Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread. Thanks to someone repping me for a post I made on this thread in 2010, I reread what I had originally written. At that time I said I would take my chances with the mosquitoes rather than spraying my family down with chemicals.

Well, I have had a complete change of mind and heart on that one. Since that post in 2010, I have watched a relative (about my age) suffer horribly with West Nile Virus. While she did not die, thank God, she has irreversible medical problems from it. Even after leaving the hospital, she had to quit her job, and has spent months in physical therapy just to be able to function in a somewhat normal life. She contracted it about a year ago, and just 2 weeks ago was able to start a new job, and even though she just sits at a desk most of the day, it is all she can do to make it through each day. After watching her suffer so, I''ll take my chances with the chemicals.

Also, while Texas is horrible, the worst mosquitoes I've ever seen were in Alaska. Not as big as the ones in Texas, but there were just so many of them swarming everywhere we went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMagurt View Post
This and it isn't even close in the lower 48. Fairbanks could be worse. As far as major cities, it's definitely Minneapolis. Go into places like Ely and the sky is dark with clouds of them at dusk during summer, it's surreal.

On the bright side, at least we're not in Winnipeg.
Fairbanks, AK where the mosquito is known as the state bird. Well, it was known as such amongst military personnel.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Fairbanks, AK where the mosquito is known as the state bird. Well, it was known as such amongst military personnel.
In Minnesota the joke has always been that the mosquito is the state bird.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
In Minnesota the joke has always been that the mosquito is the state bird.
The mosquito problem must indeed be bad!

Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,667 times
In Houston before the Astrodome was built the ushers use to walk up and down the aisles asking people if the needed insect repellent.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 PM

651 posts, read 862,500 times
I was in fort worth all summer last year and didn't notice many mosquito's. Minnesota/WI kills TX IMO. When I was in Alaska (anchorage) I didn't notice many in July.

Minnesota is rediculous. I almost fell off my dirt bike getting hit in the mouth/throat by flying bugs. There are parts where it rains a lot and is swampy, its down right nasty and one of the reasons I left Minnesota.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I was in fort worth all summer last year and didn't notice many mosquito's. Minnesota/WI kills TX IMO. When I was in Alaska (anchorage) I didn't notice many in July.

Minnesota is rediculous. I almost fell off my dirt bike getting hit in the mouth/throat by flying bugs. There are parts where it rains a lot and is swampy, its down right nasty and one of the reasons I left Minnesota.
They have plenty, but the city does spray. That's where my relative contracted West Nile virus.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:01 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Any place that has high humidity will have this problem.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:02 PM

74 posts, read 119,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmphillips004 View Post
What about The Bayou? Would it make it bad in the areas of the swamps down in Louisiana?
Louisiana has a pretty severe mosquito problem. According to the Terminix website it is #3 under Texas and Florida is #1. So I'm trying to wrap my head around the problems severity in MN being as it didn't make the list. Not that I'm saying it isn't true.....here in Louisiana we have the horrible problem due to extreme humidity year round and the rivers, lakes, and swamp land. Which I get is the same for MN.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:22 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Native Minnesotans tend to exaggerate its' negatives. The mosquitos are a noticeable presence but they aren't really that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City