Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 03:47 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,738 times

Advertisements

Houston- too hot and humid
San Francisco- Too expensive, exclusive.
Atlanta- sprawl and traffic and heat and humidity
Detroit- well, the suburbs are nice
Cleveland- 'cause I'm from Pittsburgh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghengis View Post
3 months, but who's counting? I for one will be looking forward to your january update with us road atlas in hand.
lol...

Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times
Philly- Crime, poverty, uninteresting. Rusty, filthy, decayed cesspool

Detroit- Crime, weather, poverty, corruption

Saint Louis- Crime, weather, poverty. Dying decayed cesspool

Pittsburgh- Irrelevant dying midwestern dump, weather

Rochester- Weather, dying

Last edited by Slyman11; 10-25-2011 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,703 times
"I could never live in a metro area below 3 milllion people. Therefore, I am only taking into consideration the 17 largest CSA's.

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Detroit - Horrible Economy

Los Angeles - Sprawl, Car Culture, Horrible Economy, Openly supports illegals.

Phoenix - Hot, Sprawl, Horrible Economy

San Diego - Beach Culture, Horrible Ecnonomy

San Francisco - The hippie spirit has never died."

I feel the same way, not necessarily the cities... but. I feel the same way, 3 million is almost a cut off point for sure.

I'll do the same thing. So out of those I'll go with

Detroit, horrible economy
Seattle, horrible weather imo and isolated
Minneapolis, also horrible weather, way too extreme cold for way too long
Phoenix, wouldn't want to live in desert, too sprawled, low end economy
for 5... going to have to go with
San Diego...yes perfect weather....but I agree, don't like the culture there and too small time.

Other cities I just wouldn't consider period, I'm a city person at heart and need a lot of variety, life is short, but I could probably make the remainder of the top 12 work somehow.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 AM

100 posts, read 145,313 times
Anywhere NOT NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, and Washington DC.

Being near where the power is awesome. Anywhere else can't come close.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:21 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post

LA and the Bay Area.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:04 AM

716 posts, read 1,237,231 times
WORST

1)OAKLAND (EXTREME CRIME AND HOUSING IS EXPENSIVE WTF AND ITS BEYOND LIBERAL)
2)SAN FRAN (HIGH CRIME, EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE, LIBERAL AS HELL, MORONIC POPULATION, PEOPLE ARE AHOLES)
3)DETROIT (EXTREME CRIME AND COLD WINTERS AND NOTHING AT ALL TO DO ARE NOT A GOOD MIX)
4)PHILLY (CRIME, LIBERAL, BAD WEATHER, NOTHING TO DO, PEOPLE ARE AHOLES)
5)MINNEAPOLS/ST PAUL (WAY TOO COLD, MIDDLE OF NOWHERE NO OTHER CITIES NEARBY, CRIME BAD)
6)LA (EXPENSIVE, VERY BAD LIFESTYLE UNLESS YOU'RE RICH, HOUSING SO SMALL YET SO EXPENSIVE, LIBERAL, AHOLES)

Worst in Florida: 1)dade county (third world lifestyle unless you're rich, way too expensive for the average income, extreme crime) 2)Broward (aholes,liberal,expensive)

BEST PLACES TO LIVE
1)Any city in Texas (EXTREMELY CHEAP HOUSING, GOOD ECONOMY, PEOPLE ARE VERY SOCIABLE, GOOD WEATHER, CHEAP PRICES ALL AROUND, CHEAP GAS, CONSERVATIVE)
2)NORTH FLORIDA/PANHANDLE (WEATHER, SCENERY, WAY BETTER PEOPLE THAN IN SOUTH FLORIDA, CHEAP, CONSERVATIVE)
3)CAPE CORAL (CHEAP, LOW CRIME, BEAUTIFUL WEATHER AND TROPICAL)
4)CLEARWATER (CITY/BEACH VERSION OF TAMPA)
5)NASHVILLE (CHEAP, FRIENDLY PEOPLE, LOTS GOING ON DOWNTOWN)
6)PITTSBURGH (CHEAP, ECONOMY GOOD, BEAUTIFUL CITY, REAL GOOD PEOPLE, LIVELY DOWNTOWN)

HOnorable mentions but smaller: oklahoma, arkansas, kentucky, knoxville, virginia beach, gulfport/biloxi ms,

Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post

I agree. I would never live anywhere else by choice other than those 5 cities.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,296,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LA and the Bay Area.
No!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:08 AM

40 posts, read 48,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Los Angeles - Never respected what this city stood for; don't care for the sprawl or the movie industry or the movie star focus; don't care to be in a place that is the plastic surgery capital of the world; don't care for the smog or traffic; hate the surfer culture; not the least bit interested in the tacky sophistication the city represents nor its reputation as "land of the larks."

Atlanta - Not interested in a place that touts itself as the "black mecca" - at least not until blacks as a whole are known more for high academic achievement rather than underachievement and preference for rap and hip-hop. I prefer a place where commonality is not defined by race. The city also resides in one of the most politically-backwards and racially-insensitive states: Georgia. I wouldn't be caught dead in a state with such a shameful racial history.

Milwaukee - I still have relatives there and it's a beautiful city of great substance, peace, and tranquility. Beautiful parks and homes are nicely built. It's a clean city with beautiful neighborhoods. There are some fine, down-to-earth people who reside there as well. Problem is that there are too many ignorant, semi-illiterate black people and far too many rigid, racially-intolerant whites in this city. The city is stuck in limbo while these two factions are stuck staring each other down. This may not end for another 100 years. Too much segregation. Too few career opportunities. Not much room for growth. Career stagnation is commonplace, especially for blacks. Winters are brutal.

Chicago - Just a bigger, more intense version of Milwaukee. They're only 90 miles apart. Chicago may be bigger and more world renowned, but it is by no means a more enlightened place. It continues to stand alongside Milwaukee as one of the most racially-segregated cities in the country. It too has been struggling with a huge population of semi-illiterate, problematic blacks and large segment of racially-intolerant whites. Like Milwaukee, the potential of this city is suspended while these two factions impede each other. No.

New York - Great city if you're young, single, educated. Stressful place to make a living, especially if you have a family with kids. The commute alone was not meant for human beings, but desensitized robots. Too congested and the effort to tolerate the congestion is ever-present, even when sleeping. Not interested in living in a city where everyone thinks they have all the answers and no questions. The city makes you adjust to it and find this tolerable only as a visitor.
I agree with much of this. Especially the part about Chicago. Outside of Chicago's financial district and near northside, Chicago is not what I expected. Its kinda like Milwaukee style people who get more variety and world
flavor here, but the level of closet racism and narrowmindedness trumps my hometown in Michigan. There is a quote I saw on a fb page once "Chicago is merely a pretentious Milwaukee" Don't get me wrong, the aesthetic and cosmoness is what attracts..but its ultimately the dysfunctional bulk of Chicago's population that cause a steady decline in its population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City