Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown?
Philadelphia 120 45.28%
Boston 99 37.36%
DC 46 17.36%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Spoken from the mouth of a Philly bols!

Actually I am pretty sure Bajan has on many occasions said his knowledge of the Philly DT is more limited. But agree in that DC is more expensive overall. I have lived in both DTs and in this regard (Menaing DTs which is the premis of this thread) they pretty comparable in realtion to residential housing costs.

It is also more expensive to park in DT Philly compared to DT DC; which makes sense as based on my experience in both it is far easier to find parking in DT DC when compared to Philly's DT; thus supply/demamd

Just as there is a higher demand for commercial property in DC and thus garners a much higher price point in this comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 11:09 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I get kick out out of this dude, has a little Montclair in him. Probably living in mom's basement trumpeting the virtues of a higher cost of living. When did a " Higher Cost of Living" become a Good thing ?

The reason SF,NY,Bostons cost of living is higher than Philly is due to the fact that they are coastal cities, 50% of their available real estate is underwater. SF accentuated even further due to its uninhabitable lunar landscape to its west. DC's cost of living is an anomally due to the feds handing out billion dollar contracts in its region.

I'll never understand the badge of honor that goes along with paying $800K in city X for the same house that can be bought in city Y for $400K, especially when the amenities in city Y are equal to or surpass city X .
So, I just wanted to highlight your ignorance and spotlight the lack of reading comprehension you seem to consistently lack.

Exhibit A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You're grossly misinterpreting reality here. No offense, but DC is really one of the last cities that should be critiquing other cities about their affordable housing. Two points in response to your previous posts:

1. The "law" you refer to in DC pertaining to a minimum amount of affordable housing actually only requires 8-10 percent (not 20 percent as you initially claimed) of units set aside for "moderate-to-low income" individuals, or up to 80 percent of AMI. This means that a developer could set aside all of their supposedly "affordable housing" units to families of 4 making an income of 70K a year -- not exactly a demographic of particularly low means. This rule also can be exempted depending on zoning district. In other words, this rule doesn't really do a whole lot to serve the truly struggling demographic of people who cannot afford quality housing.

2. The impetus for creating more affordable housing is far more necessary in DC than Philly. You said it yourself that these cities are two different animals, and you're exactly right. There is far more quality, affordable housing currently existing in Philly than DC without the need to create an "affordable housing" mandate for new large developments. This is because Philly seems to have stronger up-front constituent involved planning that works to preserve the existing affordable housing stock.

Now, I know you struggle with the notion of people's responses actually having context and possibly relating to previously stated notions, but that is what my response was doing. Obviously, you can't seem to understand that while reading a response, it's probably imperative to read the original response the poster in question is responding to.

So, in response to Duderino, I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Actually, Philadelphia has a lower cost of living because of the lack of demand. Cost of living is defined by the consumer. Demand is what drives it. New York, Washington D.C., Boston, and San Francisco are expensive metro area's for a reason. These cities also happen to have the most educated population in the nation. There is a distinct correlation. Most developments in D.C. choose to include 20% in low income housing. If you haven't noticed, this ground breaking policy has not even put a dent in stopping multi-family housing in D.C. It has actually just preceded the biggest building boom in D.C. since the 1940's. Developers are flocking to D.C. from all over the world to build new housing here and 2013 is going to be even bigger year which is just mind boggling. This law has not stopped any developers from wanting to spend money in D.C.

Philadelphia reminds me of an urban Atlanta in that the city is overbuilt from a population vs. housing inventory. The one thing that is common between D.C., NYC, Boston, and San Francisco is that there is a lack of land which is why these cities have to build up. It makes land more valuable. A good comparison would be to measure the vacant housing data for Philadelphia versus D.C.

So, now that this sequence is back in context. Who said anything about high cost of living being a good thing? Sounds like you are alone out on that limb. Analysis of something and bragging about something are two different things. Try to slow down next time.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Spoken from the mouth of a Philly bols!
You mean a "bull."

