Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami or Atlanta?
Miami 52 43.70%
Atlanta 59 49.58%
tie 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 01:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldian View Post
Atlanta is a lot blacker than Houston IMO, esp downtown. Go into Five Points for instance and it will be almost entirely black. Big difference.
There aren't blacks in downtown Houston? That has more to do with Atlanta being more accessible, thanks to MARTA. There's a lot of activity catering to the masses in downtown Atlanta versus Houston. Technically, the former is blacker than the latter, but there are more than enough blacks in both. I'm just not one to exaggerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 06:23 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
There aren't blacks in downtown Houston? That has more to do with Atlanta being more accessible, thanks to MARTA. There's a lot of activity catering to the masses in downtown Atlanta versus Houston. Technically, the former is blacker than the latter, but there are more than enough blacks in both. I'm just not one to exaggerate.
I dunno, maybe it has changed some. There are several areas close to DT in Atlanta that are almost solid black, I'm talking 90%+ of people on the street. I didn't see that in Houston, but admittedly I haven't explored Houston as much as I have Atlanta. If you go to Midtown or Buckhead though, it's a diff story.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I dunno, maybe it has changed some. There are several areas close to DT in Atlanta that are almost solid black, I'm talking 90%+ of people on the street. I didn't see that in Houston, but admittedly I haven't explored Houston as much as I have Atlanta. If you go to Midtown or Buckhead though, it's a diff story.
Do you mean the poorer areas around downtown Atlanta? If so, then it is similar in Houston, except that there would be more Hispanics. But I would guess that central Houston is anywhere from 30 to 40% black. The recent waves of Latino immigrants is manipulating the demographics of the metro, but blacks still have a very large presence in the city.

But this isn't about Houston, so let me stop getting off topic.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Do you mean the poorer areas around downtown Atlanta? If so, then it is similar in Houston, except that there would be more Hispanics. But I would guess that central Houston is anywhere from 30 to 40% black. The recent waves of Latino immigrants is manipulating the demographics of the metro, but blacks still have a very large presence in the city.

But this isn't about Houston, so let me stop getting off topic.
I've walked into Five points and every person around was black, maybe 20-30 people on the streets. If you go over towards Sweet Auburn it's similar.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:35 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,625 times
I've been to Atlanta and while everyone is very chill in Atlanta, Miami for me is just a much more fun and vibrant city. I love the vibe and weather down in Miami. It just has a lot more going for it, and it's more diverse. Go Miami!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
I've walked into Five points and every person around was black, maybe 20-30 people on the streets. If you go over towards Sweet Auburn it's similar.
True, but unfortunately, a good chunk of that population are homeless/vagrants...but not all. Other parts of downtown are more mixed, like more towards GSU and Pemberton Place.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:36 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Metro Atlanta has around 1.7 million blacks, correct? Well, Houston has recently passed the 1 million mark. Personally, I don't see that being as huge a difference as you're making it. It's fair to say that both cities have a lot of blacks.
Yes it's fair to say both cities have a lot blacks, to get that out the way but there's a big difference in the number of blacks in Atlanta to Houston, If Houston has a million blacks and Atlanta has 1.7 million blacks, Atlanta has 70% more blacks than Houston.

Quote:
Having lived in both, I've never noticed an unusual amount of racial tension in either. The most noticeable difference is that blacks are more "evenly" distributed across metro Houston than they are in Atlanta. And people of different races seemed more willing to live next to each other. You don't have that "south of I-20" stigma in Houston that exists in Atlanta, or Dallas for that matter.
The racial tension debate is silly to me they're talking about white fight, and what happen before a least the 80s.

Anyways, North of I-20 besides Cherokee and Forsyth county, many of the cities and suburban counties are 15% to 30% black actually that's generally how the Houston metro areas is with blacks. Again Atlanta has 70% more blacks, So there's going to be more areas that's majority black in Atlanta than Houston. That's like saying there's more Hispanic areas in Houston than Atlanta.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True, but unfortunately, a good chunk of that population are homeless/vagrants...but not all. Other parts of downtown are more mixed, like more towards GSU and Pemberton Place.
Yep, that was all I was saying. I just thought it was weird was all when I first saw it, as I wasn't expecting it to be like that. And as I said, yeah, other parts are way more mixed.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

The racial tension debate is silly to me they're talking about white fight, and what happen before a least the 80s.

Anyways, North of I-20 besides Cherokee and Forsyth county, many of the cities and suburban counties are 15% to 30% black actually that's generally how the Houston metro areas is with blacks. Again Atlanta has 70% more blacks, So there's going to be more areas that's majority black in Atlanta than Houston. That's like saying there's more Hispanic areas in Houston than Atlanta.
That doesn't have much to do with the fact that one part of the metro is largely concentrated with one race, though. By and large, Houston is a more integrated city than Atlanta. There's really no way around that fact. Even the slight polarization of blacks and whites (north and south) in Atlanta doesn't exist in Houston.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
When did Miami turn into Houston?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City