Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberaptor View Post
No offense, but in nebraska its North Omaha, and it has nothing to do with race, just crime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAyQeSEw63U
it still seems kind of funny to me to have crime problems in Omaha. I mean, you live in Nebraska, how bad can it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
it still seems kind of funny to me to have crime problems in Omaha. I mean, you live in Nebraska, how bad can it be?
There are states with much worse crime then Nebraska with even less population. Anchorage, Alaska has tons of problems with crips and bloods selling drugs in alaska. In fact, Alaska has one of the highest amounts of drug crimes in the country. Nebraska has problems with drug cartels as well.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,418 times
Quote:
Miami, Florida.
Miami dominates south Florida, though. I think the true black sheep of that state is Belle Glade or the Okeechobee shore in general. Nobody seems to speak well of that area.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,181 times
Lamar is the black sheep of Colorado. It feels more like Kansas and is geographically closer to Kansas than the Rockies.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 PM

375 posts, read 799,784 times
To be honest in Nebraska, a few of the border cities are kind of "black sheep" Omaha definitely is, especially among the rural people. For example, I live an hour from both Omaha and Lincoln and not far from Columbus or Fremont. Most people go to Lincoln. Part of it is UNL is there so people go to school there, but Omaha is seen as the bad city, while Lincoln is seen as the place where most in the rest of the state go. I honestly don't know why. Quite a few Omahan's are proud to be from Nebraska. However a lot of people out here hate Omaha.

The other city I think of is South Sioux. Granted Iowa is not very different from Nebraska, and Sioux City probably is a black sheep to people from Des Moines or Iowa City or Davenport, but South Sioux is more connected to Iowa than nebraska. Also, I think a lot of the panhandle cities feel more tied to Eastern Colorado or Wyoming than Nebraska.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender123 View Post
I would also say NYC isn't the black sheep of New York because in contains half the state's population, even though it's culturally different from the rest of NYS. Buffalo is more of a "problem child" of the state with it's economic conditions. But the black sheep would probably be Albany. Western NY and downstate NY have distinct culture, whereas Albany doesn't. It doesn't share many cultural aspects with either western NY or downstate NY, nor does it have it's distinct culture or ever developed it. It feels more like a place in between the Catskills and Adirondacks where people settled because of the state government and maybe college presence.

Also....we all hate Albany. The rest of Upstate hates Albany because they bend over for NYC/Downstate....and NYC/downstate hates Albany because they don't bend over quite far enough for them sometimes.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM

58 posts, read 190,070 times
Pittsburgh.. its soo isolated, unlike much more populated Eastern PA.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:36 PM

130 posts, read 226,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's people those places are like Sacramento looking at itself in the mirror.
I was trying to figure out what this post means, but then my brain started hurting...can u re-post in English maybe?

For Cali it's Bakersfield, then Fresno, San Bernadino, Stockton and Modesto.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:05 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,695 times
For states where I've been a resident for a good period of time, I'm going to say:

PA: Erie - great town, but I don't feel like it really gets any love from the rest of the state. Like, it's almost forgotten about! Maybe they should consider paying their taxes to Ohio, or better yet NY State, which brings me to;

NY: Binghamton - Hard call for me. But between Utica, Albany, and Binghamton, I think Binghamton was the most depressing, and honestly it feels as though a grey cloud is constantly hanging over the place. All of these cities have their issues, and there are many places in NY state that make you feel as though you're stepping back in time. The university is great though!

VA: Danville - Most cities in the Commonwealth are reasonably trying to get their stuff together. Danville is just a bit slow. It's not that Danville is a problem child, or embarrassing or anything. It's just Danville. Poor thing.

DC is its own black sheep.

*please note, intentional sarcasm

Old 05-27-2013, 07:07 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
VA: Danville - Most cities in the Commonwealth are reasonably trying to get their stuff together. Danville is just a bit slow. It's not that Danville is a problem child, or embarrassing or anything. It's just Danville. Poor thing.
It also seems that Petersburg doesn't have the best reputation in VA, but being in Richmond's metro might help it out just a bit in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City