Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmilan View Post
I lower myself to your level and say that Maryland leaches of of DC..if it didn't have the benefit of DC, it would be another Mississippi at best.....and for the record...southern and soul food is different but a closed minded individual wouldn't know that....
I live in Maryland and i don't work for the government...Maryland is not entirely dependent on dc.Maryland was never confederate state,Georgia was.I would think Georgia is more similar to Mississippi.Maryland has dc and Baltimore,Georgia is bigger state yet it has only one major city.Instead of answering generalization with generalization tell us what's great about Georgia
Washington D.C., Maryland???

Maryland as a stand alone state fails in comparison to Georgia.

I don't know why states in the NE and Mid Atlantic feel the need to leech off other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 02:06 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
I lower myself to your level and say that Maryland leaches of of DC..if it didn't have the benefit of DC, it would be another Mississippi at best.....and for the record...southern and soul food is different but a closed minded individual wouldn't know that....
I live in Maryland and i don't work for the government...Maryland is not entirely dependent on dc.Maryland was never confederate state,Georgia was.I would think Georgia is more similar to Mississippi.Maryland has dc and Baltimore,Georgia is bigger state yet it has only one major city.Instead of answering generalization with generalization tell us what's great about Georgia

What city in Maryland can compete with Atlanta or better yet what's another major city in MD besides Baltimore and it's still not on the same scale as Atlanta. Georgia and Maryland are in different tiers. You're comparing a state of nearly 10 million to a state nearly half of that. Also, metro Atlanta has nearly the same amount of people as the entire state. Everyone knows if DC wasn't right there, Maryland wouldn't be a thought, the only reason why it's the richest state because of the counties right aside of DC.

Also, Maryland has an identity crisis in IMO...southern Maryland does resemble Mississippi...I know I have family in Southern Maryland..Lexington Park to be exact...and any southerner who been to this area knows that this area is southern but yet in still you guys act like you're ashamed of it.

If you want to compare the major categories

Population: Georgia>>>>Maryland
GDP: Georgia>>>>Maryland
Cost of living: Georgia>>>>>Maryland
Growth: Georgia>>>>Maryland
Metro Atlanta>>>>>>Metro Baltimore
Seats in the house: Georgia>>>>Maryland

Old 12-27-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Maryland all day long!

Jobs - Fed Government
weather - All four seasons
public school system - Montgomery and Howard County school systems are among the tops in the US.
transportation - DC Metro/Marc/MTA
location -Philly/NYC
recreation - Mountains/Beaches
sports - Redskins/Ravens/Orioles/Nats/Wizards/Caps
colleges - Johns Hopkins/US Naval Academy
history - Fort McHenry
food - Crabs
etc. - Maryland is the richest state and has two of the richest counties in the US. PG is the richest majority AA county in the U.S.

Georgia all day long!

Jobs: We have government jobs as well as a pretty diverse economy.
weather: We get all four seasons as well
public schools: Cobb County is always ranked in the top 15 in the nation
transportation: I love my own car...and we have the world's busiest airport and decent transit.
location: subjective: I like Miami and places such as the Bahamas so I like GA's location
recreation: We have mountains, beaches, lakes, Do I need to say more
sports- Braves, Falcons, Hawks, SEC football, WNBA and the thrashers.
History: Savannah for colonial history....Other places for civil war history
food: Ummm a home cooked meal from GA vs some crab legs.....right!!
etc: Georgia has the most owned AA businesses in the country as well as the 2nd most affluent county in the nation for blacks...As well as black history...MLK the civil rights leader is from GA as well....

Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 PM

133 posts, read 384,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
What city in Maryland can compete with Atlanta or better yet what's another major city in MD besides Baltimore and it's still not on the same scale as Atlanta. Georgia and Maryland are in different tiers. You're comparing a state of nearly 10 million to a state nearly half of that. Also, metro Atlanta has nearly the same amount of people as the entire state. Everyone knows if DC wasn't right there, Maryland wouldn't be a thought, the only reason why it's the richest state because of the counties right aside of DC.

Also, Maryland has an identity crisis in IMO...southern Maryland does resemble Mississippi...I know I have family in Southern Maryland..Lexington Park to be exact...and any southerner who been to this area knows that this area is southern but yet in still you guys act like you're ashamed of it.

If you want to compare the major categories

Population: Georgia>>>>Maryland
GDP: Georgia>>>>Maryland
Cost of living: Georgia>>>>>Maryland
Growth: Georgia>>>>Maryland
Metro Atlanta>>>>>>Metro Baltimore
Seats in the house: Georgia>>>>Maryland
Ok thanks for letting me know the "major categories" i didn't know that's what we are comparing.So you are saying any state with more population,GDP,growth and seats in the house is better than Maryland.What about Georgia?Is California better than Georgia?Is New York better than Georgia?

