Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the best downtown?
Baltimore 64 82.05%
San Jose 14 17.95%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:55 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times

Advertisements

Just being realistic and getting info from actual New Yorkers. Remember, I didn't make this up. The New Yorkers, who have been to San Jose, said San Jose is nicer than New York and easier to have fun. If you guys want to lash out, blame the New Yorkers, lol. I just happen to agree with the New Yorkers I've talked to or just heard them on the press. San Jose wins hands down because of its climate, Silicon Valley, leaisure, downtown and its good quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Just being realistic and getting info from actual New Yorkers. Remember, I didn't make this up. The New Yorkers, who have been to San Jose, said San Jose is nicer than New York and easier to have fun. If you guys want to lash out, blame the New Yorkers, lol. I just happen to agree with the New Yorkers I've talked to or just heard them on the press. San Jose wins hands down because of its climate, Silicon Valley, leaisure, downtown and its good quality of life.
yea off coarse they did. The only new yorkers who would say such a thing are the ones who never left their houses in this big city which would make sense seeing how dead and boring downtown jose looks.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
You're still arguing with someone whose goal is to make you mad. How pathetic.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 PM

Baltimore and San Jose have some scummy and grimy buildings, too. That's all that matters here.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Jon Smith, you got to be there to feel how good Dt. San Jose is. Everything you need in a few block area. In Manhattan, you have to go to the whole borough to find what you need. San Jose is better than NY and Baltimore, IMO!

Old 02-16-2011, 04:09 PM

San Jose has a nicer downtown, while Baltimore has more of rundown downtown. Baltimore is working on improving its downtown. Give it 10 years, and then it will rival San Jose's.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Smith View Post
No, I know this from using your spot as a starting point, and "exploring" the downtown using Google Streetview, as well as the "straight-down" view of Google Maps (which will have most stores/restaurants tagged), as well as sjdowntown.com, which shows just how few stores there are in the entire downtown.

Don't show me a picture with two pedestrians despite obviously being taken during daytime and tell me it's "pedestrian friendly". Because it's not.
Your opinion is based on what is marked on Google maps? You realize there is no official authority on those labels, right? I guess I shouldn't be shocked on these forums. I am looking at Baltimore on Google maps right now and trying to find an abundance of labels (the truest signs of life, culture, entertainment, etc.) and not seeing a ton. Then again, I've actually been to Baltimore and I know the downtown offers more than what I see on a computer screen.

Go back to writing your book report with Wikipedia.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM

Downtown shopping is not really a west coast thing, so it's stupid to single out San Jose for that. Only San Francisco has a couple stores in Union Square, but that's just novelty as there are two actual malls not far away. Downtowns are for smaller business, not Macy's and Sears. That's a seriously antiquated and backward concept. I would be ashamed if Target were actually downtown, eating up whole blocks of valuable space.

As for the photos, I'll take some in due time.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 PM

292 posts, read 752,438 times
JonSmith,

Plenty of West Coast cities have great downtown shopping vibrant downtowns: San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and San Diego. Even smaller West Coast cities like Palo Alto, Santa Barbara, Eugene, etc have vibrant downtowns with good shopping.

The first three listed above .especially all have more vibrant downtowns than just a handful of East Coast cities.

And while Im not fan a San Jose's nightlife scene, there are around 40+ bars in a relatively small area, which really isn't bad in terms of quantity. The quality isn't great, sure, but there a number of blocks packed with bars. That said, many San Jose residents go to other parts of the Bay Area (San Francisco, Oakland/Berkeley, Palo Alto, etc.) for nightlife or shopping.

Last edited by overunder12; 02-16-2011 at 05:33 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Smith View Post
That's all I was saying. So why are you getting your panties in a bunch when I suggest dt. San Jose has very few stores, very few restaurants, and very few bars/nightclubs. There aren't even a lot of cultural institutions like museums or performing arts venues. We are in agreement. There is very little to do in dt. San Jose. It's boring.
If you're honestly suggesting that all other activity is contingent upon the presence of huge department stores, then you're not fit for adult conversation.

Jesus Christ, I just checked the site you're bashing all of this on and it's bare bones. I wouldn't be surprised if the only places listed are paying for the 'privilege.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City