Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area overall offers more?
Bay Area 80 28.07%
NYC 184 64.56%
Tie 21 7.37%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:11 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,641 times

Advertisements

I like NY but its an uber-segregated stinky place that is completed man-made with no natural beauty. Living in a real life version of Do The Right Thing in NYC isn't fun for someone like me who isn't straight-up White, Black, Asian or Hispanic and only likes to "be around their own kind" whatever the hell that means. NYC isn't a melting pot, it's more like a frozen microwavable TV dinner where the white rice doesn't touch the macaroni, the black eyed peas or beans. NYC also doesn't have good weed or palm trees.

Metro - Is New York really the second-most-segregated city in America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 10:15 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I like NY but its an uber-segregated stinky place that is completed man-made with no natural beauty. Living in a real life version of Do The Right Thing in NYC isn't fun for someone like me who isn't straight-up White, Black, Asian or Hispanic and only likes to "be around their own kind" whatever the hell that means. NYC isn't a melting pot, it's more like a frozen TV dinner where the white rice doesn't touch the macaroni, the black eyed peas or beans. NYC also doesn't have good weed or palm trees.

Well, NY does have natural beauty. However, it's just nowhere near the level of SF. SF can keep the "good weed" because I have something called a job and a career. I am not a 17 year old high school student who sits in his room all day and plays video games while my mother brings me PB&Js with no crusts and Hawaaiian Punch boxes. I find palm trees annoying, they are for happy people who want to bake in the sun. I find natural beauty, palm trees and "good weed" as a hippie traits..... way to live up to the stereotypes of SF with this post.

Last edited by Gateway Region; 09-06-2011 at 10:30 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 10:35 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,191 times
Quote:
I like NY but its an uber-segregated stinky place that is completed man-made with no natural beauty.
No natural beauty? Put the crack pipe down... you clearly dont know the region, typical of tourists to be uneducated of all NYC offers. Manhattan =/= all of NYC. Obviously the natural beauty isnt as dramatic as SF but NYC is anything but unnatural.

With views like these in the area I dont think we're missing out

Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Well, NY does have natural beauty. However, it's just nowhere near the level of SF. SF can keep the "good weed" because I have something called a job and a career.
Yes. Because no one in infamously-expensive, oft-derided-as-being-too-yuppie San Francisco is a driven, career minded person.

Quote:
I am not a 17 year old high school student who sits in his room all day and plays video games while my mother brings me PB&Js with no crusts and Hawaaiian Punch boxes.
Funny, you just described an infamous NYC native/booster who's been banned a few times from here...

Quote:
I find palm trees annoying, they are for happy people who want to bake in the sun.
Aw, so you aren't happy? :'( Sorry to hear this. Now I understand why you're so hung up on spite for those happy-go-lucky sorts.

Quote:
I find natural beauty, palm trees and "good weed" as a hippie traits..... way to live up to the stereotypes of SF with this post.
Yeah! Screw natural beauty! Nature is the past... the future is in concrete, glass, and superior metallurgy! When all the trees are dying and the oceans are putrid, lifeless, sludgy masses, what will endure? Not flesh... not wood or annoying plant matter... but steel!

Seriously though... he didn't say anything about "good weed," and uh... yeah... all those insanely-rich people who spend their days brokering stocks or running companies in NYC who then commute to Long Island, or parts of Connecticut, to houses set back in lush old-growth forests seem to think that "natural beauty" is a nice thing, too.

Way to live up to all the stereotypes about New Yorkers with your above post

PS: palm trees are more of a Socal thing than a San Francisco thing.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Troll posts? Moron convention? Sorry, but what I stated was my opinion and it was within the guidelines of this site.
Yeah, and so is saying that there's no such thing as evolution, or proof that the world is any older than a few thousand years.

Quote:
Actually, I am in SF right now on vacation. My hotel is in union square and outside of my hotel window I can spot several hippies lurking as they are smoking with their Bob Marley dreads swaying in the wind. So, don't tell me the culture I described is not present, it's all over this city and I can see it with my own eyes.
Okay then. Tomorrow, go and buy a 20oz bottle of Coke and take a picture of it in front of the heart at the Northwest corner of Union Square (corner of Powell and Post). It'll only take a few minutes out of your day, and you can not only save face from this challenge, but you can also put us all in our places for having said, over and over, that you've never been to the Bay Area and thus have no accurate barometer for it. You don't have to put your face in it, or anything like that... totally anonymous.

To play it fair, I will gladly accept a similar challenge and snap a picture of whatever store-bought item you wish, in front of whatever local landmark in the Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, or Venice areas... or Hollywood, I suppose.

I like being proven wrong as it challenges my sensibilities. How about you?