Old 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
This is easy....Georgia by a mile.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks for letting me know the "major categories" i didn't know that's what we are comparing.So you are saying any state with more population,GDP,growth and seats in the house is better than Maryland.What about Georgia?Is California better than Georgia?Is New York better than Georgia?

That's how you determine the power of each state right???? So if so, those states are....they are tier one states...Georgia is in a tier with NC, NJ, VA, and MI....

Maryland can't compete as a stand alone state...maybe if you annexed DC you'd have more pull....

Maryland peers: MO, WI, MN, and CO....

Honestly......

Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
cdw,

You can't leave out DC when you are discussing MD as a whole. DC is just as important to MD as Baltimore is. It's one big metropolitan area. Physically, DC is carved out of MD. Montgomery County and PG County, MD are intertwined with DC. A lot of MD residents consider themselves Washingtonians.

DC or MD subway station?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8XLsjYQoGc

Jobs: We have government jobs as well as a pretty diverse economy. (Not more than MD)
weather: We get all four seasons as well (Not as extreme as MD)
public schools: Cobb County is always ranked in the top 15 in the nation(MD public schools rank higher)
transportation: I love my own car...and we have the world's busiest airport and decent transit. (MD has more transpotation options)
location: subjective: I like Miami and places such as the Bahamas so I like GA's location (NYC, Philly, Boston, nuff said)
recreation: We have mountains, beaches, lakes, Do I need to say more (MD has better beaches and mountains)
sports- Braves, Falcons, Hawks, SEC football, WNBA and the thrashers. (I'll give you a tie)
etc: Georgia has the most owned AA businesses in the country as well as the 2nd most affluent county in the nation for blacks...As well as black history...MLK the civil rights leader is from GA as well.... (PG County MD is the most affleunt county for blacks)

Old 12-27-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
cdw,

You can't leave out DC when you are discussing MD as a whole. DC is just as important to MD as Baltimore is. It's one big metropolitan area. Physically, DC is carved out of MD. Montgomery County and PG County, MD are intertwined with DC. A lot of MD residents consider themselves Washingtonians.

DC or MD subway station?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8XLsjYQoGc

Jobs: We have government jobs as well as a pretty diverse economy. (Not more than MD)
weather: We get all four seasons as well (Not as extreme as MD)
public schools: Cobb County is always ranked in the top 15 in the nation(MD public schools rank higher)
transportation: I love my own car...and we have the world's busiest airport and decent transit. (MD has more transpotation options)
location: subjective: I like Miami and places such as the Bahamas so I like GA's location (NYC, Philly, Boston, nuff said)
recreation: We have mountains, beaches, lakes, Do I need to say more (MD has better beaches and mountains)
sports- Braves, Falcons, Hawks, SEC football, WNBA and the thrashers. (I'll give you a tie)
etc: Georgia has the most owned AA businesses in the country as well as the 2nd most affluent county in the nation for blacks...As well as black history...MLK the civil rights leader is from GA as well.... (PG County MD is the most affleunt county for blacks)
What do you mean I can't leave out DC? It's not MD while it may be important to MD it's still not MD..that's just like NJ and NYC....As for jobs, we don't have as many government jobs but we're more diverse when it comes to jobs than MD as a whole...hence our state grew over 1.5 million or more than 3 times as much as MD....Weather: MD gets just as hot as Georgia in the summer but Georgia doesn't get as cold as Maryland in the winter...As for beaches and Mountains...I'm not a fan or either and I haven't seen the ones in MD but I do know GA has nice ones...Sports...not a tie...all of our teams make the playoff, no comment there!......Location: once again to each it's own......As for AA....Georgia, overall has more wealthy blacks!

Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Georgia is Maryland's poor country cousin. Two of MD's counties are in the top ten for richest counties in the US. PG kills anything GA can muster up for wealthy AA's.

Your sports teams are fairing better but you still don't have a Super Bowl or a NBA Title. The Braves have to be a big disappointment.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Georgia is Maryland's poor country cousin. Two of MD's counties are in the top ten for richest counties in the US. PG kills anything GA can muster up for wealthy AA's.

Your sports teams are fairing better but you still don't have a Super Bowl or a NBA Title. The Braves have to be a big disappointment.

Whatever your state is a leach....

As for sports....Orioles or Braves....have the Orioles won more than 70 games this decade in any season? You don't have a basketball team unless you want to count the DC's? LOL....and the Ravens are the only thing that's worth commenting on and they lost to us as well this year....

Back to African Americans....

It doesn't take rocket science to understand why more blacks are moving to GA. You have that one affluent county I'll give you that....but $50,000 in Georgia will get you much farther than what $80,000 will get you in MD...and we're also home to the most blk millionaires....

Question? Did 90,000 blacks move to GA or MD in 2006-2007?

Or do you want to start a poll about blacks fairing better in GA or MD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City