Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 02:44 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The only part of dt Houston that remind me of dt LA somewhat is Louisiana St in dt Houston and Fig in dt LA. Both streets are on the western edge of each dt. Both are one way heading north. Both have some of the major skyscrapers and hotel or hotels. That is it imo. Sometimes certain streets look like Philly to me or Newark. In no way shape or form does it remind me of dt Seattle and I lived there for years. Nor dt Atlanta! Just my opinion.
I'm with you there, I have been to Seattle numerous times and I just don't see the similarities that everyone else tries to install, also for Houston like you said apart from the skyscraper portion they are nothing alike, I would disagree on the Philly comparison though, to me LA is a mixture of DT Phoenix mixed in with Denver only grittier, dirtier, and more urban and chaotic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Yea you're right don't listen to the rest of these guys this is what the grand majority of people not just in LA but the whole CSA live in
Saying grand majority is a massive overstatement. I'm sure you'll find hillier streets even in that pic than anything you'll find in Houston. SGV, SFV, the Westside, even parts of the O.C. are not pancake flat, and they're home to millions of people.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Saying grand majority is a massive overstatement. I'm sure you'll find hillier streets even in that pic than anything you'll find in Houston. SGV, SFV, the Westside, even parts of the O.C. are not pancake flat, and they're home to millions of people.
Are you telling me that 80% maybe even more of the total population do not live in the type of environment I posted? you need to remember that I am talking about total population and not land area, you also have to remember how low density the hilly parts of the metro are.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:08 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Are you telling me that 80% maybe even more of the total population do not live in the type of environment I posted? you need to remember that I am talking about total population and not land area, you also have to remember how low density the hilly parts of the metro are.
Somehow I ended up arguing that LA is not flat. I agree that the majority of the city is flat. The Eastside makes up most of the heavily populated hilly areas with Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Lincoln Heights, etc.

But, what makes LA different than Houston (or many other flat cities) is that it is surrounded by mountains. My neighborhood is generally flat (it slightly slopes downward but it is pretty gradual.), but one step out my front door are the Hollywood Hills, with Mt. Lee right there. Pretty much no matter where you are in the city you will have the view of some sort of hills or mountains.

But yeah it is a pretty flat city in lots of parts. I don't think that is a bad thing.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Somehow I ended up arguing that LA is not flat. I agree that the majority of the city is flat. The Eastside makes up most of the heavily populated hilly areas with Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Lincoln Heights, etc.

But, what makes LA different than Houston (or many other flat cities) is that it is surrounded by mountains. My neighborhood is generally flat (it slightly slopes downward but it is pretty gradual.), but one step out my front door are the Hollywood Hills, with Mt. Lee right there. Pretty much no matter where you are in the city you will have the view of some sort of hills or mountains.

But yeah it is a pretty flat city in lots of parts. I don't think that is a bad thing.
It's not a bad thing. Chicago and Miami is flat and they are also dense.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's not a bad thing. Chicago and Miami is flat and they are also dense.
It makes walking way easier. Boston isn't known as a hilly city by any means but my neighborhood in Brighton was, and it made walking to work a huge pain a lot of the time.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Yea you're right don't listen to the rest of these guys this is what the grand majority of people not just in LA but the whole CSA live in
Thanks CaliSon, at least you are being honest, unlike the rest of your fellow Californians on this board.

All it takes is a landing at LAX or a view from up in those mountains/hills to prove a large swath of the LA metro is, for the most part, flat just like Houston.

Like I said before, Hollywood fools a lot of people, even myself till the first time I flew out there then I was like......LA is flat? Really??? I had to do a double take on what I was actually seeing out the air plane window. Then driving through Carson City felt just like I was driving down Bellaire Blvd. in SW Houston.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Thanks CaliSon, at least you are being honest, unlike the rest of your fellow Californians on this board.

All it takes is a landing at LAX or a view from up in those mountains/hills to prove a large swath of the LA metro is, for the most part, flat just like Houston.

Like I said before, Hollywood fools a lot of people, even myself till the first time I flew out there then I was like......LA is flat? Really??? I had to do a double take on what I was actually seeing out the air plane window. Then driving through Carson City felt just like I was driving down Bellaire Blvd. in SW Houston.
Interestingly enough (and more relevant to the topic), Downtown Los Angeles is pretty hilly (for a downtown area). It used to be a lot more hilly before they chopped down Bunker Hill to make way for the modern skyscrapers, but there are still some hills. I'm not trying to say that it isn't flat, but there are some hilly stretches near the northwest end of downtown.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Even L.A.'s flattest areas are hillier than Houston's, and the neighborhoods L.A. is best known for are not flat at all, and they're significantly populated. L.A. is also much more developed and denser. Why even pretend that these cities have similar looks?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:00 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Even L.A.'s flattest areas are hillier than Houston's, and the neighborhoods L.A. is best known for are not flat at all, and they're significantly populated. L.A. is also much more developed and denser. Why even pretend that these cities have similar looks?
Yeah no resemblance at all is there?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City