Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 167 31.87%
LA 71 13.55%
DC 45 8.59%
Philly 165 31.49%
Boston 76 14.50%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM

896 posts, read 1,171,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah. Only L.A.'s denset neighborhoods look like this:

Koreatown, Los Angeles, California - Google Maps

Whereas DC's densest neighborhood looks like this:

Dupont Circle, Washington, DC - Google Maps

We can even compared L.A.'s 3rd most walkable nabe according to Walkscore:

Mid City West, Los Angeles, California - Google Maps

And compare it to DC's 14th most walkable nabe according to Walkscore (Adams-Morgan is clearly not less walkable than Judiciary Square, but that's beside the point):

Even in L.A.'s densest areas, it still feels rather auto-dependent. That's why it doesn't make anyone's short list of "super urban cities" except for the few ardent L.A. supporters in the ether world.
Nitpicking much , DC is urban but its urban footprint is a fraction of LA's urban footprint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 05:11 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
That part of Koreatown has a density of 44k ppsm. It is far from the densest tract in Koreatown.

The walkscore of the general address you posted is 91. If you are only used to the way East Coast cities look, then it looks suburban. I will admit that is one of the less urban parts of the city (10k ppsm) and mostly single family homes and although it is walkable I am sure most of the residents drive most of the time.
I would tend to agree with you, just cause there is a set back or a driveway doesn't mean it's not urban ( South Boston, Koreatown, LA)t.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I would tend to agree with you, just cause there is a set back or a driveway doesn't mean it's not urban ( South Boston, Koreatown, LA)t.
Especially considering none of those buildings are single family homes in Koreatown (at least on the street view he posted). Most are apartment buildings with 4-10 units or duplexes.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,423,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Nitpicking much , DC is urban but its urban footprint is a fraction of LA's urban footprint
More like cherrypicking.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,300,900 times
Quote:
That part of Koreatown has a density of 44k ppsm. It is far from the densest tract in Koreatown.

The walkscore of the general address you posted is 91. If you are only used to the way East Coast cities look, then it looks suburban. I will admit that is one of the less urban parts of the city (10k ppsm) and mostly single family homes and although it is walkable I am sure most of the residents drive most of the time.
Munchitup, I am curious what is your definition of "walkable"?

It doesn't look like there is a whole lot going on in that part of Koreatown. Even the main routes surrounding that particular spot look like uninviting 4 to 8 lane roads/highways. Which explains why you hardly see any people around. And if as you say most people drive - which doesnt surprise me - doesn't that mean by definition that it is NOT walkable? In other words, is there a better way to define walkability than to look at the lifestyle of local residents?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Munchitup, I am curious what is your definition of "walkable"?

It doesn't look like there is a whole lot going on in that part of Koreatown. Even the main routes surrounding that particular spot look like uninviting 4 to 8 lane roads/highways. Which explains why you hardly see any people around. And if as you say most people drive - which doesnt surprise me - doesn't that mean by definition that it is NOT walkable? In other words, is there a better way to define walkability than to look at the lifestyle of local residents?
Well you hit on the head with that. There's not a lot going on there. It's really on the fringes of what I would consider Koreatown anyways and I think probably less gentrified then other parts of Koreatown.

This is a better representation of Koreatown: Koreatown, Los Angeles, California - Google Maps
It's not perfect, there is a strip mall on one corner, but more mixed use than that first link.

I've never lived in Koreatown (and only been in LA one year) so I can't really attest to whether it is truly walkable.

I consider walkable to be a place you can (relatively easily) get to a grocery store, gym, drug store, bars, restaurants, doctor's etc without a car. To the average person the walking limit would probably be .5 miles to 1 mile for those amenities (on the lower end for groceries) - I would say its more like 1 - 1.5 for me.

Edit: And I get that the roads being wide in LA is a big turn off to those from the East Coast. IMO that doesn't effect walkability except for instances like this on my way to Runyon Canyon Park: http://g.co/maps/mh3kh This has more to do with the fact that there is no crosswalk on the south side of La Brea (not the wide roads), so I have to go around. It would drive me crazy if I lived in the immediate area.

