Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 149 60.32%
Dallas-Fort Worth 98 39.68%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:46 PM

101 posts, read 275,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
Ok I'll be striaght up honest.

I just don't like Texas or Dallas for that matter.

Boston has ocean, liberal mindset, beauty, and is close to NYC and NJ. I believe Boston is more widely known than Dallas. I also prefer the East Coast, West Coast, and Hawaii over Texas.

We're done. Moving on.
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 04:17 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
It is totally fine to not like Dallas or Texas and prefer other places. Different strokes, different folks. And Boston certainly has many things that Dallas can't even offer, like waterfronts.

But you probably shouldn't make up lies to support your preferences, such as Boston being ghetto/crime free while Dallas isn't.

And I still don't get why you quoted a post asking two specific questions and then proceeded to ignore the two questions. That's just weird.
Boston has everything that Dallas wishes had. Boston has great schools. It has easy access to the best city in the world, NYC, Boston is more urban. Also, Boston has one of the world's finest inpatient hospitals. I will be better off living in Boston than Dallas, I would not want to die in a hospital of Dallas where the colleges in Dallas are not superior to Boston's. Better Education means that they are going to have better doctors.

Quote:
Hospitals such as Massachusetts General Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Brigham and Women's Hospital lead the nation in medical innovation and patient care.
Also Boston is more safe than Dallas. Boston has seen a great reduction in violent crime since the early 1990s thanks to the police in Boston.

In 2003:

Dallas

Murder: 226
Forcible Rape:601
Robbery: 7,963
Aggravated Assault: 8,075
Burglary:21,927
Larceny or Theft: 58,554
Car Theft:17,419
Arson: 1,301

Boston

Murder: 39
Forcible Rape: 262
Robbery: 2,759
Aggravated Assault:4,113
Burglary:4,344
Larceny or Theft: 17,069
Car Theft: 6,463
Arson: 0

I'm sorry but Boston wins.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-16-2011 at 07:05 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
^^^But it is not more diverse (which you said it was). Looking at the data and weighing all ethnicities equally, it cant possibly be. I just wanted one of you who claimed that it was to tell me why you thought it was. The only thing Boston has over Dallas is their large European community:

Boston Metro Area:

Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009

White: 77%
Hispanic: 8.3%
Black: 6.4%
Asian: 5.9%

Dallas/Fort Worth:

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2009

White: 51.2%
Hispanic: 29%
Black: 13.8%
Asian: 4.9%

Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Murder Information:
Dallas: 11.4/100K
Boston: 11.5/100K

They're practically the same, neither is more crime ridden than the other. If anything, for the sake of statistics, Dallas is just slightly by a hair, just very slightly safer than Boston. As for 2010. I saw someone use these charts just the other day, thought they were pretty neat, so I held on to them myself.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:09 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal44 View Post
I've never lived in Boston, just visited. I've lived in Big D. According to my list, they tie, but if I had to choose to move to one of them, I would choose Boston for it's history, scenery, quaintness and proximity to NYC and Cape Cod/Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard--some of the most amazing places I've ever visited. Texas just doesn't have anything like that. Plus I like Massachusette's liberal/accepting attitudes. Of course, Dallas is extremely liveable and inexpensive, thus their population explosion. But give me Boston/East Coast anyday over Texas. (BTW, if there was a skyline category, Dallas all the way! Is it just me, or does it seem like no one talks about what an awesome cityscape Dallas has?)
You are not supposed to like anything about Dallas!! It is inferior to anywhere older.

As for the people putting Boston nightlife ahead of Dallas' they really need to go out in Dallas sometime then.
The gay scene alone in Dallas blows away anything Boston offers and as for the straight clubs theres a much more diverse mix of club/bar scenes in Dallas that stay open into laaaaaaaate hours of night. Don't the bars in Boston close freakishly early?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Murder Information:

They're practically the same, neither is more crime ridden than the other. If anything, for the sake of statistics, Dallas is just slightly by a hair, just very slightly safer than Boston. As for 2010. I saw someone use these charts just the other day, thought they were pretty neat, so I held on to them myself.
I was actually about to mention that about the murder stats...though to be fair, this is a pretty large spike in murders for Boston and it's the lowest amount of murders in Dallas since 1967. I wish there was a way to get the totals for the metro. I'm not sure about Dallas, but with the exception of a few of the inner-Northern suburbs and the old mill towns (Lowell & Lawrence), there is very little crime in the greater Boston area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
You are not supposed to like anything about Dallas!! It is inferior to anywhere older.

As for the people putting Boston nightlife ahead of Dallas' they really need to go out in Dallas sometime then.
The gay scene alone in Dallas blows away anything Boston offers and as for the straight clubs theres a much more diverse mix of club/bar scenes in Dallas that stay open into laaaaaaaate hours of night. Don't the bars in Boston close freakishly early?
Yea unfortunately bars close at 2 in Boston.

As for which has the better nightlife, I guess it's all what you're into. What exactly does Dallas specialize in? I know electronic music is supposed to be big there. Boston has a pretty diverse mix of stuff.

Edit: Just looked it up and apparently most bars in Dallas close at about the same time? So I guess it's not that freakishly early.

Double Edit: Why does Boston always get this rep of "closing insanely early" even though most others stop serving at 2 or 3am? It's not like the bars close at 10pm here. Is it since we're pretty close to New York? If you're from NYC, I can understand the outrage...but nowhere else (ehhh, maybe Chicago).

Last edited by tmac9wr; 01-31-2011 at 07:53 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Murder Information:

Sorry DANNY but if you compared 385 square miles of central Metro Boston with Dallas's 385 square miles in the city limits, Boston's murder rate would drop to something like 2 per 100,000 of population. Maybe even less.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
It's a lot more vibrant than Dallas. Dallas is in landlocked prairie. I would hate living there. I can usually put up with heat but the heat in Texas and Dallas is way too much added in with the ridiculous humidity levels and gross bugs.

Boston has the ocean, closeness to NYC and NJ, history, liberal politics, but most importantly it's not in Texas. I'd move to anywhere on the West Coast and East Coast before I'd move to Texas.
What bugs? Please name them.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea unfortunately bars close at 2 in Boston.

As for which has the better nightlife, I guess it's all what you're into. What exactly does Dallas specialize in? I know electronic music is supposed to be big there. Boston has a pretty diverse mix of stuff.

Edit: Just looked it up and apparently most bars in Dallas close at about the same time? So I guess it's not that freakishly early.

Double Edit: Why does Boston always get this rep of "closing insanely early" even though most others stop serving at 2 or 3am? It's not like the bars close at 10pm here. Is it since we're pretty close to New York? If you're from NYC, I can understand the outrage...but nowhere else (ehhh, maybe Chicago).
At the end of the day, it doesnt matter. Both Dallas and Boston are major cities with tons of nightlife options. Are dance clubs, bars, and gay bars that hugely different between cities?

I would say that if you find yourself bored with the nightlife in either or Dallas or Boston, they should get out more.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:22 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
I tend to agree with that mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City