Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area overall offers more?
Bay Area 80 28.07%
NYC 184 64.56%
Tie 21 7.37%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:32 PM

120 posts, read 107,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
The rest of your points are alright, though opinions. This "fact" is fairly misleading as both Chicago and Philadelphia probably provide the more "mini NYC" feel and in raw statistics, tradition as well as aesthetics sans arbitrary city boundaries. SF is the 2nd densest past a certain population threshold and considering it's smaller city limits.

18Montclair is surely a huge Bay Area fan, but most of his facts and statistics are generally on point, fresh, extremely accurate, and not off the cuff like that.
I think he would agree with me that this isn't actually the case in your Mini-NYC notion, possibly on paper...but not in reality.
The same with NYC having lots of things on paper, but the percentages and how people cluster in SF on a daily basis do put up a diversity challenge in terms of feel to NYC actually. I could certainly handle the notion you might interact with more diversity in Bay Area on a daily basis, whereas NYC has it, but you might need to go into the specific ethnic neighborhoods.
The density statistic I cited was not intended to support a specific assertion of fact; only to suggest why one feels a sense of vitality in certain SF neighborhoods that can often be similar to that one experiences in NYC. It's with that vitality in mind that I suggested that SF often feels like a "mini-New York," and expressed my opinion that I feel that more frequently in SF than I do in any other non-NYC American city. If my citation felt "off-the-cuff," it's probably because it was, in a sense: it was only meant as one of what is most likely a variety of explanations/sources for that feeling.

Your speculations about diversity in the two respective regions are interesting. It would be intriguing to look at statistics for each in terms of where various ethnic groups reside; how segregated the regions - and specific cities and towns within them - are, etc. Of course, tourism skews the actual experience, at least in Manhattan and San Francisco proper - part of the feeling of diversity, at least in areas popular with tourists, results from their presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 03:12 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
The density statistic I cited was not intended to support a specific assertion of fact; only to suggest why one feels a sense of vitality in certain SF neighborhoods that can often be similar to that one experiences in NYC. It's with that vitality in mind that I suggested that SF often feels like a "mini-New York," and expressed my opinion that I feel that more frequently in SF than I do in any other non-NYC American city. If my citation felt "off-the-cuff," it's probably because it was, in a sense: it was only meant as one of what is most likely a variety of explanations/sources for that feeling.

Your speculations about diversity in the two respective regions are interesting. It would be intriguing to look at statistics for each in terms of where various ethnic groups reside; how segregated the regions - and specific cities and towns within them - are, etc. Of course, tourism skews the actual experience, at least in Manhattan and San Francisco proper - part of the feeling of diversity, at least in areas popular with tourists, results from their presence.
Alright, no problem. I know what you mean... I guess there could be an argument for "vibrancy" which is a little hard to define, and SF certainly has that amongst it's features. I think the statistic we would probably need however is neighborhood foot traffic. In the summer months I definitely think Chicago and Philadelphia both eclipse SF in terms of vibrancy, though... I guess the others could be argued depending on what neighborhoods you are talking about have that NYesque feeling to them.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Just remembered that tomorrow is the ten year anniversary of terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 which shattered not only families and New York, but also pierced the heart and soul of an entire nation.

In these times of economic unsurety and political turmoil, just wanted to take a moment to thank God for seeing us through the obstacles that seek to divide us as well offer a humble message to our superlative city, the place that perhaps above all others, most embodies the indominable hope and spirit of this, the land of the free and home of the brave.

And so, in the most NorCal way possible...