IMO wide sidewalks have more to do with walkability than wide roads.

EDIT: In reference to the residence driving I was talking about Crescent Heights, not Koreatown. I get your logic about if most folks drive then a place is most likely not walkable. LA is whole 'nother thing it seems, and it often defies logic. For instance, my wife's coworker was asking her about riding the subway, and another coworker piped up that "LA doesn't have any underground subways". This is coming from someone who lived their whole life in Northridge. She is far from the exception to the rule. The attachment to cars many of residents have is baffling IMO.

Last edited by munchitup; 01-31-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM

896 posts, read 1,171,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
More like cherrypicking.
Lol that's what I meant

Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Especially considering none of those buildings are single family homes in Koreatown (at least on the street view he posted). Most are apartment buildings with 4-10 units or duplexes.
But i would not say its the east coast version of Urbanitiy, Most people would call South Boston or Dorcester Urban, but most of those neigborhoods look similar to Koreatown, with setback homes, and driveways, ableit triple Deckers instead of small apartment buildings. but they have similar interaction with the street

Last edited by btownboss4; 01-31-2012 at 07:03 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,989,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I have been to LA plenty of times. I think LA is very urban over an area larger than Chicago and NYC. It's massive. Because LA is not compact like east coast cities, many posters take away points which can be debated. I rode the blue line from DT LA to Long Beach and it felt very connected. I got off and walked around Watts and Compton. I just think the single family homes with yards and lack of rowhouses give it that suburbanish look to a certain degree. But I grew up on the east coast and my definition of urban is different from someone from Cali. The highways don't help it's urbanity either. I think LA as a whole is just as urban as DC, Boston, Philly and Chicago.
Compton and Watts are suburban imo. That's not where LA people on this forum are referring to when they talk about the urban parts of LA. But LA doesn't have any neighborhoods without sidewalks that I can think of. I have seen some like that from DC posted here.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:01 AM

37,160 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah. Only L.A.'s denset neighborhoods look like this:

Koreatown, Los Angeles, California - Google Maps

Whereas DC's densest neighborhood looks like this:

We can even compared L.A.'s 3rd most walkable nabe according to Walkscore:

Mid City West, Los Angeles, California - Google Maps

And compare it to DC's 14th most walkable nabe according to Walkscore (Adams-Morgan is clearly not less walkable than Judiciary Square, but that's beside the point):

Even in L.A.'s densest areas, it still feels rather auto-dependent. That's why it doesn't make anyone's short list of "super urban cities" except for the few ardent L.A. supporters in the ether world.

Well, there might be two issues with your koreatown example. One is that you're looking at a block that is residential only (and east coast cities have that as well) when there is a street with mixed use and commercial/retail at street level both half a block south and two blocks over. The second is that the location you chose isn't actually in Koreatown. Koreatown is bound Western, Olympic, Vermont and West 3rd.

This is what's at the end of the block. It may look somewhat like an endless strip mall, but it's packed on all around by dense grid of multi-story apartment complexes rather than single-family homes and winding cul-de-sacs. What's more, the actual shops on offer there aren't run-of-the-mill chains, but an often cosmopolitan mosaic of shops, services, and restaurants. It certainly doesn't look like an East Coast city, but in terms of its actual functionality, it is very urban--an area dense with both residential and commercial activity.

Anyhow, I have no particular affection for the city. It's certainly urban, but oftentimes not urban in a way that I appreciate. For one thing, I just don't much like the look of it. I also feel that its urbanity is grimier overall than the other cities. That being said, Los Angeles is a very urban city in its core--comparable to the others in that sense (though in a very different form in places), but pretty terrible percentage-wise (that big of a MSA/CSA and yet just competitive with metros much, much smaller than it). It is getting better though--a decade ago, Los Angeles would have been completely out of its league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City