Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area overall offers more?
Bay Area 80 28.07%
NYC 184 64.56%
Tie 21 7.37%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Jersey City has everything Oakland has, and better public transit. I don't really feel like going on and on, but your a fool if you think the Bay Area can compare to NYC, or that NYC is surrounded by nothing.

San Jose is boring and suburban, and Oakland is nothing more than a glorified ghetto suburb.

We can all agree that they're both better than Philly though right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, but how should we trust anything you say at all? How do you know what is and is not comparable? What do you know about the metro?

If you're going to go on about how East Coast homers probably have little or no experience with the Bay Area, then make sure you at least got the flip side covered yourself.

This section of the forum is full of homers and boosters. Thats it. Thats all. Alot of people automatically vote NYC no matter what the poll is.

The truth is that these are probably two most exciting metros in the nation. New York is of course the beast that it is, but the Bay Area has very different and spectacular things to offer.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:23 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Jersey City has everything Oakland has, and better public transit. I don't really feel like going on and on, but your a fool if you think the Bay Area can compare to NYC, or that NYC is surrounded by nothing.

San Jose is boring and suburban, and Oakland is nothing more than a glorified ghetto suburb.

For someone who's never been to Oakland or the bay area for that matter you seem to be an expert Never mind that calling Oakland a "glorified ghetto suburb" is about as truthful as calling Brooklyn a "glorified ghetto suburb".

Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I'm expecting you can give a better comparison of Hudson and Oakland since you've seen both. I have an aunt in Hoboken but I've never been there. Are they similar at all?
Much better mass transit, and a surprisingly good music scene. I also have a friend who lives on twentieth floor of a waterfront condominium and the views of Manhattan are amazing. It feels denser and more vibrant than most of Oakland, and I mostly like that.

They are similar in being diverse and a bit poorer and more rundown than their wealthy neighbor across the water.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
We can all agree that they're both better than Philly though right?
Nope, Given it's location, Philly does not have an equivalent in the entire nation, possibly the world. The perfect base for a wall street political lobbyist, right between the richest city and the most powerful city in the world. Not to mention Philly was the original model from which many American cities(including San Francisco) were designed. Philly easily has the most to see and do within a hundred mile radious, and is the second most vibrant city within a 1 mile radious of it's core. I could go on, but I'll stop.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Nope, Given it's location, Philly does not have an equivalent in the entire nation, possibly the world. The perfect base for a wall street political lobbyist, right between the richest city and the most powerful city in the world. Not to mention Philly was the original model from which many American cities(including San Francisco) were designed. Philly easily has the most to see and do within a hundred mile radious.

Talk about a coat tail rider, lol. So Phillys greatness is based on it being close to DC and NYC? Thats funny.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:31 PM

This look ghetto to you?

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9180/dsc02121kk.jpg (broken link)

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7164/dsc01688f.jpg (broken link)

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1856/dsc01970e0.jpg (broken link)

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/3930/dsc01029.jpg (broken link)

I'm not going to continue because you're plain wrong. Anybody who's been to Oakland can tell you that.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:33 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Talk about a coat tail rider, lol. So Phillys greatness is based on it being close to DC and NYC? Thats funny.
It's a top five city in and of itself, that coupled with it's location puts it over the top.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 PM

48 posts, read 158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yes, I have left the bay area. I've been to:

IL (Chicago)
IN (Gary)
FL (Miami & Gainesville)
DC
OK (OKC)
MO (KC)
MD (Baltimore)
NV (Las Vegas)
AZ (Phoenix)
VA

and NYC when I was five. I've been in every region of the country other than the south unless you count FL or northern VA.

How many of you have ventured out to the west coast? I'm assuming you have because of your username.

Now I understand how you can make this thread and still have a straight face.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Much better mass transit, and a surprisingly good music scene. I also have a friend who lives on twentieth floor of a waterfront condominium and the views of Manhattan are amazing. It feels denser and more vibrant than most of Oakland, and I mostly like that.

They are similar in being diverse and a bit poorer and more rundown than their wealthy neighbor across the water.

Oakland isn't more run down than SF. The most run down areas of SF - ie the projects - are considerably more run down than their counterparts in Oakland. You can arguably get the best views of the entire bay area from the Oakland Hills and Jack London Square. Oakland is no slouch in the music department... West Oakland was known for its Blues and Jazz scene and currently Oakland is known for its gigantic hip hop scene. Oakland has the largest artist scene on the west coast...

Oakland is by far the most underrated city in the bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City