God Bless America.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,886 times
I have lived in both and it is absurd to think that New York City is better than San Francisco Bay.
a) San Francisco Bay area land is bigger than New York City. NYC inflates numbers. Manhattan is 1.6 million ,and they they use the name tristate because the states in the East are all small.
b) Stanford, UCSF and Berkeley are by far better universities than NYU( what is that,lol) oh it is a school close to the village that has only one program in the top ten and Columbia. Very disappointing experience. Columbia does not have as many programs as the San Francisco Bay are ones in the top 5 or top 10. Columbia rankings tend to be from 6 to 42 while Berkeley and Stanford academics are always in the top 10.. and 80% of Columbia students are not from NY. Mostly other places in the world, states and from CA. UCSF is by far a better medical school than Columbia and Pacific University of Dental School is number 2 in the country( In San Francisco)
c) I live in NY and I cant wait to move back . I see rats everywhere crossing the streets and parks while San Francisco dont have these problems. NY has mosquitos and roaches everywhere, especially in the summer.
d) SF bay area has many more cities that are interesting while NY only has Manhattan with a population of only 1.6 million people. YES> New Yorkers like to inflate their number. Brooklying and Queens have both 2.5 million each,making them bigger than Manhattan, yet Brookly and QUeens are all suburbian.
A funny thing about NY is how primitive and old it looks in comparison to the all SF Bay area. California neighborhoods are clean ,well design while NY 's are like living in a third world country. Every time I go to Queens or Brooklyn all I see is just just all apartments and small houses that look as old as the first time when they were made. Their light system for streets is the one they got rid of in CA about 15 years ago. I noticed when I travel back and forth that their technology adoption methods is always at least 5 years behind SF> For example, subway in SF has screens that says where the train is and there are phone apps that tell where buses are. The bus stops in SF all have screens with times and bus stop in NY, well as old as NY. They are trying to invest in things(MTA) that SF bay area already had for years.
d) Incomes. SF bay area incomes are far higher than the average NYC residents. While San Fransisco enjoys by far a better and healthier lifestyle than New Yorkers, New Yorkers live in these tiny apts by comparison. Their income withe exception of CEO's in Wall Street tend to be slightly, yet less than what the incomes are in SF Bay Area.
e) Lifestyles; Yes San Francisco Bay area offers by far more nature and more parks than NYC. More room in the streets and buildings are newer with Architecture that allows people to walk in gardens and green spaces within the city. In NY everyone is thrown in the sidewalk. No wonder why we are stress and no place to sit. In addition, there is no room to park because the city is old and they built the blocks sizes before cars. Walking is exhausting and you get accomplish half or what you can do with a car. I do less things in Manhattan because I dont longer have a car and have two walk to buy groceries, for this for that.and it gets tired. Manhattan streets are one way while avenues are 5 lanes. It is only 13 avenues and many streets going up and down. NY parks are mostly enclose with bars around them, so you can look at grass but you cant walk on it.With the few parks here some allow it. I am scared to enter most of them with the exception of the artificial Central Park. The park lacks natural beauty and it has some fountains and some nice things that kind of make up for the lack of nature of Manhattan. Yet, it is artificial, rats are around it and closes at 1 or 2. Yes, ,all parks in NYC closes at 1 AM. Why? because of the dont trust the New Yorkers to behave.They will have drugs, sex and homeless in those parks;hence they try to control it by closing them. In San Francisco Bay area, nature is just everywhere and the parks are more beautiful. Napa Valley, Calistoga, Sonoma, Muir Woods, Santa Cruz and many more places that are by far prettier than anything in NYC can offer. Parks in SF are everywhere and cleaner than here in NY. I am not afraid to sit in Dolores park but I am afraid to sit on the grass of any NY park(rats, mices, roaches, mosquito, you name it.)
e) Nightlife. I came to NYC and it is not what it use to be in the 80's. EVerything in NY closes at 4 pm and not afterhours except for maybe long holidays. In San Francisco there are clubs open until 6 am every weekend and a couple like Monroes and End up that dont close. IN addition NY is an artsy city.
f) All you hear here actors. and grumpy people. People that come from somewhere and cant manage the city. THe city of Manhattan is claustrophobic and the land is quite small. Obviously people from the other surrounding cites come in train to work because there is really not much out of Manhattan. I can say the New York state is only Manhattan while California State has so much more, bigger, most population and yes, 2012 the economy is bigger than all NEW YORK.
SF Bay area belongs to something bigger than just the Bay Area, that belong to California, a state than still the biggest economy of the US while NY is also fighting as well, economy problems.

g) Manhattan is the dirties city in the US> they put trash on the sidewalk and leave there while rats make a feast of it. This is disgusting and you deal with this every day. When you look all the tiny businesses in the city , their space is so small and old that makes Manhattan look like third world country with buildings. That is how I describe it. 5th avenue cute businesses only go from 59ths to 5oth and everything down is just not impressive. Madison has some nice businesses that look like California for 12 blocks only . The rest of NY is just a jungle of concrete with small, old spaces.
I can keep going but I have better things to do than wasting my time on this.
At the end. San Francisco Bay are is by far prettier, wealthier, nicer, newer, cleaner with a healthier lifestyle. They have happier people. I cant wait until the day the leave NYC to never come back to the East. Unless I have to see some family.:-)

Old 10-21-2012, 09:55 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Who doesn't have bbq, soul food, Jamican, Chinese etc.

