Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:10 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Jerry Jones was stopping them, that's why. But as far as it's too late for Dallas. It's 100% false. And they are building in Dallas. Tomorrow the Ritz opens, the M-O hotel opens in 2 years in a 600 foot tower. A 542 foot scraper will break ground in downtown Dallas at the end of the year or the beginning of 2008. To say they are not trying to become a dense city is false.
Well they're not doing it right, in my opinion.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
First off with the NYC, Chicago comparision. New Yorks' metro is almost twice the size of Chicagos' while Houstons is only a few percentage points larger than Atlantas' so no comparision there.
That was just an example. Had nothing to do with size.

Quote:
The Oil Industry alone can not make a city superior. If that were the case major cities in Saudi Arabia and other OPEC giants would be far more important than New York, London, Tokyo or most other cities.
Also, just an example. Houston's economy extends far beyond oil.

Quote:
More railroad traffic passes through the state of Georgia than any other state outside of Texas and Atlanta is the focal point of all that railroad traffic.
Being connected to the rest of the continent isn't comparable to being connected to the rest of the world. Having a port is a major major major advantage, and no one can deny it.

Quote:
Buckhead is loaded with millionaires.
No one said that the Atlanta area didn't have any millionaires.

Quote:
Atlanta is one of the biggest producers of transportation equipment in the Southeast. Planes from Lockheed Marietta helped win WWII and that plant is still in operation. For years Americas most popular car (the Ford Taurus) were produced in Atlanta.

Georgia Tech Graduates earn more money than graduates of any other engineering school and it is a major research center.
Okay. I guess a Houston fact would go here, but I'm sleepy.

Quote:
Atlanta is a huge convention center.
I believe Houston is a bigger one.

Quote:
I already named many of the celebrities that are attracted to Atlanta and have since thought of more. Still haven't heard who's moved to Houston other than a couple of ball players.
Who cares about celebrities when your town has billionaires and royalty?

Quote:
The amount of Artistic talent coming from Atlanta from muscians to actors and writers dwarfs Houston.
Atlanta is fortunate to have a good deal of popular music labels in its area. Record labels that are giving just about anybody a record deal nowadays, but I wouldn't call a lot of what comes out of that city talent. I'm sure we'd rather have quality than quantity. Now as far as actors, I don't know any that hail from Atlanta, but I know plenty of household names from Houston.

Quote:
Atlantans were at the forefront of the Civil Rights movement while Houston was not a notable participant.
I'm sure that's because there was still turmoil in the Houston area. Just like a lot of other places in the South. Atlanta was blessed with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Who could have easily chosen any other city.

Quote:
I can watch a movie on TBS, news on CNN, cartoon on Cartoon Network, weather on Weather Channel, anywhere in America and much of the world. Houstons only produces local television.
I willingly admit that this is one of a few areas that Atlanta trumps Houston badly. This is also the reason that some people are convinced that Atlanta is more important than Houston (forget oil, the world needs their TBS). But hey, what can Houston do? Maybe we need to get off of our ass and produce some channels.

Quote:
The great majority of my black friends family and associates all over America are way way more familiar with Atlanta than Houston.
Good for your black friends. Afterall, Atlanta is the black mecca. Also, see above comment.

Quote:
While you dissmiss Atlantas' transit system as unimportant it would cost billions for Houston to build a subway system the size of Atlanta (and Atlanta's had this system for over 25 years now.) And Atlanta has definately seen some major projects sprout up around MARTA stations. Lindberg, Atlantic Station (connected to Arts Centre station), Perimeter Center, and several new highrise condos in Midtown and Buckhead use proxmity to MARTA stations as one of their selling points.
No one said that transit systems weren't important. They're just not as extremely vital as a city's economy. If they were, then tons of cities would be ranked above Houston. Fortunately, we have enough going for us that HOU's lack of public transportation is viewed by many as a minor flaw. It's not like you can't breathe without it.

