Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Dallas a regional, national, or global center for fashion?
Dallas is a regional center for fashion 76 46.06%
Dallas is a national center for fashion 31 18.79%
Dallas is a global center for fashion 10 6.06%
None of the above 48 29.09%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Lmao. Mkay, Htown. In your opinion...let's just make that clear
what makes the Fashion scene in Dallas more national or global than the scene in Seattle??

They are both Fashion centers for their REGION?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
What's the point being made again?? Dallas is a fashion center because of Neiman Marcus???

Old 06-10-2011, 08:17 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
What's the point being made again?? Dallas is a fashion center because of Neiman Marcus???
You tried that.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
You tried that.
Not sure what you mean, but I guess I'll try again. Why is Dallas considered a fashion center though?? I agree Dallas offer better shopping than Houston to a certain extent, but I'm not getting the rest.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean, but I guess I'll try again. Why is Dallas considered a fashion center though??
notice how he shied away from this question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what makes the Fashion scene in Dallas more national or global than the scene in Seattle??

They are both Fashion centers for their REGION?
if his argument is that Nieman Marcus makes Dallas a global fashion center then why doesn't Nordstrom do the same for Seattle??

He took affront to me saying Dallas was on the same level as Seattle, and yet the argument for both is the same

Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,282 times
From Dallas' own TurlteCreek80...

Quote:
Yes, on several levels.

1. The market center is the major wholesale center for the Southwest. There are apparel & gift markets held almost monthly.

2. From a shopping perspective: NorthPark is one of a handful (like under 5 malls) of malls in the US that produce $1 BILLION in sales annually. It is a major, major tourist destination for residents of the south/ southwest. If the NBA All-Star weekend was any indicator of what the Super Bowl week will be like at NorthPark, prepare to witness big time celeb & athlete "power shopping".

3. Dallas has stellar high-end boutiques that are routinely featured in Vogue, Bazaar, Town & Country etc as among the best in the US. Forty-five Ten and Stanley Korshak come to mind first.

4.Dallas & the surrounding areas have been the birthplace & childhood home for many talented fashion execs, insiders, and designers. Tom Ford was born in Waco. Julie Gilhart, former fashion director at Barneys New York, grew up in North Dallas. Taylor Tomasi Hill, Style & Accessories Director at Marie Claire magazine (and formerly of W & Teen Vogue) graduated from Highland Park HS. She is one of the most photographed mag editors and is a major style icon in the blog world. Jane Aldridge, a teenager from Trophy Club, writes one of the most famous fashion blogs "Sea of Shoes" and has already designed for Gryphon and Urban Outfitters. Lela Rose grew up in the North Dallas private schools and is one of the premier high end bridal & bridesmaid designers, along with a successful ready-to-wear line. Tons ofmore minor fashion mag editors, retail buyers & executives, stylists, etc in NYC/ LA/ Europe also were born & raised here in Dallas.

And last, but not least, we must discuss the influence of Neiman Marcus on the world. Yes, the world. When the store was founded in 1907, it was the FIRST store to sell ready-to-wear (vs custom clothing or making ones own clothing). It was the first retailer to offer a customer loyalty program (InCircle), which influenced everyone else from airline miles to frozen yogurt punch cards. It was the FIRST retailer to offer gift cards, which being a few days after Christmas, I don't need to explain further! But more than that- when Stanley Marcus became President in the 1950's (?), it put Dallas on the International Fashion map. He created the Neiman Marcus award for excellence in fashion and awarded famous designers like Coco Chanel herself, Mr Valentino, etc and invited them to Dallas to fête them. They were impressed by the well-dressed women in Dallas (who spent boatloads at Neiman's) and enjoyed a week of parties and also over-the-top "Texas" entertainment. The fashion world began to notice what was happening in Dallas. It continues today with Neiman's sponsoring the Crystal Charity Ball's fall fashion show (featuring the designer of Akris this year, and Oscar de la Renta last year), with the huge numbers of designers who make personal appearances & meet and work wth customers in the Dallas stores each year (not just NM, but at Korshak, 4510, etc too). Manolo Blahnik himself, David Yurman himself, Philip Lim, Carolina Herrera, Tamera Mellon of Jimmy Choo, Naeem Kaan, have all been here in the past few months just off the top of my head!

Lastly, the amount of Dallas-exclusive stores (whether exclusive to Dallas or the Southwest) is an indicator of how desirable our fashion market is. Christian Louboutin, DVF, Oscar de la Renta, Barneys New York & other heavy-hitters are our exclusive stores. The $/sf in NorthPark and Highland Park Village are among the highest in the US, with the exception of 57th Street & Fifth Avenue in NYC and possibly Shops @ Bal Harbour in Florida.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:40 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean, but I guess I'll try again. Why is Dallas considered a fashion center though?? I agree Dallas offer better shopping than Houston to a certain extent, but I'm not getting the rest.
You pretty much answered your on question. If I was going to do some high end shopping in south central U.S. what city would I go to? Dallas, duh....

