Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A city is what it is. DC has its own unique function apart from other cities.

Presidential inauguration:

With all due respect...what's the point of showing festivals on the National Mall and the presidential inauguration? How are those representative of daily life in downtown DC? That's the equivalent of me showing one of the two Red Sox championship parades, one of the three Patriots parades or the Celtics parade...it's not happening all that often...well maybe in Boston it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Boston and Philly are bar cities! They are not on DC's level when it comes to posh clubs and nightlife.
A few quick things:

1. Do you have any proof whatsoever saying there are more nightclubs in downtown Washington DC than in Downtown Boston or Center City Philadelphia?

2. Boston and Philadelphia do indeed have a ton of bars. That's what there is a demand for in those cities, so there are tons of bars in/around downtown.

3. How does Boston and Philly having a ton of bars work as a detriment to nightlife? I can understand DC getting points because bars/clubs are open later...but you keep saying there are "more posh clubs" in downtown DC (which you haven't proven) and then instantly equate that to a better nightlife...that's simply not true.

Quote:
They do not have more restaurants DT than DC. Especially Philly. DC is creeping up on Chicago for the most DT office space behind NYC. Everything else is subjective. Plus their DT areas are so tiny. I walked through CC in 20 minutes.
I don't understand why you continue to act as if having such a large footprint for your downtown is a good thing when your residential population is dwarfed by the two cities you're comparing yourself to. You're trying to make a point about vibrancy in downtown DC...but then bring up the fact that you have a massive amount of office space over a great amount of land. No one is denying that DC has more office space than both cities or a considerably larger footprint...but you need to accept that it results in a less-vibrant downtown. Both Boston and Philadelphia have downtown residential populations topping 80,000 people in very small areas. I believe DC has something in the area of 40,000 over a much larger area.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 11-23-2010 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,396 times
There is something about downtown DC that makes it somewhat more generic than the other two.

Maybe it's all the office space, or the government bureaucrat types, or the fact that the buildings all look the same.

Downtown DC is pretty nice, but doesn't have a super-interesting streetscape, IMO. It isn't really fun to stroll around and explore.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Like I said earlier DT DC has more office space than Boston and Philly, more restaurants, more clubs, more transportation options, more park space, more museums and cultural attractions and a higher daytime population. Almost 400,000 file into DT DC on any given week day.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Actually, let me give DC the credit it deserves. It does have a few things that are similar to Reading Terminal. Let's see...

Union Station: There's Pizzareia Uno (much more original than Termini's in Reading Terminal), Johnny Rockets (one of a kind, I'm sure), Sbarro (much better than anything in Philly), Subway (better than Philly's hoagie shops), Great Steak & Fry Co. (their Philly cheeseteaks have no peer), Taco Bell, Chipotle, Au Bon Pain, Corner Bakery, Auntie Annie's, and coming soon, Bojangles Chicken.

Shops @ National Place: Quizno's, Five Guys, SoHo, Smoothie Shop, Terrible Kabab Place, ?

Reagan Food Court: Sbarro, Subway, Smoothie King, ?

Yeah...looks like DC tramples all over Philly.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:57 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times
All three are great and "Real" downtowns.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM

63 posts, read 355,028 times
Once the city center project is completed in Downtown DC it'll get a lot more liver at night. The convention center hotel is now under construction as well. Like I said before theres so many developments in downtown DC and other parts of the area, including another subway line. 2013 is gonna mark a new era for the DC area.

New bars and lounges are opening practically every week/month in the city.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
With all due respect...what's the point of showing festivals on the National Mall and the presidential inauguration? How are those representative of daily life in downtown DC? That's the equivalent of me showing one of the two Red Sox championship parades, one of the three Patriots parades or the Celtics parade...it's not happening all that often...well maybe in Boston it is
Well, I would say that a presidential inauguration or historic march has greater national and global significance than a sports game.

But anyway, I'm trying to show that what DC may lack in its downtown street and nightlife scene it makes up for in many other unique ways that you won't find in other U.S. cities. I think it's narrow to say that a city is "dead" because its downtown isn't as happening as it could be. In order to appreciate a city more obectively, you have to look at all its qualities. At least, that's the way I approach it.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-23-2010 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 10:12 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
How about this for ya DC's Finest?

Two of DC's most popular sandwich shops, Ben's Chili Bowl and Taylor's, were popularized by Philadelphians. Ben's still keeps a picture of Bill Cosby on its wall to keep the tourists rolling in. And two douchebags who call themselves "Philadelphians" are convincing gullible DC yuppies that they're eating authentic hoagies. They name sandwiches things like "the Schuykill Expressway," "the Philadelphia Landfill," and "the Fairmount Park." C'mon, man. Why is DC jocking us so hard? You'll never see a sandwich in Philly named "the Dupont Circle" or "the Meridian Hill Park." And DC is supposed to be a better food city?? Please.

Taylor Gourmet

I especially like this part.

Taylor's bread comes from Sarcone's Bakery, Philadelphia's premier Italian breadmaker...

Schlubs.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah right. Philly has DC beat backwards, forwards, upside down and everything else when it comes to food. Chic restaurants, authentic local food, whatever. And DC has no equivalent of Reading Terminal or the North End. DC is not a food town.
C'mon BajanYankee. DC ranks among the top 10 U.S. cities when it comes to fine dining restaurants.

Forbes Travel Guide: 2010 Four-Star Hotel, Restaurant and Spa Award Winners

Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
^^^^^ Your pics are fine. Banjan was comparing Boston Commons with McPherson Square of all places. So the Mall is fairplay. Plus DC has a DT arena that throws throngs of people onto the street before and after basketball and hockey games. Philly's arena might as well be in NJ.

TMAC,

Do you really believe Boston has better nightlife than DC? Come on dude. It's no contest. Even Philly. There use to be a bus from Philly to DC every friday evening that dropped people off at Love/Dream night club in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City