Quote:
Atlanta lags only New York and Houston in the number of fortune 500 companies for the 6th year in a row. Which means it leads many of the cities you say it doesn't compare to in that catagory.
Fortune 500 companies are very cool and important to have, but they don't make a city. Because neither Houston or Atlanta are considered more important than Los Angeles, Chicago, or San Francisco.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
What I'm getting at is you say Houston is a more desirable city for so many reasons. If that is the case why do so many more famous people seem to prefer moving to Atlanta.
How desirable a city is cannot be measured by the number of celebrities that live there. That makes no sense.

Quote:
Even Houstons' own Kenny Rogers has moved here, owns an architect firm where he is working with Donald Trump on designs for the new Trump Tower that will be built in Atlanta (Someone needs to tell him and Trump that Houston is more important I guess).
Trump Towers have nothing to do with how important a city is. New Orleans and Tampa are getting one.

Quote:
Some none rappers from Atlanta that have produced gold records, or other achievements include:
112, Jagged Edge, Usher, Gladys Knight, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Cameo, Kelly Rowland, Chilli (of TLC), Ciara, Monica, Indigo Girls, Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt,
Kelly Rowland is from Houston.

Quote:
Yes CNN has grown to have studios in New York, LA, and overseas but it was started in and still is headquarted in little ole unimportant Atlanta.
There you guys go again. Who said Atlanta wasn't important?

Old 08-15-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Again, we have had the Olympics and Houston hasn't. Say what you want. We may have not had the best Olympics, but we're also the only Olympic city not to incur massive debt due to infusion of business money and philanthropy. Also, Houston did not host millions of folks from all over the world over two weeks because of the moon landing. The only images that people saw on the TV at that time were that of the moon and not Houston.
Again, Atlanta has hosted an Oympic show and New York City hasn't. What's your point?

Quote:
Houstonians love pulling that one little chart out of their pockets every chance they get. We don't need a chart. When you quench your thirst with a Coke, get your news from CNN, learn the weather forecast from the Weather Channel, ship your gifts through UPS, have a layover at Hartsfield Int'l, or buy your a ceiling fan at Home Depot, or turn on the radio and listen to hip hop or country, you'll be reminded of Atlanta.
Oh, shut up. You know that chart was an eye sore to you, lol. Fact of the matter is, the people that composed that list used an extensive amount of criteria. More than we could ever imagine handling.

I prefer Pepsi, get my weather forecast from the local news, most of my stuff comes thru FedEx, everyone despises Hartsfield and its rude employees, I do not shop at the tacky Home Depot, when I listen to country, I think of Tennessee and when I listen to hip hop, I think of New York.

Quote:
Houston is not much bigger than Atlanta--5.5 million versus 5.1 million. It does not, nor ever will, dominate Atlanta.
Keep telling yourself that, little guy. In the mean time, don't you dare put any of Houston's fuel into your car.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:29 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Shoot. In what way was I not right? This person is oblivious to the facts. No matter what I try to explain to him, if it doesn't have Atlanta coming out on top, he doesn't want to hear. Similar to milquetoast with L.A.
No, no, no. I don't care if Atlanta comes out on top, all that I'm saying is that one doesn't dominate the other. Sheez.

Quote:
Again, Atlanta has hosted an Oympic show and New York City hasn't. What's your point?
Just like Houston, New York has tried and failed to get the Olympics a few times, but Atlanta pulled it off.

Quote:
I prefer Pepsi, get my weather forecast from the local news, most of my stuff comes thru FedEx, everyone despises Hartsfield and its rude employees, I do not shop at the tacky Home Depot, when I listen to country, I think of Tennessee and when I listen to hip hop, I think of New York.
Yeah, OK. You're a hater, but you get my point about how things produced in Atlanta affect the lives of most people around the world...at least I hope.

Quote:
I believe Houston is a bigger one.
Nope...see previous post. Atlanta is ranked #5 in both conventions and business travel in the US and ahead of Houston in both categories.

