Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
that street was mentioned numerous times in this thread.

Have you seen what Yonge street is now?
I apologize for not sifting through the first 14 pages, please forgive me. And what is Yonge street now? A highway? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I apologize for not sifting through the first 14 pages, please forgive me. And what is Yonge street now? A highway? No.
It is fragmented and the claim of longest in the world was under the assumption that Highway 11 was part of Yonge Street.

the rest of the article you cited:

Quote:
Yonge Street as the "Longest Street in the World"

Yonge Street was formerly a part of Highway 11, which led to claims that Yonge Street was the longest street in the world. Running from the shores of Lake Ontario, through central and northern Ontario to the Ontario-Minnesota border at Rainy River, together they were over 1,896 kilometres (1,178 mi) long. But Yonge Street could only be called the longest street in the world if "Highway 11" and "Yonge Street" were synonymous, which is not the case.
The original Yonge Street continues along its original alignment, ending in Holland Landing. This alignment was extended over the years, and today ends just south of Lake Simcoe. The original extension running from Holland Landing from Bradford was named for the towns, known as Bradford Street in Holland Landing, and Holland Landing Road in Bradford. The latter was later extended as a bypass was added, curving off the original alignment. A second bypass was later constructed, bypassing the entirety of Holland Landing Road and joining Bradford at Bridge Street. Likewise, the road between Bradford and Barrie is known as Barrie Street in Bradford and Bradford Street in Barrie. Lengthy portions of this alignment have been referred to as Yonge Street with the arrival of Highway 11. No segment of the highway anywhere north of Barrie ever actually bore the Yonge Street name. However, the Guinness Book of World Records recognized this claim as late as 1998.
Changes in provincial responsibility separated the now locally-funded and controlled Yonge Street from Highway 11 during the 1990s. As a result, Highway 11 does not start until Crown Hill just outside of Barrie, several kilometres north of where the name "Yonge Street" ends. The Guinness Book of World Records no longer lists Yonge as the longest street in the world, citing instead the Pan-American Highway as the world's longest "motorable road".
Although current tourist campaigns do not make much of Yonge Street's length, its status as an urban myth is bolstered by an art installation at the foot of Yonge Street and a map of its length laid out into the sidewalk in bronze at the southwest corner of Yonge and Dundas.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I haven't read the entire thread but has anybody mentioned El Camino Real? It runs from Santa Clara to the border of Colma/Daly City continuously without turning into a freeway. It's about 40 miles long.
It's not a freeway but it is designated as a state highway. California State Route 82 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-03-2011, 11:17 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
no it has to be a city, metro road like this:
Westheimer

no State Roads.
That's Post Oak bro.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
That's Post Oak bro.
Check out Clay Rd

Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM

309 posts, read 307,727 times
The combination of 95th Street & Colbern Road run over 36 miles across south suburban Kansas city in both Missouri and Kansas.

The portion of Bannister Road on the Missouri side, despite the signage, is still referred to by locals as "95th Street." 2-3 names, one continuous road from western Lenexa, KS, to the periphery of Blue Springs, MO.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8,0.88028&z=10

Old 02-03-2011, 04:22 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Check out Clay Rd
I was meaning the picture you quoted. And yeah, Clay Road is long. Tanner/Tidwell is another long one.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I was meaning the picture you quoted. And yeah, Clay Road is long. Tanner/Tidwell is another long one.
i didn't realize Clay was so long. 38 Miles

Old 02-04-2011, 01:06 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Why was Preston rd in Dallas disqualified? There is no median at villanova there are medians farther north in Plano at legacy where a Michigan left was installed and it is elevated where it crosses 121 in frisco for an 1/8 of a mile.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
Clay RD is the longest in Houston at 38M
actually, i think bellfort might take the title. i totally didn't realize how long it really travels, from southeast side to the far west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City