Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city provides the best/most opportunities for urban living?
Houston 63 37.28%
Dallas 54 31.95%
Fort Worth 5 2.96%
Austin 26 15.38%
San Antonio 18 10.65%
El Paso 3 1.78%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:00 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
oh cool. Where is Paul. I still can't believe he though Houston's UA was still around 3.8. after gaining a million people.

I am also interested in Miami and SF.

Oh and Dallas- Fort Worth too because it is supposed to be right on Philly's tail
Is that to say that Houston is more urban than San Francisco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 AM

381 posts, read 861,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
San Francisco is more urban and part of a more populous urban area than anywhere in Texas. The Bay Area has 7.2 million people in a much smaller and more compact area than either the Metroplex or the Houston Urban Area. Don't let the arbitrary census division (for metro area) halfway between San Francisco and San Jose fool you. Most of the cities between SF and SJ are significantly denser than Houston or Dallas proper.

Great discussion, by the way. The google map links are great - all cities seem to have sections that are somewhat urban.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 AM

Since we're talking about urban Texas cities I thought I'd share this link. This is off of the city Austin's downtown redevelopment site. It might take awhile to load but it's worth it, I think.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAustinPlan/dap_final_report_11-15-10.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-02-2010, 09:15 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:

Austin has built (and this is just off the top of my head) the Austonian, the W, Four Seasons, the Monarch, 360, the Shore, Barton Place, Ashton, Amli I, Amli II, Spring, and dozens of others I can't think of right now. All in about less than 6 years. On top of that there's still more coming.... Ovation, the Greenwater Treatment Plant which contains a 700' building, a 500' building and two other highrises, T. Stacy (830'), 7rio, 21c etc. etc. etc.
that is what I said, read back my post, I mentioned I would be excited too if almost all of the top tallest were recently built. we have not had a supertall in over 20 years

Old 12-02-2010, 09:20 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I wish San Antonio had some of Houston's ultra modern stuff but to much red tape for stuff like that to be built here. The suburbs not really, thats why a lot of the F-500 and big business builds outside the city core. It sucks but it is what it is.

I dunno I kinda like the SA skyline like it is with the Tower Of Americas as the tallest but on the other hand it would be cool if there were more taller highrises DT

Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
can you even read? I am comparing SF to Philly, why does everyone think it is Houston.

let me talk slower so you can understand, T.H.E.....B.A.Y...W.A.S...R.I.G.H.T...O.N....P.H.I .L.L.Y'S....T.A.I.L

I don.t understand why people always seem to add Houston to where it isn't added. You don't know what Danny and I are talking about so don't jump in. We are not even talking about more Urban, we are talking about urban population, and matter of fact Houston does have a larger urban pop than SF. Stop hating on Houston without knowing what Danny and I are talking about

Old 12-02-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
I dunno I kinda like the SA skyline like it is with the Tower Of Americas as the tallest but on the other hand it would be cool if there were more taller highrises DT
SA does have some interesting older buildings, it would look better if there was more of them and there wasn't so much space in between.

I am actually not a fan of those observation towers. Don't like the Space Needle, don't like TOA, don't like the stratosphere. The only one I appreciate is the CN tower because that thing is beyond massive and it is hard not to appreciate.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:09 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
I will post some photos showing urban San Antonio.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 12-02-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
You will be very dissapointed. If you go bring your pick up (the one with the shotgun in the back window) and your dog so you will fit in. You do speak spanish right?

Isn't Fort Worth part of Metro Dallas?
You can't be serious. You must have Austin confused with Liberty Hill.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
can you even read? I am comparing SF to Philly, why does everyone think it is Houston.

let me talk slower so you can understand, T.H.E.....B.A.Y...W.A.S...R.I.G.H.T...O.N....P.H.I .L.L.Y'S....T.A.I.L

I don.t understand why people always seem to add Houston to where it isn't added. You don't know what Danny and I are talking about so don't jump in. We are not even talking about more Urban, we are talking about urban population, and matter of fact Houston does have a larger urban pop than SF. Stop hating on Houston without knowing what Danny and I are talking about
can you handle a simple question? the post sounded a little winding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City