Quote:
Atlanta was blessed with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Who could have easily chosen any other city.
Oh lord... Who chooses where they are BORN and RAISED? Now our other Nobel Prize winner, Jimmy Carter, did choose to live here when he was governor and maintain a residence here after his presidency.

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that, little guy. In the mean time, don't you dare put any of Houston's fuel into your car.
And in the meantime, don't you dare step out the house or turn on the TV and come across something produced in Atlanta.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Quote:
Yes, we know that Houston is a port city and that it anchors that Gulf Coast. Both cities are different logistics wise, but still handle the same amount of freight. Atlanta also has one of the highest levels of industrial space in the nation due to its convenient proximity to both the East Coast and Midwest.
Houston has a bunch more. That nations highest concentration of factories and refineries are here.

Quote:
So you concentrate most of your upscale retail in one mall. Lenox and Phipps are located across the street from each other in Buckhead. There are boutiques all over Buckhead, as well as in Vinings, Virginia Highland, Alpharetta, Dunwoody, and Midtown.
No...the Galleria is larger than both combined. Post Oak is also home to many boutiques and shops (all high end). Check out Uptown Park sometime.

Quote:
And Houston basically just charmed their way into the Super Bowl? You can say what you want, but the bottom line is that we hosted the Olympics. And not just any Olympics, but the Centennail Olympics. Athens is still mad that we're were chosen over them. Also, we have hosted more Final Fours and Super Bowls than Houston.
Nope. Houston has hosted two Super Bowls (like Atlanta), and has hosted many Final Fours, with another one coming in 2011. About the Olympics, Atlanta BOUGHT them! They were perceived as a disaster by many. The IOC didn't even say "best Olympic games yet", just a "Well done Atlanta". Atlanta and Salt Lake City basically had the same scandals...buying the Olympics (bribing the IOC).

Wow, above Houston by one number. Big deal.

Quote:
I can promise you that Houston does not have as many Federal government offices as Atlanta. However, I already did know that Houston has its share of prominent universities as well.
Of course it doesn't because Houston isn't a state capitol.

Quote:
Again, we have had the Olympics and Houston hasn't. Say what you want. We may have not had the best Olympics, but we're also the only Olympic city not to incur massive debt due to infusion of business money and philanthropy. Also, Houston did not host millions of folks from all over the world over two weeks because of the moon landing. The only images that people saw on the TV at that time were that of the moon and not Houston.
New York, Chicago, and San Francisco hasn't hosted the Olympics either... And again, Atlanta's Olympics were subpar at best. The bombing was a disaster. Atlanta basically ruined any city's chance (that is of around the same size as it, or similar in the South), from hosting an Olympics. You all there keep dwelling on the past so much.

Quote:
Houstonians love pulling that one little chart out of their pockets every chance they get. We don't need a chart. When you quench your thirst with a Coke, get your news from CNN, learn the weather forecast from the Weather Channel, ship your gifts through UPS, have a layover at Hartsfield Int'l, or buy your a ceiling fan at Home Depot, or turn on the radio and listen to hip hop or country, you'll be reminded of Atlanta.
May I say again that Atlanta hip-hop is wack. What is this "snap yo fingers" crap? Atlanta is ruining hip-hop. But, when I quinch my thirst with a Pepsi, get news from Fox News, learn the weather forecast from my own local news, ship my gifts through FedEx, don't have a layover in the worst U.S. airport (I want to get where I am going), and buy my ceiling fan from Lowe's...I won't think of Atlanta. Regardless of that, Houston has about twice as many Fortune 500 companies as Atlanta...and our's are more profitable...

Quote:
Houston is not much bigger than Atlanta--5.5 million versus 5.1 million. It does not, nor ever will, dominate Atlanta.
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,345 times
Quote:
get news from Fox News
You get your news from FOX??? That explains a lot.

Atlanta got the Olympics fair and square and compared to Athens, they ran smoothly. We're not in debt up to our eyeballs like all other Olympic cities as well. Don't blame the bombing on the fact that Houston continues to fail at attracting the Olympics.

