Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which areas are apart of Charlanta/Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion
East TN: Chattanooga, Knoxville, Tri-Cities 11 20.75%
Northern GA: Columbus, Augusta, Dalton 24 45.28%
Northern AL: Huntsville, Montgomery, Florence, Auburn 11 20.75%
Coastal Carolinas: Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Jacksonville 7 13.21%
Mainland Carolina: Florence,SC, Columbia, Sumter 23 43.40%
Just the Core 23 43.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:01 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Those areas aren't anything close to a megalopolis, even loosely speaking.
Well the entire Piedmont Charlanta megalopolis is a stretch because there is so much rural land between the metropolitan areas. The entire stretch of BosWash is mostly urbanized. Not so with Piedmont Charlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Well the entire Piedmont Charlanta megalopolis is a stretch because there is so much rural land between the metropolitan areas. The entire stretch of BosWash is mostly urbanized. Not so with Piedmont Charlanta.
I agree with that also. But it is an emerging mini-megalopolis of sorts.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:49 PM

235 posts, read 528,276 times
I voted mainland South Carolina even though Upstate South Carolina should be included. I honestly believe that I-20, I-85, and I-77 corridors connects all of these cities together with Charlotte, Atlanta, and Raleigh/Durham.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:04 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,522 times
Hell, Atlanta's CSA covers so much land it could be a megaregion in itself.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Hell, Atlanta's CSA covers so much land it could be a megaregion in itself.
Atlanta is definitely the anchor. However, The other three legs; Birmingham, Charlotte, and Raleigh-Durham, have some pull of their own. Not quite to Atlanta's level, but some pull nevertheless. When lump in Uostate and Triad areas, you can see the Southeastern megalopolis take better shape.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Interesting comments....

As an Atlanta booster... I have to say.... the OP has a very good question... I find myself at a loss of making any good definitive arguments. Clearly the I-85 corridor/core is apart of it.

As for the other cities...
I don't know

What I am curious about... are there any good statistics though show how economically tied the different businesses in the smaller metros are to the core charlotte-Atlanta corridor. One of the things that defines a mega region is all of the metro areas tend to work together to a degree to meet different economic goals.

I'm a little less concerned with the rural areas between the metros as we have interstates, airport, and freight rail connections that make business between metros possible.

What I'm curious about is... How does Augusta, Macon, Chattanooga, Charleston, and etc... tie into the megaregion?

What economic metrics would be the best to use to measure and judge in a verifiable and impartial manner?

Take Hunstvilla, Al as an example. It is a very sucessful small metro/city in it's own right. It has a high concentration of highly educated people and engineers. Many of them work in the Space/Aeronautics sector, but there is also growing sectors in bio-medical engineering.

To what extent does Huntsville's economic backbone work independent of the megaregion and trade outside the region? To what extend do they depend on the megaregion to be able to have their economy? To what extent does their engineering economy help the megaregion be a region economically tied together dependent on each other?

Somewhere in those questions has to be to produce some metric to examine how dependent we are with each other to grow together economically to trade outside the region. I'm just not sure what statistic to look at first.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 PM

235 posts, read 528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Interesting comments....

As an Atlanta booster... I have to say.... the OP has a very good question... I find myself at a loss of making any good definitive arguments. Clearly the I-85 corridor/core is apart of it.

As for the other cities...
I don't know

What I am curious about... are there any good statistics though show how economically tied the different businesses in the smaller metros are to the core charlotte-Atlanta corridor. One of the things that defines a mega region is all of the metro areas tend to work together to a degree to meet different economic goals.

I'm a little less concerned with the rural areas between the metros as we have interstates, airport, and freight rail connections that make business between metros possible.

What I'm curious about is... How does Augusta, Macon, Chattanooga, Charleston, and etc... tie into the megaregion?

What economic metrics would be the best to use to measure and judge in a verifiable and impartial manner?

Take Hunstvilla, Al as an example. It is a very sucessful small metro/city in it's own right. It has a high concentration of highly educated people and engineers. Many of them work in the Space/Aeronautics sector, but there is also growing sectors in bio-medical engineering.

To what extent does Huntsville's economic backbone work independent of the megaregion and trade outside the region? To what extend do they depend on the megaregion to be able to have their economy? To what extent does their engineering economy help the megaregion be a region economically tied together dependent on each other?

Somewhere in those questions has to be to produce some metric to examine how dependent we are with each other to grow together economically to trade outside the region. I'm just not sure what statistic to look at first.
Well there different stats you have to look at. For instance, Charleston is one of the biggest ports on the Atlantic coast along with Wilmington and Savannah. Also you can look at it as one of the biggest tourist regions in the areas of Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head. How they connect outside of the region. I go to USC and have a lot of other friends at other colleges. For example, College of Charleston is one of the best liberal arts colleges in the South and nation. Most tourist that come to Charleston are from the Northeast and Great Lakes areas. With this, these tourist come down repeatly and repeatly and there kids grow to like the area. So when they become ready to choose a college, a lot of them come down and choose a southern college with one of the main reasons being warmer weather and its a lot cheaper to come down here than to stay up there. This goes for other colleges such as USC, The Citadel, Clemson, UGA, and others.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Atlanta is definitely the anchor. However, The other three legs; Birmingham, Charlotte, and Raleigh-Durham, have some pull of their own. Not quite to Atlanta's level, but some pull nevertheless. When lump in Uostate and Triad areas, you can see the Southeastern megalopolis take better shape.
Well if you go as far out as Birmingham you might as well take it a bit further and include Montgomery and Tuscaloosa.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Well if you go as far out as Birmingham you might as well take it a bit further and include Montgomery and Tuscaloosa.
I do. But I was referring to the major legs. Triad and Upstate are considered because they are apart of the core. I feel that Birmingham anchors 'Bama, pulling in Huntsville, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
Well there different stats you have to look at. For instance, Charleston is one of the biggest ports on the Atlantic coast along with Wilmington and Savannah. Also you can look at it as one of the biggest tourist regions in the areas of Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head. How they connect outside of the region. I go to USC and have a lot of other friends at other colleges. For example, College of Charleston is one of the best liberal arts colleges in the South and nation. Most tourist that come to Charleston are from the Northeast and Great Lakes areas. With this, these tourist come down repeatly and repeatly and there kids grow to like the area. So when they become ready to choose a college, a lot of them come down and choose a southern college with one of the main reasons being warmer weather and its a lot cheaper to come down here than to stay up there. This goes for other colleges such as USC, The Citadel, Clemson, UGA, and others.
So true. That's what happend to my cousins from NJ. I feel the ports of Charleston and Wilmington have a strong economic tie to the region, plus Charleston is included in the Major Trade Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City