Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Philadelphia 243 41.12%
Los Angeles 315 53.30%
Neither 33 5.58%
Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:37 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Again, I'm not saying a car free lifestyle is impossible in DTLA, just that it's not as easy to do as it is in Center City.... are you saying it's just as easy? You can't be that big of a homer.
You really never answered as to why it's easier. Maybe your definition of 'easier' is different from mine. Thousands live in DTLA living car free lives happily. Everything you mentioned is done here. Take it from me who actually lives here. I never said anything about DTLA being better but you and a few others seem to make that point well known that it's not. But again, who cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 07:54 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
DTLA will never be as "nice" as Center City as far as walkable urbanism is concerned, but I don't see why that matters.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
DTLA will never be as "nice" as Center City as far as walkable urbanism is concerned, but I don't see why that matters.
Well, it won't be as quaint and historic nor have that tight street grid, but it's possible for it to have more residents (some of which would be families with children which is really rare now), retail, jobs, and people walking on the streets and to have filled out its surface parking lots. I think DTLA a decade from now will have something like the equivalent of what Center City has now in those terms given the current rate of development and the planned transit improvements and that's a really rapid rate of improvement.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-14-2017 at 09:32 AM..

Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, it won't be as quaint and historic nor have that tight street grid, but it's possible for it to have more residents (some of which would be families with children which is really rare now), retail, jobs, and people walking on the streets and to have filled out its surface parking lots. I think DTLA a decade from now will have something like the equivalent of what Center City has now in those terms given the current rate of development and the planned transit improvements and that's a really rapid rate of improvement.
Brickell could very well have a larger population than City Center in 20 years time.

I think the buildout of CC will always make it "better" than DTLA for people who enjoy walkable urbanism. It enjoys a mix of uses unlike anywhere in the U.S. outside of Manhattan. But the CBD is only one aspect of a city and there are several reasons to prefer L.A. over Philly. I just don't think L.A.'s downtown will ever be one of those reasons.

In time, I could see DTLA shaping up more like Downtown DC, which isn't shabby by any stretch.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-14-2017 at 02:11 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 02:29 PM

74 posts, read 64,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That guy's post was obviously ridiculous.

I think people say that in reference to how it doesn't feel like it has a real urban center which isn't quite true. It just has a much smaller urban center than expected for a metropolis of its size and that urban center was truly dull and empty for several decades.

Comparing it to a borough is kind of sad as it's like comparing it to just a part of a city. It is populous though!

You meant 50 square miles. 850k people in a 50 mile radius wouldn't be very much density.
Yes i meant 50 sq miles of course,

And i compared it to a borough because each New York borough is actually a County.

So im really comparing L.A city to New York Counties,
Instead of L.A County vs other cities

Old 11-14-2017, 02:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Again, I'm not saying a car free lifestyle is impossible in DTLA, just that it's not as easy to do as it is in Center City.... are you saying it's just as easy? You can't be that big of a homer.
A car filled lifestyle is much easier than a car free one.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:51 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
That depends on the location. If you live work and play in the same area then a car is a hassle and not needed. I live in Midtown Manhattan and was so happy to get rid of my car. If I live out in the burbs then yes a car is a blessing.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:53 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:
Disagree 100%. I live in Center City and just sold my car. My life is instantly better without one.

Granted, we still keep one car for when we want to get out of the city, visit our families, etc.... but man I don't miss it one bit.

Sooo, definitely depends where you're living.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:02 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCurry View Post
Yes i meant 50 sq miles of course,

And i compared it to a borough because each New York borough is actually a County.

So im really comparing L.A city to New York Counties,
Instead of L.A County vs other cities
The counties are ceremonial for the most part. I’m pretty sure there was only one other poster in recent times on this board who thought this was a reasonable argument.

Quote:
I left LA mainly because of that train of thought, so we are not all agreed on this.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That depends on the location. If you live work and play in the same area then a car is a hassle and not needed. I live in Midtown Manhattan and was so happy to get rid of my car. If I live out in the burbs then yes a car is a blessing.
I'm way to impulsive for that. To get to a restaurant across town, head to a beach or venue without having to rely on transit. Weekend trips etc etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City