Quote:
May I say again that Atlanta hip-hop is wack. What is this "snap yo fingers" crap? Atlanta is ruining hip-hop.
As far as Atlanta hip hop, outside of Outkast, the Goodie Mob, and the Dungeon Family, I don't like it too much either. In fact, I'm a big fan of some of Houston's rappers--especially Scarface and UGK (yes Port Arthur, but close enough). Hey but what's popular is what's popular and the truth is is that you hear snapfinger music on the radio a lot more than you here "screw".

Quote:
But, when I quinch my thirst with a Pepsi, get news from Fox News, learn the weather forecast from my own local news, ship my gifts through FedEx, don't have a layover in the worst U.S. airport (I want to get where I am going), and buy my ceiling fan from Lowe's...I won't think of Atlanta.
You still won't be able to avoid things that are produced in Atlanta. Coke is more popular than Pepsi worldwide anyway.

Quote:
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Translation: We're big kids too. See!!?? I swear, Houstonians must walk around with that little survey folded in their pockets for some sort of daily affirmation.

But no matter what, ONE DOES NOT DOMINATE THE OTHER.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Quote:
You get your news from FOX??? That explains a lot.
Hell no! It was just an example. I don't really watch the news outside of local news.

Quote:
Atlanta got the Olympics fair and square and compared to Athens, they ran smoothly. We're not in debt up to our eyeballs like all other Olympic cities as well. Don't blame the bombing on the fact that Houston continues to fail at attracting the Olympics.
Man, Atlantan must have this Olympic fact folded in their pocket. That is really the only thing that they can stick to Houston.

Quote:
As far as Atlanta hip hop, outside of Outkast, the Goodie Mob, and the Dungeon Family, I don't like it too much either. In fact, I'm a big fan of some of Houston's rappers--especially Scarface and UGK (yes Port Arthur, but close enough). Hey but what's popular is what's popular and the truth is is that you hear snapfinger music on the radio a lot more than you here "screw".
I am glad. You don't really hear Screw music on the radio because it takes too much time. Songs go for six minutes plus, depending on how they screw it up. I do hear it a lot in Houston though.

Quote:
You still won't be able to avoid things that are produced in Atlanta. Coke is more popular than Pepsi worldwide anyway.
It sure is, but they both taste the same.

Quote:
Translation: We're big kids too. See!!?? I swear, Houstonians must walk around with that little survey folded in their pockets for some sort of daily affirmation.
Check the Olympics sentence.

Quote:
But no matter what, ONE DOES NOT DOMINATE THE OTHER.
Of course not, but Houston is still above.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:12 PM

[quote=south-to-west;1285984]

Quote:
Just like Houston, New York has tried and failed to get the Olympics a few times, but Atlanta pulled it off.
So what is that saying for Atlanta?

Quote:
Yeah, OK. You're a hater, but you get my point about how things produced in Atlanta affect the lives of most people around the world...at least I hope.
Only if they look at the back of their Sprite bottle to see where it was made. And I'm not a hater. It was just jokes.

Quote:
Nope...see previous post. Atlanta is ranked #5 in both conventions and business travel in the US and ahead of Houston in both categories.
Yeah, and both New York and Houston are ranked pretty low on that second one...oh, well. What wonderful company we have at the bottom.

Quote:
Oh lord... Who chooses where they are BORN and RAISED? Now our other Nobel Prize winner, Jimmy Carter, did choose to live here when he was governor and maintain a residence here after his presidency.
Galounger was the one who brought up what cities entertainers hail from. Besides, where you come from can determine how you honed your skill and who you are as a person.

Quote:
And in the meantime, don't you dare step out the house or turn on the TV and come across something produced in Atlanta.
That will be hard because I love TBS, the Situation Room, and T.J. Holmes. But see I like Atlanta, you don't like Houston, though.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's not really a survey. And that list is used by practically every educated individual on this entire website. It is very reliable and very valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City