And NYC has the best Jamaican food outside of Jamaica, and maybe London.
California cuisine, which gave rise to the New American restaurant movement across the nation started in the Bay Area. This style of fine dining has done more to change restaurants and people's tastes (even in New York) over the past 15-20 years than any single ethnic food variety. Look at the Food channel or any of the cooking shows. Most are heavily influenced by the principles of New American (California Cuisine) cooking.

We probably shouldn't start in again on Mission-style burritos. I'll spare everyone that topic. But what about Cioppino? What about the credibility of American wine? What about sourdough bread? And has anyone in NYC ever ordered a Martini?

To clarify, I do love NY. I don't, however, wish SF were more like NY. I like them both just as they are and I choose to live in SF, as it is the better urban environment for my tastes.

Last edited by dalparadise; 10-21-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 09:44 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicisright View Post
I have lived in both and it is absurd to think that New York City is better than San Francisco Bay.
a) San Francisco Bay area land is bigger than New York City. NYC inflates numbers. Manhattan is 1.6 million ,and they they use the name tristate because the states in the East are all small.
b) Stanford, UCSF and Berkeley are by far better universities than NYU( what is that,lol) oh it is a school close to the village that has only one program in the top ten and Columbia. Very disappointing experience. Columbia does not have as many programs as the San Francisco Bay are ones in the top 5 or top 10. Columbia rankings tend to be from 6 to 42 while Berkeley and Stanford academics are always in the top 10.. and 80% of Columbia students are not from NY. Mostly other places in the world, states and from CA. UCSF is by far a better medical school than Columbia and Pacific University of Dental School is number 2 in the country( In San Francisco)
c) I live in NY and I cant wait to move back . I see rats everywhere crossing the streets and parks while San Francisco dont have these problems. NY has mosquitos and roaches everywhere, especially in the summer.
d) SF bay area has many more cities that are interesting while NY only has Manhattan with a population of only 1.6 million people. YES> New Yorkers like to inflate their number. Brooklying and Queens have both 2.5 million each,making them bigger than Manhattan, yet Brookly and QUeens are all suburbian.
A funny thing about NY is how primitive and old it looks in comparison to the all SF Bay area. California neighborhoods are clean ,well design while NY 's are like living in a third world country. Every time I go to Queens or Brooklyn all I see is just just all apartments and small houses that look as old as the first time when they were made. Their light system for streets is the one they got rid of in CA about 15 years ago. I noticed when I travel back and forth that their technology adoption methods is always at least 5 years behind SF> For example, subway in SF has screens that says where the train is and there are phone apps that tell where buses are. The bus stops in SF all have screens with times and bus stop in NY, well as old as NY. They are trying to invest in things(MTA) that SF bay area already had for years.
d) Incomes. SF bay area incomes are far higher than the average NYC residents. While San Fransisco enjoys by far a better and healthier lifestyle than New Yorkers, New Yorkers live in these tiny apts by comparison. Their income withe exception of CEO's in Wall Street tend to be slightly, yet less than what the incomes are in SF Bay Area.
e) Lifestyles; Yes San Francisco Bay area offers by far more nature and more parks than NYC. More room in the streets and buildings are newer with Architecture that allows people to walk in gardens and green spaces within the city. In NY everyone is thrown in the sidewalk. No wonder why we are stress and no place to sit. In addition, there is no room to park because the city is old and they built the blocks sizes before cars. Walking is exhausting and you get accomplish half or what you can do with a car. I do less things in Manhattan because I dont longer have a car and have two walk to buy groceries, for this for that.and it gets tired. Manhattan streets are one way while avenues are 5 lanes. It is only 13 avenues and many streets going up and down. NY parks are mostly enclose with bars around them, so you can look at grass but you cant walk on it.With the few parks here some allow it. I am scared to enter most of them with the exception of the artificial Central Park. The park lacks natural beauty and it has some fountains and some nice things that kind of make up for the lack of nature of Manhattan. Yet, it is artificial, rats are around it and closes at 1 or 2. Yes, ,all parks in NYC closes at 1 AM. Why? because of the dont trust the New Yorkers to behave.They will have drugs, sex and homeless in those parks;hence they try to control it by closing them. In San Francisco Bay area, nature is just everywhere and the parks are more beautiful. Napa Valley, Calistoga, Sonoma, Muir Woods, Santa Cruz and many more places that are by far prettier than anything in NYC can offer. Parks in SF are everywhere and cleaner than here in NY. I am not afraid to sit in Dolores park but I am afraid to sit on the grass of any NY park(rats, mices, roaches, mosquito, you name it.)
e) Nightlife. I came to NYC and it is not what it use to be in the 80's. EVerything in NY closes at 4 pm and not afterhours except for maybe long holidays. In San Francisco there are clubs open until 6 am every weekend and a couple like Monroes and End up that dont close. IN addition NY is an artsy city.
f) All you hear here actors. and grumpy people. People that come from somewhere and cant manage the city. THe city of Manhattan is claustrophobic and the land is quite small. Obviously people from the other surrounding cites come in train to work because there is really not much out of Manhattan. I can say the New York state is only Manhattan while California State has so much more, bigger, most population and yes, 2012 the economy is bigger than all NEW YORK.
SF Bay area belongs to something bigger than just the Bay Area, that belong to California, a state than still the biggest economy of the US while NY is also fighting as well, economy problems.