Old 06-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You pretty much answered your on question. If I was going to do some high end shopping in south central U.S. what city would I go to? Dallas, duh....
Apparently Mexicans disagree with you considering Houston is more of a shopping destination for them than Dallas. Better shopping = Fashion center??? I guess; only on city data.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 PM

There are sooo many things wrong about the above quote that I don't even know where to begin.

The most glaring ones are:

-How can NM be the first clothing store when the founders on NM went to surprise surprise a CLOTHING STORE in NY to buy the original merchandise offered for resale in DAllas.
Too funny. CLothing stores have been around for a lot longer than NM. and no, before NM you didn't have to resort to making your own clothes or have a tailor make one for you. There have been clothing stores in the US before Dallas itself was even founded.

-since when does things from Waco end up being a Dallas thing.
Pretty soon you guys will be one upping ATL by claiming you guys invented Dr Pepper and Big Red

Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
From Dallas' own TurlteCreek80...
Quote:
1. The market center is the major wholesale center for the Southwest. There are apparel & gift markets held almost monthly.

2. From a shopping perspective: NorthPark is one of a handful (like under 5 malls) of malls in the US that produce $1 BILLION in sales annually. It is a major, major tourist destination for residents of the south/ southwest. If the NBA All-Star weekend was any indicator of what the Super Bowl week will be like at NorthPark, prepare to witness big time celeb & athlete "power shopping".

3. Dallas has stellar high-end boutiques that are routinely featured in Vogue, Bazaar, Town & Country etc as among the best in the US. Forty-five Ten and Stanley Korshak come to mind first.

4.Dallas & the surrounding areas have been the birthplace & childhood home for many talented fashion execs, insiders, and designers. Tom Ford was born in Waco. Julie Gilhart, former fashion director at Barneys New York, grew up in North Dallas. Taylor Tomasi Hill, Style & Accessories Director at Marie Claire magazine (and formerly of W & Teen Vogue) graduated from Highland Park HS. She is one of the most photographed mag editors and is a major style icon in the blog world. Jane Aldridge, a teenager from Trophy Club, writes one of the most famous fashion blogs "Sea of Shoes" and has already designed for Gryphon and Urban Outfitters. Lela Rose grew up in the North Dallas private schools and is one of the premier high end bridal & bridesmaid designers, along with a successful ready-to-wear line. Tons ofmore minor fashion mag editors, retail buyers & executives, stylists, etc in NYC/ LA/ Europe also were born & raised here in Dallas.

And last, but not least, we must discuss the influence of Neiman Marcus on the world. Yes, the world. When the store was founded in 1907, it was the FIRST store to sell ready-to-wear (vs custom clothing or making ones own clothing). It was the first retailer to offer a customer loyalty program (InCircle), which influenced everyone else from airline miles to frozen yogurt punch cards. It was the FIRST retailer to offer gift cards, which being a few days after Christmas, I don't need to explain further! But more than that- when Stanley Marcus became President in the 1950's (?), it put Dallas on the International Fashion map. He created the Neiman Marcus award for excellence in fashion and awarded famous designers like Coco Chanel herself, Mr Valentino, etc and invited them to Dallas to fête them. They were impressed by the well-dressed women in Dallas (who spent boatloads at Neiman's) and enjoyed a week of parties and also over-the-top "Texas" entertainment. The fashion world began to notice what was happening in Dallas. It continues today with Neiman's sponsoring the Crystal Charity Ball's fall fashion show (featuring the designer of Akris this year, and Oscar de la Renta last year), with the huge numbers of designers who make personal appearances & meet and work wth customers in the Dallas stores each year (not just NM, but at Korshak, 4510, etc too). Manolo Blahnik himself, David Yurman himself, Philip Lim, Carolina Herrera, Tamera Mellon of Jimmy Choo, Naeem Kaan, have all been here in the past few months just off the top of my head!

Lastly, the amount of Dallas-exclusive stores (whether exclusive to Dallas or the Southwest) is an indicator of how desirable our fashion market is. Christian Louboutin, DVF, Oscar de la Renta, Barneys New York & other heavy-hitters are our exclusive stores. The $/sf in NorthPark and Highland Park Village are among the highest in the US, with the exception of 57th Street & Fifth Avenue in NYC and possibly Shops @ Bal Harbour in Florida.
...but AlGreen doesn't know what he's talking about, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City