Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area overall offers more?
Bay Area 80 28.07%
NYC 184 64.56%
Tie 21 7.37%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
OK fanboi. But even you aren't going to try comparing SF to NYC are you? Start with Philadelphia or Boston, better equivalents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 11:50 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
I think this is your way of connotating "flyover" country. It's a very trite, provincial expression. The problem is, I'm from Chicago, and we find that term kind of cute, and respond with a bit of a roll of our eyes. It's like when someone refers to San Francisco as "Frisco". It shows a depth of insecurity and frankly, ignorance. Go ahead and keep using the term though if it makes you feel superior. It's add's nothing to your cause though.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Why is it so difficult for New Yorkers to understand that there are a few places in America that are distinct in their own right, and which are not trying to be New York? I love New York and think there is no place like it. If I wanted to live in New York, I would. I'm not trapped in San Francisco. I came here by choice. New York would have probably been easier for someone in my profession anyway, but it wasn't my dream to go to New York.

My dream was to live in San Francisco. Now, I'm on the western slope of Russian Hill, a couple of blocks from a tree-lined street where cable cars roll down, looking out to sunsets in the Presidio every evening, while cool breezes blow in from the Pacific. There is vibrant city all around, a charming waterfront is steps away, and there's a personality in the mix of neighborhoods here that is not present anywhere else in America.

I know New Yorkers could make similar claims and I am not claiming SF is "better" or "offers more" than NY. SF offers different things than NY and The San Franciscans and New Yorkers I know are happy about that. In fact, the only people I have heard of obsessed with the idea that everywhere wants to be New York are C-D posters.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:33 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
The OP said there's no criteria--just whatever you like. So yea, whatevs. Chicago rules!

Old 10-27-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I think this is your way of connotating "flyover" country. It's a very trite, provincial expression. The problem is, I'm from Chicago
Yes, I can see how that might be problematic. LOL

Quote:
It shows a depth of insecurity and frankly, ignorance.
Ironic considering your own comment:
Oh, but please don't squash our little North Californian's dreams of grandeur. "We have good food and a long pretty bridge. We have some computers too! We're great!"

But now your clearly indignant over being flyover country. LMAO.

Quote:
Go ahead and keep using the term though if it makes you feel superior.
Well I dont really need terms or words to prove anything vs Chicago and to be frank, I wouldnt call it superior but perhaps "more productive" is a friendlier way to put it.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:55 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Start with Philadelphia or Boston, better equivalents.
Honestly, Bay Area's surpassed Boston's league & Philadelphia's league. This can be quantified. Could we please just stop with these "OMG I'm so surprised" remarks. It's been distancing itself from those two for well over a decade now, it's not getting any closer.

Try, Washington DC.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:57 PM

Furthermore, comparing the whole of New York City to the entire San Francisco Bay Area is insulting because the reality is nearly everything about New York that anyone cares about is found in the island of Manhattan. Everything else is almost dead weight.

I mean, comparing the 4 boroughs to just th SF+SJ MSAs is really embarrassing for Brooklyn+Queens+Bronx+Staten Island, especially because the populations are identical. Yikes.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
C-D always delivers

there's more going on in queens than the entire bay area
What's poppin with Queens? Queens just seems like a REALLY diverse suburb to me, with hardcore urbanism spread about.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:13 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
I think this is your way of connotating "flyover" country. It's a very trite, provincial expression. The problem is, I'm from Chicago, and we find that term kind of cute, and respond with a bit of a roll of our eyes. It's like when someone refers to San Francisco as "Frisco". It shows a depth of insecurity and frankly, ignorance. Go ahead and keep using the term though if it makes you feel superior. It's add's nothing to your cause though.
Didn't you mount the attack on Northern California and the Bay Area?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:40 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Furthermore, comparing the whole of New York City to the entire San Francisco Bay Area is insulting because the reality is nearly everything about New York that anyone cares about is found in the island of Manhattan. Everything else is almost dead weight.

I mean, comparing the 4 boroughs to just th SF+SJ MSAs is really embarrassing for Brooklyn+Queens+Bronx+Staten Island, especially because the populations are identical. Yikes.
I would even go farther than that: try comparing just SF and Oakland to the whole of the Bronx and Staten Island and it becomes a real knockout, even though SF/Oakland have a smaller population. That's remarkable! I mean once you take Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens out of the equation, NYC is nothing but bland suburbs on one side and crime-ridden ghettos on the other. Speaking of overrated...

Last edited by Fitzrovian; 10-28-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City