Quote:
* San Francisco has two big contributions to our society. The first is the birthplace of the hippie movement in the 60's, which the hippie sprit still lives on throught the city. The second is for creating a hippie maniac monster in the Zodiac Killer who striked terror in everyone all over America. I would easily rather live or visit NY. Overall San Francisco I dont hate you, I just believe your economy is failing and you are a hippie haven for weirdos to navigate towards.
In the meantime, SF may have hosted the Zodiac Killer almost a half-century ago, but NYC spawned and was the backdrop of the David Berkowitz (aka Son of Sam) and Joel Rifkin, among others. Also, I read on the NYT this morning that there were 48 shootings over the course of Labor Day Weekend.

So, since you're such a sucka-free, hippie-repellant city... what brought on this mess?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
I have made my opinions very clear with my past couple of posts. My vote is easily for NY in every category and I stand by it. Anyways, it's midnight on the east coast, bye.
Yeah sure....wink nod.

Your in SF and Im on Jupiter.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:32 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Okay then. Tomorrow, go and buy a 20oz bottle of Coke and take a picture of it in front of the heart at the Northwest corner of Union Square (corner of Powell and Post).
His credibility was already below zero with is 10+ screen names, now we're moving into delusion territory.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
I have lived in Manhattan and San Francisco.

I would break it all down like this:

NYC:
Dining - Nothing in America compares with NYC's food..hands down.
Shopping - Women love NYC for this reason alone lol.

Public Transit - NYC's is dirty, loud and somewhat dangerous...but it works and goes everywhere.
Financial Jobs - The Mecca.
History - NYC is vast in comparison.
Arts and Theatre - NYC winner.
Seasons -It is nice to have snow and NYC winters are not bad.
Culture (different then diversity IMO) - NYC has a neighborhood for about every culture in the world. You can find almost any food possible and it will be done like it is in that country.

San Fran:
Outdoor life - Hands down winner, NYC has nothing to offer that can compare (Mountains, beaches)
Weather - Depends on what you like, but SF has some nice chilly weather. You can make plans without considering it like you will in NYC.
Schools and Universities - Intelligent folks live here, public schools are bad in both inner cities.
Tech Jobs - The Mecca.
Cost - I give the nod to San Fran, simply because there are so many free things to do, and NYC all costs $$$.
Diversity - It is tough, but I give SF the edge in diversity. The key here, is diversity that actually get along and live with each other. NYC is racially segregated. While SF tend to be much more liberal and relaxed people.

Overall beauty - In in the eye of the beholder, I like trees, cliffs and oceans; my wife likes flashing lights, fashion and statues.

San Fran is a much more "forward thinking" City IMO.

I think the San Francisco Bay is the better place to live.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I like NY but its an uber-segregated stinky place that is completed man-made with no natural beauty. Living in a real life version of Do The Right Thing in NYC isn't fun for someone like me who isn't straight-up White, Black, Asian or Hispanic and only likes to "be around their own kind" whatever the hell that means. NYC isn't a melting pot, it's more like a frozen microwavable TV dinner where the white rice doesn't touch the macaroni, the black eyed peas or beans. NYC also doesn't have good weed or palm trees.

Quote:
Seriously though... he didn't say anything about "good weed"
Really? I quoted his post and bolded/underlined the part where he stated it. I guess this part of his post was overlooked.

Quote:
PS: palm trees are more of a Socal thing than a San Francisco thing.
I know, Socal is filled with hippies too.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Okay then. Tomorrow, go and buy a 20oz bottle of Coke and take a picture of it in front of the heart at the Northwest corner of Union Square (corner of Powell and Post). It'll only take a few minutes out of your day, and you can not only save face from this challenge, but you can also put us all in our places for having said, over and over, that you've never been to the Bay Area and thus have no accurate barometer for it. You don't have to put your face in it, or anything like that... totally anonymous.

To play it fair, I will gladly accept a similar challenge and snap a picture of whatever store-bought item you wish, in front of whatever local landmark in the Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, or Venice areas... or Hollywood, I suppose.

I like being proven wrong as it challenges my sensibilities. How about you?
Why would I take time out of MY day to do something for you? I don't care if you dislike my posts, agree with my posts or even read my posts. Also, I definately don't care if a Seattle native posing as a Californian enjoys them.

Quote:
In the meantime, SF may have hosted the Zodiac Killer almost a half-century ago, but NYC spawned and was the backdrop of the David Berkowitz (aka Son of Sam) and Joel Rifkin, among others. Also, I read on the NYT this morning that there were 48 shootings over the course of Labor Day Weekend.

So, since you're such a sucka-free, hippie-repellant city... what brought on this mess?
First, the Zodiac Killer comment is called sarcasm. Sarcasm is something Californians and west coasters in general do not get with their zombie/monotone personalities.

Second, 48 shootings in NY. I wonder how many of those 48 shootings were in the Bronx or hoodlum areas in BK or Queens, which I will never step foot in anyways? Overall, NY has a low crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City