Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Midwest fight, which city is best. highrise buildings, and architecture, to parks and waterfronts.
Milwaukee 15 7.50%
Detroit 14 7.00%
Chicago 100 50.00%
Indianapolis 12 6.00%
St. Louis 20 10.00%
Minneapolis 26 13.00%
Cleveland 13 6.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:17 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
i would think that Milwaukee is larger than Columbus in its MSA. Last time I checked it had over 2 million people.
I knew someone would try to call me out on it...that's why I said "off the top of my head"...so I looked it up this evening.

Columbus is indeed ahead of Milwaukee's MSA.

COlumbus in at #29, Milwaukee at #32...Columbus has 1.9M, Milwaukee 1.7M

I didnt check the rest...but the last half are all fairly close to each other, so I apologize if I get some mixed up...but I think for the most part my MSA size rankings are accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 07:37 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
It should also be noted that St. Louis City as a whole has a lot of things that most other Midwestern cities do not have. It has a significantly large Midtown which is growing, which I essentially consider close enough to downtown to be considered downtown extended, and right behind Midtown is the Central West End, and then just 4 miles west of the central west end is Downtown Clayton. St. Louis has one of the largest Midtowns I've ever seen. Midtown Cleveland's midtown is NOTHING compared to it, although it does have Lakewood and Akron. All Indy has is its downtown. St. Louis and Cleveland feature multiple skylines, and Downtown St. Louis has many future projects which could significantly increase its population if built...the Ballpark Village, a complex of office and condo towers and retail space, is expected to begin its first phase of construction this year. The Bottle District is also expected to finally begin groundbreaking later this year. St. Louis City has MANY proposals which have already been approved...so really...you can't make a joke out of St. Louis for much longer. As a metro, you can't make a joke about it period. I don't know about anyone else, but I just think it makes a whole lot more sense to represent a city by its metro area....not just the city itself. It's like comparing Minneapolis to Chicago and pretending that St. Paul, which is literally right across the river and obviously essentially the same city and is virtually family to Minneapolis, does not exist. The same thing is with St. Louis..it's like pretending St. Louis County, whose easternmost point is just 6 miles from downtown, does not exist.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,109 times
ajf131 - very good, insightful, and hopefully helpful post!

however,,, just a note of caution - by the same token, using your argument of expanding the area to include not just the downtown, but the surrounding areas, even those areas that might be on the other side of a river, ummmm,,,

Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 PM

102 posts, read 454,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
It's like comparing Minneapolis to Chicago and pretending that St. Paul, which is literally right across the river and obviously essentially the same city and is virtually family to Minneapolis, does not exist. The same thing is with St. Louis..it's like pretending St. Louis County, whose easternmost point is just 6 miles from downtown, does not exist.
St. Paul is not essentially the same city as Minneapolis. They are very different cities. Culture, nightlife, activities, downtowns are all different between the cities. I get what you are saying about representing a city by its metro area but in the case of the Twin Cities I think it is better to seperate the two when comparing them to other cities. I could point out tons of similarites between Minneapolis and Chicago. But Chicago and St. Paul? No way.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
ajf131 - very good, insightful, and hopefully helpful post!

however,,, just a note of caution - by the same token, using your argument of expanding the area to include not just the downtown, but the surrounding areas, even those areas that might be on the other side of a river, ummmm,,,
I know...should've been more careful about that one....when dealing with St. Louis, stick strictly to the Missouri side The difference with the Twin Cities is that they are both in Minnesota. St. Louis is in Missouri, not Illinois, even though the Metro East is considered part of the metro area. If East St. Louis were in Missouri, you could bet millions it would be in better shape....East St. Louis and St. Louis while in the same metro area are run by two different states.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:23 AM

607 posts, read 2,980,105 times
Detroit, since I attend WSU and love the area, downtown. then chicago since it's a nice city, and I grew up in the chicago area. the rest I couldn't careless about.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:34 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicman25 View Post
St. Paul is not essentially the same city as Minneapolis. They are very different cities. Culture, nightlife, activities, downtowns are all different between the cities. I get what you are saying about representing a city by its metro area but in the case of the Twin Cities I think it is better to seperate the two when comparing them to other cities. I could point out tons of similarites between Minneapolis and Chicago. But Chicago and St. Paul? No way.
This Twin Citizen could not agree with you more, sonicman. It does get tough to define which city some of the suburbs are, such as Burnsville and Apple Valley, but then that reflects the ubiquity, anonymity and blandness of suburbs. There is cross-commuting between the cities and many go to Mpls to see the T-wolves play but to St Paul to see the Wild play, or to Mpls to see one Broadway production but to St. Paul to see another one. But ask any citizen of either city where they are from and they will name the city. Ask a suburbanite and they'll say just "Minnesota", "Twin Cities", or a few may say "Minneapolis".

Old 07-26-2007, 12:22 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,209 times
Why don't they combine St. Paul and Minneapolis.They would get more benfits for being a city of about 600,000.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Why don't they combine St. Paul and Minneapolis.They would get more benfits for being a city of about 600,000.
I would suspect for the same reason that they won't combine Cleveland and Akron.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,209 times
Akron and Cleveland are farther away from each other through,and theres areas bettween them that are other suburbs,I thought St. Paul was like 7 miles from MNPLS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City