality check. Center City is a very tiny part of Philadelphia and its not a good representation of most of the city unlike the DC core which is most of the city. What I said is no different than what many people experience living in areas outside of that tiny dot center city in relation to 90% of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City