Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The entire LA Basin is FLAT.

Why are you trying to hide that?

I'll let aerial photos of the basin speak for themselves:

Wikipedia.com
Generally, yes the basin is flat. However the city Los Angeles is far from flat (Ladera Heights, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Boyle Heights, Hollywood Hills). That is what we are talking about, not the entire South Bay or Gateway Region (hehe).

If you want to consider Carson and Long Beach to be suburbs of LA then I won't argue with that, but to say that they remind you of Houston kind of proves my point right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 01:58 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
The entire LA Basin is FLAT just like Houston.

Wikipedia.com
So, the flat part of Los Angeles is as flat as the flat part, if not all, of Houston.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:05 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Generally, yes the basin is flat. However the city Los Angeles is far from flat (Ladera Heights, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Boyle Heights, Hollywood Hills). That is what we are talking about, not the entire South Bay or Gateway Region (hehe).

If you want to consider Carson and Long Beach to be suburbs of LA then I won't argue with that, but to say that they remind you of Houston kind of proves my point right?
Houston has The Heights neighborhood too.

Dude, look how much land area the LA Basin covers, its not some small area of the metro either as you make it out to be.

The proof is in the pudding.

You got owned.

Get over it & move on with your life.

Los Angeles isn't this hilly/mountainous paradise Hollywood makes it out to be. Only in some parts of the city is it that way. They sure do fool a lot of people though with that little illusion, I'm not one of them.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:09 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
LA is twice as dense as Houston, true, but its also had decades of growth head start.

In 50 more years Houston will be as dense as LA is now.

In 50 more years LA will be lucky to even exist with all those fires, mudslides, & earthquakes. The next big one is on its way I fear. LA is long over due.

Houston has hurricanes to worry about, but that's it, even then the city is far enough inland from the coast (~50 miles) where it doesn't take the brunt of the storm, Galveston Island does. Over 5 million people were evacuated during Rita, I was one of them.

In a hurricane you also have days, sometimes weeks in advance to batten down the hatch or leave, a luxury that is not there with any one of LA's natural disasters. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is.
Better start praying for that big one now, otherwise Houston won't match L.A. population in your lifetime. As for density, the L.A. basin can match Houston's entire CSA population in less than 600 sq miles. They're worlds apart in terms of density.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,990 times
Quote:
The entire LA Basin is FLAT just like Houston.

"The Los Angeles Basin is the coastal sediment-filled plain located between the Peninsular and Transverse ranges in southern California"

Plain meaning flat BTW

Plain - A large area of flat land with few trees.

Houston is located on the Coastal Plains of Texas

How much more do you need this broken down, guy?

Wikipedia.com
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Yes, the LA basin is flat but as the photo shows it almost entirely surrounded by mountains.

What those in LA call a "hill" like the Hollywood Hills are what a Texan would call a mountain chain.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Dude, look how much land area the LA Basin covers, its not some small area of the metro either as you make it out to be.

We are talking about the city of Los Angeles, which does not take up very much of the LA Basin. No one got "owned" on this thread, you nor me. (this thread is way off topic now, sorry )

Quote:
Los Angeles isn't this hilly/mountainous paradise Hollywood makes it out to be. Only in some parts of the city is it that way. They sure do fool a lot of people though with that little illusion, I'm not one of them.
Or the gang-infested third world country it is also often portrayed as...

Old 01-20-2012, 02:27 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,928 times
Quote:

You got owned.

Get over it & move on with your life.

Yea you're right don't listen to the rest of these guys this is what the grand majority of people not just in LA but the whole CSA live in

Old 01-20-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Yea you're right don't listen to the rest of these guys this is what the grand majority of people not just in LA but the whole CSA live in
Doesn't look that bad.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:31 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Doesn't look that bad.
what do you mean by that?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:38 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
The only part of dt Houston that remind me of dt LA somewhat is Louisiana St in dt Houston and Fig in dt LA. Both streets are on the western edge of each dt. Both are one way heading north. Both have some of the major skyscrapers and hotel or hotels. That is it imo. Sometimes certain streets look like Philly to me or Newark. In no way shape or form does it remind me of dt Seattle and I lived there for years. Nor dt Atlanta! Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City