Yes, DT DC is more expensive than CC. Why is that a good thing? And what does that have to do with which city has the better downtown?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Downtown DC has to be one of the most soul-sucking places on earth. It probably comes in a close second to the Department of Motor Vehicles. The typical street scene could easily be confused with a scene from the Matrix. I spent many days at my desk waiting for that call from Morpheus.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
SF accentuated even further due to its uninhabitable lunar landscape to its west.
The Pacific Ocean? Or did you mean the uninhabitable lunar landscape to the OTHER west, encompassing the SF Bay, East Bay, and the California Delta from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite? THAT lunar landscape?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
How is DC land restricted?
Heights of Buildings Act of 1910 is how D.C. land is restricted. We can only build housing to a certain height which causes demand to soar.

Quote:
The COL in DT Philly is higher than anything in DC.
Center City Philadelphia is a tiny little neighborhood in relation to a whole city. There are neighborhoods in many cities that are expensive. Have you ever seen prices in neighborhoods in Beverly Hills CA. Cost of living is only relevant to a city as a whole.

Quote:
DT Philly is also more educated than DC.
Center City Philadelphia is a tiny little neighborhood in relation to a whole city. There are neighborhoods in many cities that are extremely educated. Have you ever been to any neighborhoods in Chapel Hill NC? Education is only relative to a city as a whole.

Quote:
DT Philly is also growing faster than DC. etc. etc. etc. where are you getting your info, the housing surplus is only in slums.
The tiny little bit of growth Center City is seeing is a drop in the bucket compared to the growth D.C. proper is seeing. Maybe if the city of Philadelphia stopped bleeding from everywhere except Center City, your population would see major increases.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:42 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
H Cost of living is only relevant to a city as a whole.

I agree with everything you said, except for this point. I would argue COL is only relevant at neighborhood level. A statistic might show you the average rent in New York Citu is $1,500 a month for a 1 bedroom, but if I want to move to the West Village, all $1,500 gets you is a poke in the eye. Just like COL is higher for somebody living in Georgetown than Petworth.Things like Cost of Living, Transportation, Shopping, Restaurants are more relevant at the neighborhood level.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Downtown DC has to be one of the most soul-sucking places on earth. It probably comes in a close second to the Department of Motor Vehicles. The typical street scene could easily be confused with a scene from the Matrix. I spent many days at my desk waiting for that call from Morpheus.
What made you leave DC?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I agree with everything you said, except for this point. I would argue COL is only relevant at neighborhood level. A statistic might show you the average rent in New York Citu is $1,500 a month for a 1 bedroom, but if I want to move to the West Village, all $1,500 gets you is a poke in the eye. Just like COL is higher for somebody living in Georgetown than Petworth.Things like Cost of Living, Transportation, Shopping, Restaurants are more relevant at the neighborhood level.
That actually strengthens my point though.

Tom says:

"New York is so expensive"

Brian says:

"I only pay $1,200 for my apartment in the Bronx"

Tom says:

"O, so your saying I can get an apartment in New York City for resonable rent as long as I'm flexiible on location"

Brian says:

"Yes, that's right"

You see, D.C. has a ton of affordable housing across the river just like New York has affordable housing in other boroughs. Most white people in D.C. aren't comfortable in all black neighborhoods across the river in Southeast D.C., but some are actually. The gentrification taking place across the river has a few white professionals, but most are black professionals. Cost of living is dictated by the consumer and there are area's with affordable housing in any city. The question is, how many area's have affordable housing and in places like NYC and D.C., there aren't many unlike Philadelphia which has way more affordable housing than NYC or D.C.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
But isnt this thread about DTs?

Right?

Ok so great the SE has affordable housing and also dumps like North Philly (both have both actually and has been established in this thread)

DC is superhuman and obviously there is nothing here that MD could like. I actually feel the opposite about DC and quite like the city; though on DTs I do see a difference but believe both are very good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City