g) Manhattan is the dirties city in the US> they put trash on the sidewalk and leave there while rats make a feast of it. This is disgusting and you deal with this every day. When you look all the tiny businesses in the city , their space is so small and old that makes Manhattan look like third world country with buildings. That is how I describe it. 5th avenue cute businesses only go from 59ths to 5oth and everything down is just not impressive. Madison has some nice businesses that look like California for 12 blocks only . The rest of NY is just a jungle of concrete with small, old spaces.
I can keep going but I have better things to do than wasting my time on this.
At the end. San Francisco Bay are is by far prettier, wealthier, nicer, newer, cleaner with a healthier lifestyle. They have happier people. I cant wait until the day the leave NYC to never come back to the East. Unless I have to see some family.:-)
Won't respond to the whole post, but I'm sorry you aren't enjoying NYC that much. I think your problem is that you're fixated on Manhattan, and likely just a portion of Manhattan. There is beautiful scenery and parks outside of Manhattan (and even parts within Manhattan such as around Inwood and Washington Heights) even within the outer boroughs themselves. Also, the perception that Brooklyn and Queens are suburbia is inaccurate and it seems so unlikely that someone familiar with NYC and other parts of the US would claim so. Brooklyn and Queens have a lot of cultural offerings and significantly more personal space.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Won't respond to the whole post, but I'm sorry you aren't enjoying NYC that much. I think your problem is that you're fixated on Manhattan, and likely just a portion of Manhattan. There is beautiful scenery and parks outside of Manhattan (and even parts within Manhattan such as around Inwood and Washington Heights) even within the outer boroughs themselves. Also, the perception that Brooklyn and Queens are suburbia is inaccurate and it seems so unlikely that someone familiar with NYC and other parts of the US would claim so. Brooklyn and Queens have a lot of cultural offerings and significantly more personal space.
Haha... if Brooklyn and Queens are suburbs, then they must be the densest suburbs I've ever seen.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Haha... if Brooklyn and Queens are suburbs, then they must be the densest suburbs I've ever seen.
They are suburbs within the NYC border with an urban look, feel, and density (sans one or two queens neighborhoods).

Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
They are suburbs within the NYC border with an urban look, feel, and density (sans one or two queens neighborhoods).
LOL!

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:16 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post

C-D always delivers

there's more going on in queens than the entire bay area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City