Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better place to raise a family?
Orlando 13 30.95%
Charlotte 29 69.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:50 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times

Advertisements

There will always be trolls to ruin internet threads. The reason conversations in person don't deteriorate like they do here is because these miserable trolls don't have the cajones to say what they think in public. With that being said, I bet Dailyjournalist got along fine with people in Florida when he lived here, if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:28 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Thx for the replies, although just a couple really had to do with my question... it happens, I know, I do it too. But can you look back to my original post (post # 1) and let me know what you think?

Thanks...

It has a lot to do with crime, road rage worries me, gangs, schools, etc... advantage Orlando or Charlotte in your opinion? Driving in Orlando worries me due to the idiots... maybe Charlotte has the same problem? Havent been there in a few yrs...

Old 11-22-2010, 06:37 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm curious, those who have lived in one or the other, or perhaps both, which city / area would you choose to live in with your family? I'm thinking schools, crime, dangerous drivers, gangs, etc, as my worries... As my kids get older, I know living in Orlando (terrible drivers) make me nervous.

Thank for input!
Back to the OP which asked about the following:

Schools: Either city you choose is big enough that you'll be able to find an area with some of the most highly ranked Elementary, Middle, and High Schools in the state. You already know those areas in Orlando, hit up the Charlotte forum to get info on specific areas there that would work.

Crime: Metro to metro will not be a noticeable difference. In either city you can find a safe enough area for a decent price. I think the two metros rank within 10 spots of each other for crime but I'm sure Orlando's numbers will have to be redone since the city proper crime dropped like 30 places.

Dangerous Drivers: No comment. Probably worse in Orlando but not that bad IMO.

Gangs: I've never seen Orlando on Gangland but I have Charlotte so I'd say you'd be safer down here.

Overall I like Charlotte and it might be a good fit for you. I lived about 55 minutes from DT Charlotte and it was just okay any time we went down there. The COL is slightly better there and it has 4 seasons which might be a deciding factor for you. I'd never go back to living in the piedmont south (exception being Atlanta), but that's because I'd miss all of what Orlando has that Charlotte does not like: lakes/wakeboard culture, beaches nearby, theme parks (emphasis on the "S"), better downtown, etc.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Orlando--so much more to do than Charlotte, unless you want to go to the Nascar museum...lol...

Old 11-22-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Orlando--so much more to do than Charlotte, unless you want to go to the Nascar museum...lol...
Hey now, Atlanta fought pretty hard for that one! Plus Orlando is trying to get it's own fantastic new cultural attraction:Orlando Wants To Host WWE Hall of Fame --FanHouse

Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 PM

That is one venue I am glad Atlanta lost....

Old 11-22-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Crime: Metro to metro will not be a noticeable difference. In either city you can find a safe enough area for a decent price. I think the two metros rank within 10 spots of each other for crime but I'm sure Orlando's numbers will have to be redone since the city proper crime dropped like 30 places.
I always like to self-correct if possible and yeah I was wrong. Metro Orlando is ranked 59th for crime while metro Charlotte is 87th.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Why is it that everytime Charlotte is compared to another city here on city-data all of the Charlotte haters from Atlanta( exception Ahkenaton) post why the other city is better and how Charlotte lacks and there are only like two comments from us Charlotteans and like two comments from residents of the other city?

FYI- Charlotte is winning the poll

Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Gangs: I've never seen Orlando on Gangland but I have Charlotte so I'd say you'd be safer down here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOmZ3q7l4E4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APBDrjSjO0U

Old 11-23-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Why is it that everytime Charlotte is compared to another city here on city-data all of the Charlotte haters from Atlanta( exception Ahkenaton) post why the other city is better and how Charlotte lacks and there are only like two comments from us Charlotteans and like two comments from residents of the other city?

FYI- Charlotte is winning the poll
Because most of you are from Charlotte, very biased on these polls. Very few FL reps. Charlotte is DULL, (PERIOD).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City