Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 03:29 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Not true at all. Well, it really depends on the area. Where i was there (Garment District, Fashion district, Toy District..etc) It was Packed! It was hard to get through the crowd of people.

People really underrate the Downtown LA area imo.
Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I really thought Downtown LA was dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 03:33 PM

896 posts, read 1,168,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
In what ways are they different?
Vibrancy, and building stock to name a few

Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I thought Downtown LA wasn't vibrant. (According to what I've heard from the people that live in LA)
It's always been vibrant, but not very upscale. The area needs work there. It also lacked nightlife, although that's changed now, quite dramatically. It's also a lot bigger than people think.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:45 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Vibrancy, and building stock to name a few
Haven't spent much time in Houston, so I can't speak to the overall vibrancy of it. I don't think Houston and LA are that similar either.

I think Denver is very close, unfortunately a lot of their historic buildings have been demolished, but compare this: los angeles, ca - Google Maps with this: http://g.co/maps/9z36c (oops.)
Same medium density mixed use. They actually look almost identical to me, other than I think there is more ground floor retail at the LA intersection.

Last edited by munchitup; 01-16-2012 at 04:02 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 04:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Interesting you don’t readily associate noir with Los Angeles. I guess that literary and film history gets washed out by the celebrity culture spotlight. Living here, it’s the other way around.
I guess I associate the 'noir' genre with old cities with narrow cobblestone streets, townhouses, that sort of thing. Paris, London, New York, Philadelphia. 'Cities of the night.' LA seems too sunny and modern on the surface. I do think a lot of that genre was set around LA simply because of the film industry and the intrigue of it.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I guess I associate the 'noir' genre with old cities with narrow cobblestone streets, townhouses, that sort of thing. Paris, London, New York, Philadelphia. 'Cities of the night.' LA seems too sunny and modern on the surface. I do think a lot of that genre was set around LA simply because of the film industry and the intrigue of it.
I get what you’re saying, at least with regard to film. But the works of Chandler​, Cain, West, Fante​, Bukowski​, Didion​, Mosley, MacDonald, Connelly​, Ellroy​ et al. are so associated with Los Angeles, I don’t know how they ever become uncoupled in the popular consciousness.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I get what you’re saying, at least with regard to film. But the works of Chandler​, Cain, West, Fante​, Bukowski​, Didion​, Mosley, MacDonald, Connelly​, Ellroy​ et al. are so associated with Los Angeles, I don’t know how they ever become uncoupled in the popular consciousness.

Yes, and add to your literary list the music of The Doors, X, Black Flag, NWA, and Guns N Roses. Not necessarily noir but there has long been a dark, seedy underbelly reflected in the city's homegrown popular music.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,288 times
Downtown Miami has 70,000 residents. Downtown LA is currently about 40,000.

Is the definition of Miami's downtown broader (or more generous) than LA's?

I realize Downtown LA's residential renaisance began later than many other cities but this statistic did surprise me.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Downtown LA is a lot busier than many people realize, and it's only getting better. I always see lots of comparisons to Houston, but I don't see it except for when viewing the main downtown skyline from afar. At street level they're very different. Houston doesn't have as large a stock of old office and apartment buildings in it's downtown area, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anywhere that's nearly as consistently crowded/vibrant as much of LA's old historic core is, and it seems to have less connectivity between downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
All this talk of film noir, and no mention at all of San Francisco? One of the earliest and most famous film noirs, The Maltese Falcon, was filmed in SF. It was a very prominent city in film noir, with the following films as far as I know taking place there, either completely or partially (yeah I'm kind of a Film Noir fan): the Maltese Falcon, Vertigo, The Lady From Shanghai, Dead On Arrival, Impact, Point Blank, Out of The Past, The House on Telegraph Hill, The Woman on Pier 13, House of Numbers, Escape in the Fog, The Raging Tide.

I would go so far as to say that after LA and NYC, SF was one of the most common film noir settings.

...but of course LA was the biggest filming locale for Noir (or any type of film), seeing as Hollywood is located there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise
Not necessarily noir but there has long been a dark, seedy underbelly reflected in the city's homegrown popular music.
You can say that about tons of cities. Every city has their homegrown gangster rappers like NWA, as well as other types of music that deal with "dark" subject matter. Hip Hop itself came from NYC. Seattle spawned grunge, The Bay Area and LA both gave rise to thrash metal, and The Bay, LA and NYC all played a big part in the development of Punk rock. What about the blues? That's often some dark, "seedy" and depressing music as well, and has roots all over the south. You also mentioned the Doors and Guns N Roses, but psychedelic and hard/classic rock are also far from being unique to LA.

Last edited by rah; 01-16-2012 at 08:04 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 08:45 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
The reason I picked Phoenix was not because they mirror each other, just google any downtown (insert city) streets and the one that resembled LA the most was Phoenix with Denver coming in second, when I did the same with Houston all I got was streets with office buildings/skyscrapers which is not what what I think of when thinking of DTLA, I mean of course DTLA has office buildings but that's not the part of downtown that is full of life, from afar Houston does resemble LA, but from a street POV it would be a mix of Phoenix and Denver.
Maybe that's what it looks like in photos and on streetview, but not in person. At least not to me. The mix of buildings looks completely different. Plus Phoenix is so much smaller that it's hard to even compare. It might be one of the downtown's that is least like downtown Los Angeles. Denver doesn't remind me of LA either. Not anymore than Atlanta, Pittsburgh, or any other random place.

I think that Dallas is much more like LA than Phoenix. And from what others have said, maybe Houston. Haven't been there to know for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City